"Perry Rhodan" about to reboot

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by beamMe, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I can't find it on amazon, where can I buy it? Most bookstores around here don't have Perry Rhodan books, will they get the new one?

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

It's not out yet. Check your local Kiosk or book shops at the train station - they should have them. "Real" book shop usually don't sell them.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Yeah, I figured that out when I saw the release date.:vulcan: I'm just lazy and wanted to preorder it if possible.
    I'll check the store in the train station on the 30th, thank you.:bolian: Now that you mention it, I think that's where I peeked into some of the silver books a few years ago.

4. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I've read a lot of the original series, I liked the first few big arcs, loved the stories involving the great trip the Marco Polo made to the Sombrero nebula. :cool:

I've read from 1-1500, then paused for a while, read 2000 and now and then some of the later stuff.

Not sure what to think of a reboot but since the original is continuing I don't think there's actually anything to complain about.

5. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I haven't found any free version yet... but this week's issue (No. 2612) contains an excerpt of the first two chapters of "Neo"... it left me wanting more ;)

6. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

For those of you who can read German: here you can get the excerpt from NEO issue #1 for free (legally) :)

7. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

And for those who are curious, the "godawful" Perry Rhodan film from 1967..

Mission Stardust

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPWxdCfAumQ[/yt]

It follows the first novel (sorta)..and has bad acting..special effects and a bad script...

Only plus.. it's Italian and has a rather good looking female actress in the love interest role..
    Essy Persson

[​IMG]

8. M4lukes

M4lukes Cadet Newbie

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

^^ What language is that? Spanish? Portuguese?

10. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I am German and there was a time when I was a passionate Perry Rhodan fan. I still have lots of boxes of this series in the loft.

Unfortunately even when I enjoyed the series the beginnings of it were incredibly dated already. I also wasn`t happy with the role of women in Perry Rhodan, something that always bothered me. Nevertheless, some parts of Perry Rhodan were very exciting and well written.

But in time I lost interest. Stories started to drag on more and more and the established characters didn`t get the attention any more they should have. There was too little development that interested me.

I don`t think I will bother with Perry Rhodan again.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Saw a copy of "Perry Rhodan #1 Enterprise Stardust" at the used bookstore and decided to pick it up. Published in 1969 by Ace Books, with an introduction by Forrest J. Ackerman. Cool cover by Gray Morrow, one of my favorite artists.

I'll start reading it tomorrow.

12. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a bit dated. But worth reading. Ackerman hadn't inserted too much juvenile humor into it at that point. That came later, in the second cycle. Gray Morrow did the covers until almost the very end of the American run (over 100 issues) and all of them were excellant.

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I do wonder, though, why it was necessary to do new covers when the original German covers by artist Johnny Bruck were so fantastic.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well let's be honest. Those images are a bit dated. They were fine for fifty years ago but don't work as well today.