What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Bry_Sinclair, Aug 23, 2013.

?

On What Would You Like A New Trek Series Based?

1. A Starship

38 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. A Fleet

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. A Station

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. A Colony

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Other (please specify)

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

Wow, thanks for the insightful comment. Looks like you and BillJ were seriously traumatized by this series. What happened? I won't tell anyone...

Surprising to see such hate for this magnificent series. Did Ron Moore do something wrong? I thought DS9 was very popular on this board? :confused:

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

On DS9 (not my favorite series), Ron Moore was reined in by Ira-Steven Behr and Rick Berman. No one on BSG had authority over Moore and it showed.

3. BillJ

Traumatized? No. Bored out of my mind? Yes.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

The shaky cam made me throw-up.

Then I got bored.

5. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

War and killings still make interesting themes in a TV show or movie, if thought out and executed well.

The problem with fannish ideas on this thread is war and killings is crudely used as an excuse for a new ship with the latest fandango phasers and increased warp factors.

Trek it seems is all about specmanship rather than story and adventure.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I know many didn't like early DS9, but, I really enjoyed getting to know the Bajorans, and all the Religious and Political backstabbing and shady deals (I really enjoyed this in Babylon 5 as well, though, not so much in the Star Wars Prequels).

So, that's what I'd like in a new Star Trek Series, is to get to know a new race, really, really well, inside and out, see they aren't mono-cultural and so on. Of course, I would like to see exploration and very "alien" Aliens as well, but, I'd like to get to really know a new race, and have quite a bit revolve around that. I'm not so fussed about if it's a Prequel or a Sequel or a Sidequel or Prime Universe or whatever. Just give me some exploring of the unknown, good characters, a little dark like DS9 or B5, (but, not hopeless and Dreary with nothing but detestable characters like early SGU and NuBSG)

I like the Abrams movies for what they are, but, of course a couple hours every few years will never be able to go into depth like a Series, no matter how harshly someone wants to judge them for them not doing so.

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

nuBSG is great.
    Maybe it doesn't make sense overall but a huge huge improvement on the original IMHO.

My stupid idea for a new series. Just add it to the list of stupid ideas:

Have a young rebel group in a ship going throughout the galaxy as a sort of group of anti-heros. Like a cool younger version of the Marquis. Maybe have a couple of Vulcan girls aboard (if nuTrek) trying to avoid having babies, maybe some Orion babes having escaped slavery.

Have our Starfleet heroes following this ship trying to capture them (for their own good).

8. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

I agree! Curiously, after all those years of watching DS9 the actual sense of Bajoran culture remains a mystery to me. Partially I think because the whole premise remained their religion and the PTB (Powers That Be) steered clear of ever exploring what their religion entailed.

Yet the same series did a fine job of explaining/exploring the Cardassians and the Ferengi! Indeed, I ended up feeling more knowlegdable about the former than I do the Vulcans!

And give ENT credit for fleshing out the Andorians.

9. David.Blue

I like it! Have a little bit of trouble seeing where such a story can go, without really shaking things up, but I don't mind that!

10. David.Blue

Here's an idea.

STAR TREK: ASGARD

I'm not sure when exactly this would take place. Almost doesn't matter.

Asgard is a planet, Class M, with some unusual properties including some kind of interference with sensors. A group of Federation colonists have established themselves there, social dissidents of some kind. Perhaps they are a group who suffered some kind of trauma together? All are former Maquis or Maquis sympathizers and their families perhaps. Or (and this is really reaching outside the Box) they follow a quasi-religious movement. What makes this difficult is you'd have to actually define what that movement is, its beliefs, and hopefully not take the typical attitude of "all religion is rubbish" or "religion is just super-aliens misunderstood."

The point is, the Colonists are under the protection of the Federation and have to accept a Starfleet scientific outpost to help investigate the planet. It certainly has ruins dating back thousands and thousands of years. What happened to the inhabitants? One of many things Starfleet hopes to learn.

So you have an alien environment, initially rather low on the Federation's priorities, full of mystery and clues and potential dangers. And you have two groups of regulars not particularly at ease with one another, yet bound by location and shared culture.

Two things would seem to me essential:

The blend of characters would need careful consideration. In this btw nuBSG did an outstanding job. So too did Lost at its best and Fringe as well as some others. I'm imagining the two groups gradually growing closer through shared experiences. The great danger is falling into cliches. One way to avoid such is to simply go against type. Imagine a starfleet commanding officer with a distinct psychological resemblance to Garak! Or a Vulcan with the kind of angst demonstrated by B'Ellano Torres.

Second, the stakes would have to get progressively higher. As the secrets of Asgard reveal themselves, that should alter the situation of everyone significantly. Perhaps they'll find the original Asgardians are in cold sleep in caches dotted all over the planet--some destroyed, others damaged. Perhaps they accidentally created a plague that turned their offspring into nothing more than animals! Then again, perhaps they chose to do that to themselves for some reason. At the same time, the Federation and others might find themselves increasingly interested in Asgard, which creates a conflict between our regulars and newcomers.

I suspect Starfleet would put a small space station in orbit, with armed shuttles to protect the colony as well as provide top-level medical care and military-grade sensors. Not a huge place like Deep Space Nine or even Space Station K-7, rather an outpost of a couple of dozen people.

That's something I'd like to see.

11. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i ditto that, it would be amazing to watch, i think it should be post nemesis, but 100 years post to it, then it will be amazing, a really good get to know you show as it were. Really having a in depth character development show, some political struggles and great discovery series.

12. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

Here's what I've been developing in my head for a while. The year would be 2454. The federation has weakened due to a vague connection to STO and the destruction of Romulus. Most people are aware of the past captains, much like people today are familiar with Washington and Jefferson. Kirk and Picard are the most well known, but most people don't really know much about them and the connection to the past is not heavily emphasized.

Starfleet has developed the ability to create an artificial wormhole that can carry a ship to another galaxy. Probes were sent first, but now Starfleet has decided to send an explorer ship and a secondary scout ship with hopes of finding a planet to colonize. Also, the ships are charged with the regular mission to seek out new life and new civilizations.

The ship would be in contact with Starfleet, but Starfleet would give the ship's captain more autonomy.

To answer the question, I'd like to see a combination of a main ship, a colony eventually established, a space station and eventually a caravan of ships.

13. SolitaryJustice

SolitaryJustice Lieutenant Red Shirt

I want a series set up maybe 15 or 20 years after DS9 ended, but in the Abrams-verse. In this universe, (because of the comic where the Narada was upgraded with Borg technology), somehow the Borg are advanced and SUPER scary. The Dominion somehow are more advanced, too. Our heroes are on a small, junky ship (like Serenity), trying to stay off the Dominion's radar and away from assimilation. We find one of Guinan's people, an El-Aurian, who knows the timeline is different, we view her as an oracle, and the show goes from there to find clues and fix the timeline. Bam!

14. David.Blue

Thank you very much.

Problem now is--I'm imagining how to set this up. Went to sleep last night imagining the name of the type of shuttle they'd use--a more advanced version of the Runabout. Came up with Starwing and Farrunner. Come to think of it, methinks Farwing would work best.

And I came up with a character. The first generation of colonists (again, assuming they initially shared a major common experience and/or trauma) included a Vulcan and Andorian who married. Their child elected to join Starfleet and is now assigned to the Space Station, probably as a pilot. Looks like a blond Vulcan with blue skin. Parents dead now, with some unresolved issues, cannot help but end up a kind of unofficial liaison between the two groups.

Likewise I'm imagining Asgard itself lies just within a nebula, somewhat difficult to find. Further study shows it was terraformed half a million years ago, but by whom? Because the ruins are nowhere near that old.

Meanwhile I'm imagining some other polity nearby, a people who were once wealthy and powerful but somehow lost it all long long ago. Not unlike Babylon Five's Centauri or the Bajorans, or Land of the Lost's Sleestaks.

Arrrrgggggg!!!!!!

15. Sindatur

Why do people keep talking about "fixing the timeline"? There's nothing wrong with it, it's a completely seperate time line, right alongside the Prime Timeline (The Primetime still exists and plays out exactly as we've seen for the past 50 years). If you want something set in the Prime time line, simply set it in the Prime Time line and do what you want there. Would anyone suggest "fixing" The Mirror Universe? The Alternate Time Line didn't erase or corrupt the Prime Time Line, it simply made a new one.

16. SolitaryJustice

Historically, in Star Trek, when the timeline is "broken", it gets "fixed". When Nero went back, he changed time. Now, if you subscribed to The Doctor's statement that there are fixed points in time that cannot be changed, then Nero's incursion would have happened in the Prime Verse... but this isn't Doctor Who. It's Star Trek. Star Trek makes things right, or else the Enterprise C wouldn't have been sent back to die. Needs of the many. The timeline is changed. Who knows what life is going to be like almost 200 years after Kirk and Spock? How do we know that the Narada didn't automatically jump-start the Borg? It was built with Borg technology, after all? So being faced with a future where humans, Klingons, Ferengi, Tholians, Vulcans, Romulans, Bajorans, they're all on the fringe, working together to fight a huge foe, sacrificing everything they are to restore a timeline where all of these races have fought together to keep the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant and the Borg in the Delta Quadrant, where there is peace for our half of the galaxy... I think that's more than fixing something that's not broken... I think that's something we, as an audience, could get behind and root for, whether we know what the Prime timeline looks like or not, it's gotta be better than what we (could) have.

17. Sindatur

Again, The Abrams Time Line, didn't replace the Prime Time Line, they are running side by side, we just happen to be watching the Abrams Time Line. The Prime Time Line is still there intact, unbroken

18. SolitaryJustice

Except for part where it doesn't exist anymore after Kirk's birthday. You see, what happened is that Nero and Spock Prime came from Prime Future, and when they came back, they changed the timeline. The Prime Timeline from Nero's incursion point onwards was/is being replaced by the Abrams Time Line. It's overwriting the Prime Timeline. They're not running side by side. This universe runs parallel to the Mirror Universe, which is differently entirely. That actually IS a separate timeline, with its own events that only slightly (when someone jumps across) effects this timeline. However, the future of, say, my great great grandson, who may have grown up to see Pike and the Talosians, will now see Kirk and the iEnterprise and a Kahn who is British.

19. SolitaryJustice

20. BillJ

Go watch the season seven TNG episode Parallels. Then you'll understand why the Abramsverse is separate from the Prime Timeline. :techman: