Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone - July 2014

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

So I just spotted this on startrek.com:

[​IMG]
    What do you think? I, for one, am intrigued by the prospect of a new, original IDW comic that isn't Abramsverse-oriented.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It sounds like it could be fun.

3. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Cool. Nice to see some non-Abrams comics again.

4. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

^^^ Yes, I'm looking forward to some non-FuTrek too!!!

ME

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I assume Phlox and McCoy will be represented either through flashbacks (perhaps tied into journal entries) or as holodeck recreations.

I'm wondering about the licensing implications. IDW has never had the license to VGR or ENT. Were they given special permission for this story? Then again, we've seen Tuvok in The Last Generation, so maybe bringing in one character as a "guest star" doesn't require the whole series license.

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

If you don't like the alternate reality Trek, then ignore it. You serve no purpose in bringing up your dislike for that iteration of Trek in a thread about a prime Trek production.

Has the life expectancy of Denobulans been established? Axanar and Vulcans can live for centuries. Phlox may still be alive. OTOH, the cover shows a young McCoy and Phlox doesn't show sign of age, making Christopher's idea more likely.

I'm looking forward to this comic!

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems weird to be that they would do such a fanwanky crossover comic and NOT include the new McCoy too.

McCOY PRIME (looking over his counterpart): "I'm a doctor, not a bodybuilder!"

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Phlox has been briefly depicted by IDW in a previous comic already.
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Against_Their_Nature

The EMH might be the one from "First Contact".

9. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I am looking forward to this! Should be fun to have all the doctors "Together"

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seven of Nine also had a prominent role in Braga's Hive series. Or did Braga's involvement in that negate any licensing concerns?

There was one Enterprise episode (I think it's The Breach from season 2) where Phlox mentions a grandmother who was 200 or 300 years old, making it possible Phlox could still be alive in the 24th century. Of course, then you have season 3's E2 where Phlox didn't seem to be around on the future NX-01. Although that could be explained as he was killed one of the times the ship was in combat.

11. Christopher

Doubtful, because he doesn't own the characters, CBS does. I guess there's enough flexibility in the licensing deal to permit guest stars, or maybe they can be licensed on a case-by-case basis.

Except we don't know how old he already was at the time of the series. He was already old enough to have adult children, at least. I could buy him surviving to the 23rd century, but the 24th is a stretch.

12. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I don't usually go for the comics, but this one looks really good! Must get.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The Six Doctors anyone ? ;)

14. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I hope it's a fun story - this would literally be the first ever crossover to feature characters from all 5 series !! :)

15. Christopher

Ahem...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Brave_and_the_Bold

Also, Destiny arguably features characters from all five series if you count Leonard James Akaar, who appeared as a newborn infant in TOS: "Friday's Child." And DTI: Watching the Clock includes characters from all five series if you count TAS as a continuation of TOS, since Loom Aleek-Om from "Yesteryear" is in it. Although, granted, neither features lead characters from all five series -- but TB&TB does.

16. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

OK first single official [not that the books aren't official - counting fan fiction] story to feature main characters from all 5 series ;)

17. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I think it would be needlessly confusing, actually. "Why are there two McCoys? How did AltMcCoy get there?" On a fanwank-level, sure, why not. But altMcCoy adds nothing to the pot, really. Ostensibly, Urban's McCoy is the closest to the original character, too.

I have a feeling, based on the floating heads for Pulaski, McCoy and Phlox that we're going to see the EMH, Crusher and Bashir using log entries from the past.

That is a rather odd depiction of Bashir, though. (And the uniform shoulders are mis-colored.)

18. Christopher

^Right. Both McCoys are the same person, just in different timelines. You might as well have the two Saaviks or the three Tora Ziyals meet.

19. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I think most people will only count a story as a true 5-series crossover if the main characters from each series actually appear together in the same scenes and same timeframe.
    I know, right? The blurb claims that Crusher, Pulaski, Bashir, and the EMH are at a conference, and so they must all be together in person at some point not long after Voyager's return. So it doesn't make sense for Bashir and the Doctor to be wearing mid-DS9/VOY TV uniforms.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you look closely they also have the post-First Contact uniform ribbing on the shoulders, so I think someone just screwed up when they were adding the colors.
    I'm not sure what you mean here. The comics and books are both licensed through CBS, so they are both equally official.