Buffy or Angel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by amdmiami, Aug 10, 2008.

?

Which show do you prefer?

1. Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

45.8%
  2. Angel: The series

54.2%
  1. amdmiami

amdmiami Commander Red Shirt

This often comes up a lot about which show you prefer the most. Personally, I love Buffy more because there's something about it that Angel could never recapture. I think it has something to do with the characters.

Which show do you prefer?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Firefly.

Er, sorry. Angel.

3. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Firefly likely would have surpassed Angel, but alas, Fox was governed by absolute morons at the time.

Hence, Angel was the more mature, better series. (Buffy was great but never really matured to where Angel did)

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Buffy has more fun moments, but Angel tells strong more consistently.

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I absolutely love Buffy, but Angel was the more mature, and better written series. Buffy more or less remained pretty light through out its run. Angel was always a bit darker and deeper. Angel was able to establish its own identity separate from Buffy. Few spinoffs can truly say that.

6. acs12798

acs12798 Captain Captain

Angel. I like the more solid stories of Angel. Also, while Buffy was more comedic in general, I think I laughed out loud more watching Angel. I also began to dislike Buffy(the character) as the show went on. Angel, on the other hand, I liked as a character more and more as the show went on.

7. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Angel, it was darker, more mature, better written and better acted.

8. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

My head says Angel, but my heart says Buffy. I know Angel was the darker, better-written series, and I was as hooked on Angel as I was on Buffy when I first bought them on DVD. Buffy was the show I watched growing up though (well, the first few seasons) and there's just this chemistry between the characters that is never quite the same on Angel, especially seasons 1-3 when they were all still at school. And that's taking into account the huge drop off in quality in the later years.

9. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Angel, for pretty much the same reasons that everybody has already listed.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I love both shows, although, out of the Whedon shows to date, I think I'd have to pick Angel as my favourite. I think Firefly could have surpassed it in time, but it didn't get the chance.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Apples and Oranges. Common characters and continuity aside, they're two very different shows. For personal preference I vote Buffy, but that's not a measure of which is "better", just my tastes. What tipped the scales for me is that Buffy had more experimental episodes and dared to try radically different things. The one where everyone's voices were stolen, the musical one, the one where Buff hallucinates that she's really in an institution (more the the severly dark ending than the actual episode) and of course the one where she finds Joyce on the couch.

As for Angel...it never felt right after Cordelia left. By that I mean became a higher being. Everything that happened after that with her wasn't the same character.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  12. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Arrgh, it's Sophie's choice all over again! ;)

I love Buffy, but I'd have to say Angel overall for consistency and brilliance from start to finish.
    Although in 20-30 years or so, when I look back at "the Buffyverse" it will always be Buffy that first comes to mind, mainly the core four of Buffy, Xander, Willow and Giles researching in the library

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Buffy.

14. Jen

Jen Vice Admiral Admiral

I gotta say Angel. Like most people, I love both shows, but there was something about Angel that made it "click" better than Buffy. I'm thinking it was the characters in addition to the wonderful and strong storylines that kept getting better as time went on.

15. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Angel. Definately.

Buffy was high school. Angel was adult life.

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

They both became difficult to watch in their last season or two. Personally, I found Angel fell apart more than Buffy, and was harder to watch. Buffy's last season was pretty bad, but still had some fun moments. Angel's last was just unbearable. Buffy was more fun overall, throughout its run.

17. Gaius Baltar

Gaius Baltar Commander Red Shirt

I have to agree that angel was more consistent, better written and darker apart from Connor. I found his character even more annoying than dawn. However i still voted for Buffy. It was the show i grew up watching so i have a better connection with the characters and so many found memories. It will always be my favourite show.

18. acs12798

acs12798 Captain Captain

I would also like to add, the while I voted Angel, I probably liked seasons 1 through 3 of Buffy more than either show stand alone. My vote was kind of season 4-7 of Buffy versus Angel, since Angel was on Buffy for seasons 1 through 3. As a whole, I did prefer Angel because I really didn't like Buffy nearly as much after he left. I would however, take season 1-3 of Buffy over Angel.

I actually just finished watching Buffy and Angel for the first time a couple months ago. And I remember that I would have to force myself to stop watching Angel episodes so Buffy would keep up. I didn't have that problem the other way around. Thats what I am really basing my vote upon too. Admittedly Buffy was less serialized than Angel which probably let into the not needing to the episode, but I just remember being more excited to keep watching Angel.

19. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

As far as fantasy goes... Angel was a much more likely storyline. Buffy? come on! A cheerleader? and the whole, 'when one dies another wakes up' - and that whole storyline...

Of course, the whole ...(what was her name?) Zoe storyline wasn't much better. the conner storyline had potential till he and ...what's her name ...

You know, everything was fine until that season, then it went to hell.

20. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Former cheerleader. And that was kinda the whole point of the premise.....tiny blonde cheerleader goes into dark alley, kicks monster ass. Joss Whedon has made a career out of taking the expected and doing the exact opposite.