Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I know there are a few interpretations on the exact size, personally I have no problem with it being about the size of the Ent C or the Ent D. I just knew from the first few shots in the film that it was bigger than the original, considerably bigger.

I want a newly refitted Vengeance as the new Enterprise A if they go that way at any time, would be absolutely boss.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Or at the very least a technical manual or two.

Mind you there has been some great non official diagrams done over the years which show how everything would fit nicely in a circa 700m ship.

3. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Here is my opinion on the matter.
    The size of the vessel should depend on the crew compliment. If NuTrek Enterprise is suppose to have 1000 crewmembers on board, then it should be bigger than the PrimeTrek Original Enterprise, which I believe should be around 400+. Interestingly, during Captain Pike's era, the crew compliment was around the high 200+ members.
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter what the Enterprise's size is because we all know, based upon the trailer, it gets destroyed. Thus, it's anybody's guess as to what the ship will look like or what its size will be. It would be funny if the Enterprise's replacement will be the exact same type of ship, but sleeker; it will be funnier if the ship replacement is based upon the USS Vengeance (LOL). Can't wait, either way...

4. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pike actually stated his crew complement as 203.

5. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Crew compliment isn't a good predictor of size; if years after launch they find ways to automate half the ship's functions, they're not going to strip it down and make it smaller, right?

Going by real life space craft and air craft, there are two considerations for size, in order of importance:
    1) The size of the payload
    2) The size of the engines

The reboot Enterprise probably has a much bigger science payload than the original; more probes, more sensors, more equipment, more labs and WAY more researchers to run them all. It also has in the neighborhood of 30 very large shuttlecraft and a large weapons bay with two to three dozen additional photon torpedo tubes.

It also has a flippin ENORMOUS warp core feeding two equally enormous warp nacelles. So the combination of huge payload + huge engine = huge starship.

The ship may still be perfectly operable with a crew of only 200, but it has ROOM for way more because it can do more things. I'd guess a compliment between 700 and 1100.

Gonzo likes this.
  6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Funny thing about crew compliment, a Nimitz class carrier has a crew of five thousand, yet is only three hundred meters.

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The crew quarters on a Nimitz class carrier are a sardine can.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, some ships triple stack bunks and push as many of those in as they can.

In Trek they all have an apartment to themselves.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just bumped into this Facebook page completely by accident. Guessing their hopes and dreams were dashed by Into Darkness (bet they just loved the USS Vengeance!) Kinda like the cutaway, attempting to squish everything into a much smaller frame.

10. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That cutaway is fun, but I notice they don't address how the bridge-window is supposed to fit in there.

Gonzo likes this.
  11. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

:guffaw:

Can't believe they actually thought setting up a Facebook page would have any effect at all, they must have been hoping to find huge numbers who agree with them, alas seems it wasn't the success they hoped it would be.

They can setup a twitter feed if they like, it won't make any difference though.

12. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

I have a feeling that this thread will get busy again when the movie comes out.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

By the end of the film, we'll probably have a whole new Enterprise to argue over :ack:

Gonzo, Galileo7 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  14. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

Oh god, it never ends!

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  15. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

The anal retentive fan page ......... I was tempted to comment on this over there.

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this still a thing amongst fans? I assumed people would either have got over it, or just discounted the new films in their own head canon. No updates to that Facebook group in over three years suggests that's the case. Even Bernd Schneider seems to have decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

17. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

With some fans this is still a thing.

in my own headcanon the JJprize is twice the length of Kirk's refit Enterprise and I leave it at that. I'm not that into the whole size / scale thing.

Gonzo likes this.
  18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Gonzo and ATimson like this.
  19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

:lol:

20. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Fun and games shall be had by all, except for those who can't deal with it of course.

Oh look new ship.

Forum meltdown in 3.. 2.. 1..

The denial shall once again be strong, I have no doubt. :guffaw:

I also anticipate... diagrams. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.