Vulcan Fury - Is it out there anywhere?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by PDX Trek, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDX Trek

PDX Trek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi folks,

I have been wanting to play this game since it was first advertised. I know that the project got canned, but I was wondering if there is either a script, cinematics or a beta version of the game out there somewhere?

Can anyone help me find it?

Thanks!!! :vulcan:

2. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Lol, i love when this comes up. I along with others have done some good research into this.

I contacted DC Fontana, she has her work that she did for the script etc.

Interplay was sold to a foreign software company, who never replied to my letter requesting any info about the materials for the game.

There is no playable demo around, a few trailers exist and some great images. My #1 concern is finding the audio recordings done for the game. Most if not all the TOS cast did their voices, and it would be great to resurrect them in some form.

I know that Virogen has/had a great site with all the known materials.

The problem is, the rights and clearances to this stuff is now all defunct and to publish them for public consumption, new contracts and license agreemenets would have to be drawn up between the writers, actors and CBS/Paramount.

3. PDX Trek

I figured that it was something like that. Picard says it best: "MERDE!" :brickwall:

4. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a plan to novelize the script that Dorothy Fontana wrote. But I'm not sure if it ever got off the ground.

Earlier this year, Fontana had this to say about it:

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

When I saw her last, it has not been written.

6. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

I would like to see it written!!!

7. PDX Trek

Well, thanks for the info everyone - maybe I'll get to read the novel someday... :vulcan:

8. Yosef Lindell

Yosef Lindell Lieutenant Red Shirt

For more info on Vulcan Fury see:

Trek Core Gaming

They have images and some details on the story.

And if you're interested in point and click TOS adventure games like Vulcan Fury, I recently wrote one.
    It can be downloaded here:

Star Trek: the Continuing Voyage

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure it was confirmed more than once by at least one of the game dev on their website long ago that all work done on the game was either destroyed or wiped from existence when Interplay went belly up....

Plus reports of the game being nearly finished it seems were vastly exaggerated with it being close to just 20%, which would tally with the game not making its original 1997 release date, and then in 1999 getting cancelled.

If the game was really at 90% complete i think they would have thrown what was there together and got it out the door.

Its a shame really as the The 25th anniversary was the reason i bought a PC in the first place and i was really looking forward the VF...

10. WalkinMan

It would be a real shame if they destroyed the original voice reocrdings, whatever they had, from the TOS cast. We know for certain James Doohan recorded some lines.

The other materials, given the time that has passed and technological innovations, I can understand being left behind...there are screenshots which give an idea of the basic artistic concepts...

11. Delta1

Delta1 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You'd think the success of DOSBox, SCUMMVM, and TellTale Games would show publishers that there's still a niche for the old-fashioned adventure game. If the game could just be completed, it could be sold over the internet, XBox Arcade, etc., and I bet it'd rake in the dough.

At least, it would rake in my dough, which is going to fewer and fewer computer games every year.

Does that abandoned-weapons-platform-on-a-dead-moon idea sound like the Scythe mission from 25th Anniversary to anyone else?

12. Ronald Held

If I had a dollar per post on this topic, I could begin to get some people together to create this game from what is available.

13. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

If anyone has any realistic ideas for trying to track down elements of the game, I would be very interested. For example, was there ever a list of production credits issued for it, like a lead production or managment team, we coud try to contact them.

14. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

there has to be reel or dat recordings of the voices archived somewhere, possibly in the archives at the studio the voices were recorded at.

I can't recall if Interplay had recorded them in house.

Can you imagine how awesome it would be if the voices were combined with CG animation, in the style of those tests that foundation imaging did?

15. WalkinMan

One other angle...perhaps someone at a convention can ask a member of the remaining TOS cast, to see if they remember recording some lines, and at what studio...(Paramount)?

16. Ronald Held

Someone said there was not much done, maybe 20%

17. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Vulcan Fury has now turned into Trek gaming fans Holy Grail.

I even remember that there was also talk that the person who bought interplays equipment, had gotten all the VF stuff and then went onto to scam people out of something like $20.000...OF course this was Internet posted stuff so its unclear if its true or not.

Also its a shame that the only stuff ever released seems to be cut scenes, which has always lead me to believe that VF was indeed more concept and animation tests that actual game play, which is sad. :(

18. Ronald Held

IMO, if it is ever going to get done, it will be by the fans. Has anyone talked to DC about using her script for such an endevour?

19. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the work done on VF was probably DeForrest Kelley's last, it'd be great if it ever saw the light of day. Unfortunately that seems less and less likely. At least we have the fully voiced edition of 'Judgement Rites,' which is a great game.

20. Ronald Held

Who owns the voice tapes and where are they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.