Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

That iTunes version may be the best answer for a lot of folks. Thanks.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I just don't understand how any one can say that "the blue-ray has the best image quality around for TWOK, except that nagging little bit about the color timing. Yeah but other than that, the blue Ray transfer is awesome."

WTF?

Is picture clarity for each fragment of a pixel so much more important than having planets and ships and people and sets not to be sploshed with a base coating of blue paint???

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'll take the color shift over the blurry 480i mess any day of the week.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Even on my wide\screen TV, the director's cut DVD looks fine. I like how it looks. And since it is an older film, maybe not having it be super-sharp like how new films are shot is part of it.

As soon as I put in my blue ray, I nearly vomit. There is a blue tint to the bridge scenes that was never there. The ships that orbit Regula have the same smeary blue look that the planetoid has.

5. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

It tries my patience knowing they could have invested a little more time and effort and we'd have had lovely branching versions of all the movies. Trek surely deserves as much love as the Alien franchise, none of the trek films are as bad as the latter half of that set!

Seems odd to complain about it (I bought them, albeit when they got cheap as I wanted hi def trek movies) but I'm not sure Trek fans will want to be buggered by Paramount forever.

Especially considering the "brave new world" of no physical media (it's happening people, your grandkids will look at a DVD like we look at papyrus) the old tangible possession obsession of us geeks will be old hat. Good, F**k you Paramount.

6. BillJ

That could be because of the light given off by the Mutara Nebula. Which can't be all that far away since the Enterprise and Reliant both reach it on impulse power.

Whether it was originally that way or not, it does make a certain amount of sense. At least to me. :shrug:

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

when they are orbiting Regula, they aren't in or near the Nebula yet. In fact, Meyer hasn't revealed at that point in the story that the nebula is nearby or that it's a plot point.

It just looks like they got really blue-happy. The films general feel was one of deep reds, and stark emotions.

8. BillJ

But that wouldn't change the fact that, in-universe, it existed.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

The BD transfer is not "awesome" in the same eye popping way a disc like Avatar is. I don't think anyone is saying that. But it is a solid BD catalogue title that very, very comfortably trumps all previous home video editions.

Your statement reference "planets, people and sets sploshed with a base coating of blue paint" is just wrong and extremely misleading IMHO. I've watched the disc many times on a very large THX calibrated screen (extremely accurate "industry standard" colour/brightness/contrast) and see not the slightest hint of a blue push.

You obviously have the disc, or have seen it - could you direct me to a specific timecode where the "blue sploshing" is particularly noticeable? I'd be happy to admit I'm in the wrong.

The blooming reds of antecedent releases have been toned down a little, and yes, a couple of scenes (Regula) have been changed. Personally, I prefer the BD edition, but don't have a problem with the the other versions at all.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Meyer's vision has changed and he sees things slightly off color now. The correction for him makes it seem blue to us?

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

[​IMG]
    DVD
    [​IMG]
    Blue Ray
    [​IMG]

12. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Wow, that just looks awful.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

another example:
    [​IMG]
    blue ray
    [​IMG]

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

The bottom version looks almost ok for a still shot, but it still looks so washed out, flush from whatever life Meyer and his team gave the scene.
    But watching it as a moving image is even worse.

15. LOKAI of CHERON

I completely understand why many would prefer the DVD colour timing - especially from the images you've posted. They are much higher contrast and the colours "pop" more, for some, that equates to a superior image. For me, I still maintain the reds are way OTT and certainly don't look "natural". My guess is the original version was also graded.

I don't agree at all the BD looks worse in motion, quite the opposite in fact. I can tell you, though, the 480i Director's Edition DVD looks like a mess on the screen in my cinema room - seriously, just horrible. We all have differing standards of acceptability in terms of what looks good, and if the DVD qualifies - that's great.

Screen caps are an extremely poor method for judging a DVD/Blu-ray IMO. So on that basis, I'm going to resist the urge to post some comparisons I believe clearly improve the original, because in all probability, it'll only spark a "caps war"! ;)

16. BillJ

Honestly, the bottom one just looks better. The top one is lit in such a way that the actors look like they're on a movie set and the uniforms look over saturated.

17. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Say what you will, but Kirstie Alley's hair looks really good compared to Robin Curtis.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

TheDVD is the way I've always watched it, so it's not so over the top.

Having blue appear where was none for twenty five years is insulting.. appearing on the set, and splotched all over the ships. It's a crime.

The DVD doesn't look like it has that stark contrast while it's in motion.

Color timing is more important than filling 1000 pixels with useless information

19. BillJ

Over the top much? If it's a crime then watch the DVD. Problem solved.

20. LOKAI of CHERON

Eh? Significantly increased resolution leading to a sharper more detailed image is useless?