If you could add ONE line of dialogue to STID, what would it be..?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Roald, Jun 9, 2013.

1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After Harrison solemnly reveals he is Khan. He solemnly pauses for a second before adding, "Just joking."

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: If you could ONE line of dialogue to STID, what would it be..?

Had Khan not been Khan but JUST John Harrison, how would you feel about Spock yelling "HARRRISSSOOOOOOOON!"?

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I would feel like it's a silly question because then they probably wouldn't have done an homage to the scream in TWoK since it wouldn't have been Khan.

But, as a staple of film, TV, comics, and so forth, it's hardly anything new or unusual:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SayMyName
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheScream
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SkywardScream

4. JarodRussell

When Nero screamed SPOOOCK in anger it was already a fine homage to it. The point is that the STiD KHAAAAAN is pretty cringeworthy and out of place, no matter what name you put there, but that a lot of people somehow accept it just because it's "KHHAAAAAAN"!

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention it's turned Spock-flipping-out into a thing now that we're to expect from every new movie. Yes, he had moments in TOS where he flipped out but it was not every episode.

Spock's "because I'm your friend" or whatever the line was before Kirk died was infinitely more powerful than screaming in anguish.

They should have left it that;, have Spock compose himself and then cooly and purposely go after Khan.

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

More like "JHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

7. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Spock (to Khan): "You have betrayed us."
    Khan: "Yes, Mr. Spock - I suppose you could say, I 'conned' you.". (Then, the sound of crickets...)
    :rolleyes:

8. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

The Khan line never really bothered me (then again, the moment Harrison revealed his identity in the movie, my son yelled out "KHAAAAANNNN!", to a quick shush from us, and a few giggles from others in the audience).

I would have definitely changed Scotty's "One-day" line though.

9. Moriarty

Moriarty Ensign Red Shirt

I thought it was never really explained that Khan was previously a tyrannical dictator from Earth's past. Maybe I missed it, I've only seen it once, but I got the impression that one would only know that if they remembered it from the show.

Also, he says that he never wanted to be woken or something like that and I think in the show they had originally set out to find a new planet to settle on. So something like that would have been good.

And not really dialogue, but I would have loved it if Spock's neck grab had instantly sent Khan to the ground. Not too exciting I know, but it would have been better for the character and the good kind of anti-climax.

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I actually expected that to happen. :p

First off, I don't think Nero's yell was a homage. Second, some people don't mind Spock's yell. I don't think it's "just because" it's Khan.

11. JarodRussell

There was some kind of 4th wall breach going on there with the Khan reveal. John Harrison says "My name is... Khan!" and there is this dramatic pause with concerned looks. Like Kirk and Spock knew who he was because they already watched Space Seed and TWOK.
    Later on, nuSpock contacts original Spock and asks him if he knew Khan. How did he get that idea? Khan was adrift in space, why did nuSpock assume that original Spock met him? Because he subconsciously knew what happened in Space Seed again?

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

Pike's dying words should've been "Everybody Wang Chung tonight!"

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    The Chekov one is a lot more obvious, though.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The Enterprise is over 750 meters long."

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While Khan is in his cell talking to Kirk, Marla McGivers walks in and takes a long look at him...

MARLA: From the Northern India region, I'd guess. Probably a Sikh - they were the most fantastic warriors!

KHAN:
    [​IMG]

16. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the end end when Sulu asks for the ships course. I was waiting for Kirk to say "Thataway" it would have been the perfect place to use the TMP line.

-Chris

17. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

Just a few things that would've made it perfect for me;

1. Not just having the Tribble come alive when it needed too. I would've liked something like McCoy looking over Jim's dying body, and then looking at the screen watching the vital's drop to nothing, in the reflection of the screen he notices the tribble is gone. He starts frantically looking for it asking all the nurses but nobody knows...then in all the mayhem he finds the tribble alive and it has already birthed a few others-then the light bulb goes off that his blood could save Kirk. Or something to this effect, it coming alive all of a sudden when it needed to just felt a little short to me.

2. Then maybe just an off-line to continue. As he is putting Kirk into the cryo-tube maybe McCoy could've said something like," Yeah we are putting him in here to save his higher brain functions, prep the guy we just took out for extraction, but I don't know if there is enough time so we need Khan back alive!" I mean who knows if you need to be thawed or not to take viable blood out, but a little more meat on the lines would've made it all the better.

3. "We are safe, we are at warp", here again just a little extra meat on the lines. Like, "We are at warp, he can't catch us. As soon as he speeds up we will just match his velocity and sta ahead." her response could've been something to the effect of, "His ship is too powerful and can make great leaps in speed faster than your helsman can adjust, he'll be able to overtake you no problem.

I think the beauty of the film is that who knows who's plan was thwarted. Did Khan screw up Marcus plans or did Marcus screw up Khan's plans? They way the movie unfolded it seemed they were constantly screwing each others plans up adding more layers to what was going on. The Enterprise and her crew are dropped right in the middle of it all never really knowing whats going on like the audience, except to get their butts home.

Im fine with the ambiguity, just a few extra words on the lines would've great. Infact, the movie reminded me alot of the show Lost which I enjoyed. These guys don't write in a manner that wraps everything up in a neat bow, it allows for some plot holes but I like leaving the theater perpetually asking questions. Makes the beer drinking afterwards fun.

Sorry Roald, that was more than one line!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Adm. Marcus: "Push the button, Max!"

[shatastrophic's three consecutive posts
    quietly merge into one seamless whole]​

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk: Spock...I love you

Spock: I know.

20. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt