Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, Apr 7, 2013.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly what I thought too, even down to the Jim reference. Pete's always had a deeply hidden wild streak. I suspect he's going to be one of those guys who has his rebellion late. I see him tuning in, Turning on, dropping out and never coming back

Other thoughts:

• In a strange way I was almost glad to see Don's somewhat blasé reaction to the riots. The country was very divided and it wouldn't make sense for every main character on the show to be outraged by what they saw.

I also thought it made sense for the Carnation guy to speak well of then Gov. Reagan, Insofar as they were in California after all.

Was that supposed to be Jimi Hendrix sitting in front of the fireplace at the LA party?

Roger is horrible but I love him.

Benson and Ginsburg are the comedy team of 2013. Or 1968. Whatever.

More Don death imagery. Damn.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trying to figure out when the hallucination started... as far as I can gather, Don lost touch with reality when he said he was thirsty after smoking hashish and they blonde said, 'there's a whole pool of water out there.' Then the moment we see hippy Megan there is a very strange splashing sound at the same time, then he has his near death experience.

Drugs are really coming to the forefront of this series! Good old 1960s. ;)

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

If anyone dares confront Joan about her behavior I want her to point out how they (the other partners) never follow the rules. I mean, really, for Roger or Don to call her on anything she did would be hypocritical in the extreme. And Pete, he's not even a partner, so she should tell him to fuck off. ;)

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pete is a partner.

5. ALF

She could still say it, though. And Harry Crane too! They are both such dicks to her. Might have to rewatch the Lane Pryce ass kicking scene again. :devil:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_88FfHcIo

6. the G-man

As much as I love "Mad Men," Weiner does seem to have a problem portraying how a business partnership works in a consistent manner. Sometimes it seems as if some firm partners are "bosses" and some are only subordinates. And as long as Pete and Joan (or anyone else) are partners the rest of the firm can't get rid of them unless a majority vote decrees it and the firm buys them out.

7. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Joan has an uphill battle gaining any respect from the partners. After all, they all know how she got her partnership. As far as they're concerned, her only real business skills are as an office manager.

Burt Cooper seems to be more or less on her side (as long as she doesn't cause any rocking of the boat) and you might find Don wishing her well on a good day, but that's about it. All of them--Burt and Don included--basically think of her in terms of someone who should be seen but not heard by the clients.

8. the G-man

That's true but it doesn't mean they wouldn't have to buy her out if they wanted to get rid of her.

9. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

What if the Tate murder foreshadowing is a red herring, and it's how they write Megan's charecter out of the soap when the spurned lead actress gets her husband to fire her for not sleeping with her?

10. the G-man

She was wearing a red shirt in Don's near death experience/drug-induced hallucination. We know what that means. ;)

But seriously, the more I think about it, the more I think the theory of Megan dying may be correct. In fact, I'm leaning toward this theory that's she already dead and Don just hasn't discovered it yet. It is consistent with the fact that, at the end of the last episode Don returned from CA and went straight to the office.

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Frack, now I have to watch the episode again. The guy who wrote this piece has definitly fallen down the rabbit hole although he might still turn out to be right about the big picture. His comment about the apartment number being the same as the NY highway to Woodstock, his describing of the look on Don's face as a look of "disbelief" are all major reaches, I think.

But the dreams at the party...when Megan said, "I live here", I took it to mean that the Megan in Don's dream lived "there". But I'd forgotten that Dinkins in the dream also said "I live here". That is significant.

While watching the episode, I was a bit taken aback by Megan's warning to Don to be careful. Don was in la la, what could be safer (more or less) especially compared to New York. There is no such thing as meaningless, or throw away dialogue on this show.

Okay, I'm starting to get in a bad mood thinking about not seeing Megan's legs anymore. :(

12. ALF

Seems like there is a lot of evidence suggesting Megan gets offed. Thanks for the link to the interesting article.

I don't think murder fits this show. I remember how pissed I was when Don had a fever and strangled that weird blonde woman from his past who crept in the back way... then I realized it didn't fit the series and that 'it was all a dream'. Fucking TV writers! :D

Pryce hanging himself is more than enough death/murder to factor into the story. Don/Dick's brother hung himself. If I want to see dead bodies, there is CSI: SUV, dammit.
    However, it does make sense for Don to lose something big like this. The season opening saw his doorman almost checking out. hoping the show continues to surprise and that it is a misleading red herring, etc.

Does Don hit rock bottom after Megan dies and Betty feels sorry for him and comes back to him? I hope not. But I still wonder why Betty and Henry factor into the story at all anymore. There's not much they add to the overall narrative. I can imagine Megan finds out Don cheated, she left in a huff (like when they went on a road trip, fought over ice cream and she hitched a ride back to NYC last year) and gets killed or something. Then Don is again crushed under the weight of what he's done to people:

LIST OF GHOSTS HAUNTING DON CURRENTLY
    Adam Whitman - Denied access to Don's life, kills self.
    Lane Pryce - Refused forgiveness from Don, kills self.

Am I missing anyone?
    Could Megan be pushed over the edge into suicide? She seems very together. Will she lose her job at the soap? Hardly a loss if she can find more work but maybe she's blacklisted or something.

13. the G-man

There's one season of Mad Men after this. Unless the arc that Weiner plans is that Don finds redemption and lives happily ever after--and that seems extremely unlikely given the show's storyline to date--Megan has to go.

Divorce has been done multiple times on the show. So has suicide. And cancer. At this point, all signs point to a murder.

And, yes, this isn't CSI. However, as I mentioned before, NYC was an increasingly dangerous place back then. Furthermore, there has to be a reason that the scenes with Megan are always about violence lately, even if its just sirens in the background.

I like the character but from a narrative standpoint, I think she will--and has to--go.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

She does seem to be especially affected by all the violence. I'd say no to suicide though. That would be very out of character, I think.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I have to say, I've been online for 17 years and I've never seen such an in-depth (conspiracy) theory before that was based on episodes to come of any series.

I had to do a paper once in college on mise en scene. I had to write three pages on a single frame in a film: what it meant, what it represented, what it symbolized. Granted half of it was bullshitting but the analysis into how Megan is already dead puts that to shame.

I don't know if I should be scared or impressed...

16. the G-man

Just when I think 'It was a pointless episode' Sally's big walk in occurred.

17. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Right?? The collective "oh shits" from around the country could be heard from space... And Megan is clearly not dead...

18. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I was comforting her. With my pants down and her shirt open. Giving Sally the same bullshit he gave Betty all those years. It's so demeaning. Are you going to belive me, or your eyes?

I suspect Don will no longer be his little girl's hero. God, he and Sylvia are both idiots. They got out of it unscathed and then went right back in. Good thing he has something on Betty right now, so she can't tell Megan when Sally tells her.

19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

"I don't want his juice! I want my juice!" "It's still your juice." I wonder how many takes that took?

"I like his red shirt." Red shirt. If this were Star Trek, we'd know what that would mean.

I was right, nothing is going to happen between Bob and Joan! Wow. Bob, Bob, Bob... That's not the way to get ahead. Not at SC&P, anyway.

Sally had more to do this episode than any of the others this season combined, which had amounted to "The Crash", a little bit of "The Doorway", and nothing else. Bobby had more to do this season. Bobby. Then, at the end... she caught Don! I knew they'd get caught but I never thought that was going to be how.

Anything could happen now. "Favors" meant Don making peace with Ted, which led to reconsiling with Sylvia, which led to a potential neutron bomb. Peace within the company, possible war and disintegration within the family. Gives me something to ponder about what a title like "The Quality of Mercy" will mean.

"I was comforting Ms. Rosen." Don Draper would make a good Bill Clinton. "Well that depends on what your definition of is is." "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!" This is horrible. For Don I mean, not the scene itself. But it's still hard to get through.

Don continuing on, "She was very upset." You're just digging yourself deeper! :rolleyes:

"Complicated." Don Draper's relationship status if he were both forthright and on Facebook. But, if he were forthright, it would become uncomplicated very fast.

The look on Don's face at the very end said it all. Like I said, anything could happen.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  20. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

It's "complicated," the biggest lame excuse in the world next to "it just happenned."

No, Don and Sylvia. It didn't just happen. :rolleyes: They wised up, then they chose to be unwise. Having sex at her apartment when her husband could walk in any time if his work schedule changed, was begging lightning to strike. What I can picture is Sally bringing home guys in vans with long hair and disprespectful attitudes and just daring Don to call her on her behavior.