1. ZosialNCC1701

ZosialNCC1701 Cadet Newbie

I was just curious. Does anyone here like to recreate the prop from the series?

I happen to have a model of the P1 that I am crafting as a hobby. I also have a enterprise model that is going to be very tedious work to finish. Anxious to know if anyone else is into it.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

P1? As in Phaser Type I? :confused:

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup. It's prop board shorthand. It's not in common use around here, which might help answer ZosialNCC1701's question. :lol:

4. Michael

^ Ah, okay. But you must admit, I figured it out. :D

5. Gepard

True. You were confused, though. :p

6. Michael

Nah, what you perceive as confusion is just me picking on newbies. ;) :shifty:

(Just kidding, of course.)

7. Gepard

Oh, okay well in that case, we can get down to business about our midgrade P2s. It would be nice to have a hero, but so far all I've got is a crapazoid with a real ten-turn on the back. That's something, but if one of us knocks the bucks out of wood, we can get something better assuming you've got the kydex. Oh, and someone will have to scrounge up some good side rails and some extra-crispy, too. Can't forget that.

....what? :shifty:

8. Michael

Ich denke, wenn ich darauf in deutscher Sprache reagiere, wirst du genauso viel verstehen, wie ich bei dir. Ergo: Gar nichts. :D

(Hint: Babelfish it.)

9. Gepard

:nyah: Yes, but mine actually meant something.

No, wait. :confused: Damn!

10. deck5

deck5 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There's no kydex in a phaser.

11. Michael

You know, the sad thing is I actually read your post several times trying to understand it. :(

However, back on topic: Yeah, P1 thingies! Aren't they neat?! :cool:

12. Gepard

I know. But I needed another impenetrable piece of lingo, so... :p

13. Gepard

I'm just messing with you. What I wrote is accurate--except for, as deck pointed out, that the phasers never used kydex. (Which was the textured black plastic used for the body shells on the tricorder and communicators.) I actually was trying to imply that what you wrote was meaningless, compared to my meaningful post, before my realizing you'd one-upped me with German....but it didn't realy come through. :lol:

Frak yes. And shiny, too. I've got an Art Asylum phaser sitting around waiting to be repainted, but I've never gotten around to it.

14. deck5

deck5 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

15. Michael

Damn, over 15 years of being more or less able to master English ... and your text just looks like gibberish to me. :(

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you'd be able to get a meaningful translation. It was just my way of illustrating how your text was looking to me. :(

I guess in a thread about P1s and P2s this is considered off-topic, but the one thing I ever wanted to own was a decent model of the original Enterprise. I had an AMT model kit when I was a child, but I was too stupid to put it together properly. And now all these nice models which are already finished (yeah, I know; that must sound like heresy to a model builder :shifty:) are available. But they are way too expensive for me. :(

16. Gepard

I made sure to make it as dense as possible. Even though it would make sense if you knew the lingo, nobody who does talks like that. Ever. Unless they're trying to sound like a smartypants. :p

And, seriously, you do English better than 90% of its native speakers. Don't worry about it.

ETA: This might help with a few of the terms. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall that "crapazoid" was coined by DeForest Kelley to refer to the super-cheap hollow plastic phasers used by the background actors.

I did get a translation, actually.

$39 is too expensive? Or do they cost more overseas? I guess if you're not above assembling a model kit as an adult, the 1/1000-scale Polar Lights kit is pretty cheap, and more accurate than the old AMT ones.

17. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Very much so... though I'm only now returning to building models and props after taking nearly 15 years off. In the late 1980s and early 1990s I had done quite a few prop replicas from both TOS and TNG, and had built quite a few Trek models (including a scratch built model of the Excelsior based on plans I had drawn up back then).

A couple years ago when I considered trying my hand at this again my first test was a scratch built Phaser I did just to test my skills and try some techniques. This was my modest results (and where I stopped work on that project).

[​IMG]

I'm currently attempting a hand laser from The Cage (which has been progressing nicely) and a study model of the 33 inch Enterprise to help me correct errors and omissions in my plans of that model (so that I can eventually build a one-to-one scale replica of the original). Progress has slowed a little on that project due to work, but this is about where it currently stands...

And I've been chronicling my progress on that model in this thread in the Art Forum.

It would be great if you could share your progress on your projects with the rest of us. :techman:

18. Michael

Wow, thanks! If English is not your native tongue it's acutally not very easy to estimate your own language ability. So it's good to be complimented on it. :)

Wow, you live and learn. Now I'm actually able to apply some sense to your earlier post. ;)

Well, that does sound like De Kelley! :lol:

I'd have to do a more extensive research, but I guess the answer is yes. The demand for Star Trek merchandise of any kind is not very high in Germany. So I think I'd have to get it shipped from the US. And that would be expensive. Well, I'll see ...

That does look good. But my experiences with models as a child have made me doubt my abilities to ever assemble (and paint) a model properly. But maybe I'll give it another try.

19. Gepard

You know, my working theory for a while was that you were an American who was living overseas. So not only did I not know English was your second language, I thought you were one of us. :borg:

Heh. :p

20. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    הכל יוונית לי