Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Jul 9, 2014.

?

Grading

Poll closed Nov 6, 2014.
  1. A+

24.1%
  2. A

24.1%
  3. A-

18.5%
  4. B+

14.8%
  5. B

9.3%
  6. B-

3.7%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.9%
  9. C-

1.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1.9%
  13. E

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

With the movie opening in some countries today, and others over the next few days. Here in Australia, it opens one day earlier than usual, so I'm seeing it tonight. This is something I've been looking forward to a few months now, plus Rise was a great movie back in 2011.

RottenTomatoes - MetaCritic

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish it didn't take place 10 years later but what the hell. Love me some Ape movies!

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Looks good to me, I enjoyed the last one more than friends did so I'll likely go at this one alone.

May give the first one a re-watch later this week. Heck, for the hell of it I may just watch the original.

Somewhat relevant:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRrqR9s4zlY&list=UUYUQQgogVeQY8cMQamhHJcg[/yt]

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8eUT2tgG6A&list=UUYUQQgogVeQY8cMQamhHJcg[/yt]

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Err... the segment about what's wrong with Rise of... is longer than the one about what's wrong with Tim Burton's movie? I don't see how that's possible. Discussing everything wrong with Burton's movie would take days.

Anyway, I've watched a few of those and found them to be rather petty, often complaining about "errors" that have quite simple explanations or are simply misunderstandings on the compilers' part.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, I think they're more meant to be humorous that serious deconstructions of the movies.

6. Christopher

^That's just it -- many of the nitpicks are too petty to be actually amusing. I watch them expecting something funny and MST3K-ish, but it usually turns out feeling more petulant and mean-spirited.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I can't wait for this film but I have to wait two weeks longer before it's released here in Belgium. :(

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't there a novel that fills in the time gap between Rise and Dawn?

9. PlainSimpleJoel

^ There are also three short movies that set between the two movies. Linky.

Anyways, back home now. I won't say any spoilers about it. Just incredible. Gonna need to see it again, as there was just amazing.

10. Christopher

Is there anything in particular about this film that would make it worth seeing in 3D?

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Which makes them perfectly suited to Youtube's demographics.

12. PlainSimpleJoel

I'm sure there is ... the battle scenes are so amazing. I might see it again in 2D or 3D yet to decide. The movie was so tense, I didn't really think if it was worth seeing in 3D, as most blockbusters I see in 3D.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I really can't wait to see this. I enjoyed the first one a great deal.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking that this movie should have been called Rise of the Planet of the Apes while the first one should be Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

If you've never seen apes in 3D, it may be something you'll want to check out.

I liked the set-up for a future movie with the rocket taking off.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

I've seen apes in 3D.

'Course, it was a zoo... :lol: ;)

16. Christopher

I had the same thought. It's going to be so confusing trying to keep these movies straight. Maybe this one should've been called something like War for the Planet of the Apes.

Or Ape-ocalypse Now!

Umm... I have been to the zoo, so I have seen apes in 3D. ;)

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Dawn is the kind of movie where I'll honestly be shocked when I (inevitably) see a handful of people saying that they hated it.

I loved it. Loved.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

If I hadn't already made that joke, it might still be funny...

I mean, what is this, gorilla warfare?

19. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm in Australia and just got back from seeing it. Simply put, this movie is outstanding. I'm still processing it but here are a few random thoughts about the movie:

The film is definitely The Apes story. The Ape characters are all fully realised with Koba giving Caesar a run for his money in the characterisation stakes. The motion capture is stunning and it's impossible not to become emotionally invested in the struggle of the Apes.

The humans definitely play second-fiddle to the Apes as it should be. Jason Clarke is great as Malcolm, bringing gentleness and empathy to the role. Malcolm is an example of all the best aspects of humanity and I loved his relationship with Caesar. Gary Oldman is a little under-utilised but he gives a powerful performance.

Dawn is beautiful, intense and ultimately heartbreaking. I left the cinema and spent my 30 minute walk home in deep thought about this movie and the themes that it presents. I think most will find it hard not to walk away affected by it. Science Fiction at it's finest.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Sounds like something the Asylum would put out.