Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

That spoiler seems really unlikely, and the article itself points out a good reason to not believe it. It would be a big surprise, but I really don't see it happening, and honestly I think it would be kind of stupid.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Devin Faraci, who has posted a fair amount of Star Wars rumors with some legitimacy, confirms it. I just hope it's all misinformation.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't think its impossible, just unlikely. I'll need to see/read/hear something more definitive before I consider it more than just another rumor.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It would definitely be a very ballsy and shocking thing to do, but I'm not sure it's something I really want to see done with this character. Especially since this is the character from the OT I'm most looking forward to seeing again in the movie. After a 30 year wait, I'd be seriously disappointed if we didn't get to see him as the same basic guy we saw before (albeit a lot older).

I do really like the rumor about the home of Daisy Ridley's character though, and think it would make for one very cool setting and visual.

5. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At least in the old canon; not sure if it's still true (which is the confusing part of the decanonization - does stuff mentioned in the movie reference guides still count, or only things established in the films themselves?).

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Well, this comment was really considerate of those of us who opted not to click on the link. So I guess we can narrow the rumoured villain down to about 3 characters. Thanks. :rolleyes:

7. davejames

Sorry, I tried to keep it fairly vague. But then I'm guessing anyone who really wanted to avoid the rumors would have stopped reading the second they saw this was being discussed at all (or would have avoided a thread titled "Story Rumors" altogether).

Not to mention, this has been a rumor going around for quite a long while, and been mentioned several times before in this very thread.

And of course it's still very speculative.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Not in canon. Anakin himself said in Episode III that there had never before been a Jedi on the Council who wasn't also a Master.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

Well, the Lucasfilm-approved visual dictionary published during the Episode I period specifically mentioned that Ki-Adi was the only Knight serving as a member of the Council (although he'd been promoted to Master by the beginning of Episode II) so that's where that comes from: official Lucasfilm reference materials and not fan theory or conjecture or some random throwaway line in a comic or novel. If Anakin's line in Episode III is indeed spot-on accurate then maybe Lucas and his people jettisoned the whole "Knight on the Council" idea well over a decade ago.

Still, it was a nice little touch to think that Ki-Adi's skills were considered so strong and impressive that they gave him a seat on the Jedi Council when he was still a Knight operating out in the field. Says a lot about how important the character was probably intended to be in the grander scheme of things.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I can just picture various internet trolls chanting in unison
    "Supershadow was right".
    That alone makes me want to doubt it.

The same kind of thing happened to me on another site. In that case I couldn't complain because it was in a "Spoilers Allowed" forum, but it's still kind of annoying when the original poster uses a link or a spoiler tag and others don't follow suit.

11. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still don't think it's been established where the visual dictionaries are canon or not - just being Lucasfilm-approved doesn't mean anything, all the novels and comics were also Lucasfilm-approved.

12. cooleddie74

At the time it was touted as official, canonical information about the film's characters and backgrounds, but as recent events have shown the fans: anything can change about any material that's not depicted on the big or small screens.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

yeap. There were different levels of canon. Visual guides and all that were at one level. Films another.

15. cooleddie74

And in retrospect they did give Mace Windu the wrong lightsaber in those early Episode I visual guides and dictionaries. I don't know if the old EU ever depicted a pre-Episode I Mace with a completely different hilt and a non-purple blade but the 1999 reference materials seemed to just give Sam Jackson a random lightsaber prop (his well-known and popular chrome-plated weapon with the purple blade wasn't designed until Episode II was in production and Jackson asked George if he could have a special purple lightsaber).

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Windu's purple lightsaber, I wonder if, now that Lucas isn't really in charge of the franchise anymore, we'll see a greater variety in lightsaber colors. Lucas always maintained that Jedi always had blue and green lightsabers and Sith always had red. I think that stance made more sense when originally Jedi were only meant to have blue lightsabers, but once they gave Luke a green one in ROTJ (it was blue at first, but the blade clashed with the blue sky of Tatooine) and then they gave Windu a purple one, I think it doesn't really have to hold true anymore. It's sounding like we won't be seeing many new Jedi in Episode VII, but if we do see any in it, in its sequels, or in any spinoffs, I think it'd be cool to expand the color spectrum a little bit. More purple blades, orange blades, yellow blades, turquoise blades, etc.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Activated yellow lightsabers for the Jedi Temple guards were depicted in trailer footage for at least one of the final episodes of season five of The Clone Wars. AFAIK & IIRC, the yellow lightsabers were not activated on screen in the final cut of the aired episodes, though. Also, I haven't seen season six, so I don't know if they made it into those episodes.

18. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone else remember that some of the early Luke Skywalker figures from the 70's-80's had yellow lightsabers? I always thought that was weird.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, the original Kenner action figure of Luke had an extendable yellow lightsaber blade, for one.

20. davejames

I'd be okay with a couple extra lightsaber colors, but I wouldn't want to see every possible color under the sun. I think that'd probably be a bit distracting.

And part of me also wishes they had kept the green lightsaber only for Luke in ROTJ. Just because I thought it always made him seem a lot more unique, which seemed appropriate for one who was not only the "last of the Jedi" but the one who would ultimately overthrow the Empire.