2011 Ships Of The Line Images

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by The Wormhole, Jul 21, 2010.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't see this being discussed, but the cover and other images from the 2011 Ships of the Line calendar have been released. See them here.

First off, awesome cover!

Now the calendar itself, it meets the usual standard set by the Ships of the Line series, though I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of 24th century ships. Only two, Probert's Romulan warbird concept design, and a 22nd century Klingon ship inside what looks like a Borg hangar. Maybe that one shouldn't count as 24th century. It's not that I have anything against ships of the 22nd and 23rd centuries, I just like it better when these calendars represent all Star Trek.

Still, some fine images. My favourite is probably the Enterprise firing on the Reliant, mainly because of that cool looking nebula in the background. Although that one of all the new designs from the TOS movie era is pretty nice as well.

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

And the Enterprise-E's saucer shuttlebay in the bottom right corner.

Personally, I'm thrilled. Looks like an all around excellent batch, and I'm pleased as punch by the representation of the movie era, especially that gorgeous cover. It's kind of my favorite, visually (I know, it's hard to tell).

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think I'm gonna have to get this just for the ringship.

4. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ And I for the cover. :cool:

5. David Brennon

David Brennon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm loving the refit NX class.

6. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

Image by Vesta-class designer Mark Rademaker.

In addition to the beauty shot, other views of it are part of the centerfold "tech manual" page (shared with Doug Drexler's refitted NX).

Only one image I don't particularly care for: the penultimate one -- a bunch of kitbash designs that just don't "speak" to me.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, when I first looked at that, I thought it was supposed to be the Enterprise's shuttlebay from Trek XI. But upon closer inspection I see the shuttles from Insurrection and the Sovereign class nacelles.

Damn, that's embarassing.

8. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

I don't get it. What planet were they orbiting when Enterprise fired on Reliant? I thought Regula was a barren rock with no atmosphere.

9. Christopher

It would hardly be the first SotL calendar image to take artistic license. These aren't just about duplicating scenes from the shows and films, they're about letting the artists create images they want to see, whether they happened in-series or not.

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

RINGSHIP!

11. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought the Aventine was going to make an appearance this year?

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The artist wanted to see the Enterprise fire at the Reliant from point blank range, without the obscuring effects of a nebula, and miss?

Perhaps a big fan of Khan's? ;)

Timo Saloniemi

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks even better than the last one. Though that image with these strange kitbash ships looks not so well done.

That cover is great. Amazon and other stores really need to update their thumbnail images!

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The Aventine is October in this year's (2010) calendar.

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Best Calander in a long time.

That bird of Prey in a Borg hanger is weird though, what's that about? Is it hinting at some upcoming book?

16. Christopher

A lot of SotL images depict scenes that didn't appear in any episode or book. Like I said, the artists are given pretty much free rein to depict any scene they think they'd like to see. Evidently Dave Morton just thought it would be cool to show a Klingon BoP inside a Borg (?) hangar.

TrekMovie has a post about this now, including a shot of the centerfold with sufficient resolution to see the ships and text clearly:

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merchandise/ShipsoftheLinecent.jpg

Nice to see Mike Okuda's explanation for the ringship's place in Trek history, though it's still a little vague on the dates.

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

RINGSHIP!

(So beautiful.)

(I find that NX-01 refit really ungainly, though.)

18. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

Prior to 2143.

A picture of it was on the wall of the 602 Club during the 2143 flashback scenes of "First Flight" (ENT).

19. Christopher

I already knew that much. I was hoping for something more specific.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Really disliking the upgraded NX-01.