Movies Seen in 2009

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Coraline (B+)
    My Bloody Valentine 3D (B-)
    Adventureland (in progress)

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Great Buck Howard: cute, fun, worth a rental.

3. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

I finally saw two movies I've been looking forward to for a long time: Moon and (500) Days of Summer. A+ on both of them! :techman:

So to add for my theater count:

Taken
    Fanboys
    Watchmen
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Star Trek
    Terminator Salvation
    Drag Me To Hell
    Up
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    Moon
    (500) Days of Summer

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's see...

Taken (***)
    Coraline (***)
    Friday the 13th (**1/2)
    Two Lovers (***1/2)
    Watchmen (***)
    I Love You, Man (***)
    Adventureland (***)
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine (**)
    Star Trek (***1/2)
    Terminator Salvation (***)
    Drag Me To Hell (***)
    Moon (****)
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (*1/2)
    Cherie (***1/2)
    Public Enemies (***1/2)

That's about it for new movies in 2009. I still really want to see Angels & Demons (amazed I haven't seen this yet since I've listened to the score so many times...), Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (which I intend to see this week), The Hurt Locker, (500) Days of Summer and then in the upcoming months District 9, Inglourious Basterds and Halloween II.

So far my favorite films of 2009 are: Moon, Star Trek, Public Enemies and Cherie.

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I watched Watchmen: Director's Cut on DVD this mornin'. Debatin' on addin' it to my list or not...twenty four minutes does add to the movie, but it doesn't change what the movie was when it played in theaters.

6. Starbreaker

Adventureland - A

I loved this movie. I think I might have a crush on Kristen Stewart now too...

7. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Land of the Lost- They can take anything and make it a Will Ferrell vehicle. He and Danny McBride don't mesh, you have two twits and one has to play it straight while the other acts like a retard.

I'd rate it 5/10

8. Starbreaker

Sunshine Cleaning - A

9. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Someone at imdb pointed out that Amy Adams' character in Sunshine Cleaning wasn't that sympathetic. Thinking about it, I realized they were kinda right.

She's someone who's life peaked in high school and never amounted to shit...never left their home town, has an affair with a married man who is using her, cleans up after her former peers who married succesful men. Dumps her kid on a guy she barely knows so she can hang with people who are at least one class above her, leaving her incompetent sister to ruin everything. Also, she's never stopped pining for her lost mother, after some 20 years.

Family of losers. Shit, the kid is a loser, too. The sister is almost the epitome of a loser (to he credit, she's managed to not have any illegitmate children). Even the dad never remarried or apparently did anything successful (besides raising two daughters on his own). All that's left for them is to clean the messes up of people with worse luck than them (dead people) and pretend their lives aren't as crappy as we the audience know they are.

SUNSHINE movies...about loser families. It's MARRIED WITH CHILDREN sans the laugh track.

Not that either movie was a bad film, though. It's their dysfunction that makes them relatable current-recession era characters.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  10. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Juno
    Paul Blart: Mall Cop

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Got an email today lettin' me know I'll be goin' to see GI JOE: Rise of Cobra for free Thursday night.

Go JOE!

12. JacksonArcher

I've recently seen Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (***), which I think is the best Potter outing since Prisoner of Azkaban. I also saw The Hangover (***), which was not as side-splitting funny as I thought it would be, but it was very watchable thanks to the well-cast of characters. Finally, I pushed myself to watch Tony Scott's plodding and useless remake of The Taking of Pelham 123. While definitely not as original as Joseph Sargent's film, I did appreciate the script's attempt to flesh out the Garber character. Still, you can't beat Robert Shaw's dramatic stillness.

13. wicca coolmom

wicca coolmom Ensign Red Shirt

Star Trek
    Tank Girl (one of my all time faves!)
    Knowing
    Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix
    V

14. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Ain't It Cool News has finally posted the list for Friday night's screenin' of District 9, and I'm on it.

So, I'll be at two free movies later this week.

The record is still three in a week, set last week with Paper Heart, G-FORCE and (500) Days of Summer.

15. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

So far I've seen five movies in the theatre this year:

The Spirit (I got a kick out of it. For some reason people expected this to be another Sin City or a Dark Knight. I liked it. Scarlett Johansson's cleavage was a bonus.)

Watchmen (Wish it was longer, but it got the job done. I'm in the minority, I know, but on the whole I thought some of the storyline changes made it a better movie).

Star Trek (One of the best films I've seen in the last 5 years)

Night at the Museum (It was a fun film, with great scenery, both architectural - all the museums - and human - Amy Adams as Amelia Earhart).

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (My first HP film seen in the theatre after catching up with the rest on DVD. This isn't a standalone movie at all, but by this point it doesn't have to be. Gets the job done and has some great funny moments. Can't wait for the next one.)

Not sure what other films I'll be seeing this year. Avatar is very likely one I'll go see, as is the Hilary Swank film about (as it so happens) Amelia Earhart. I'm also interested in seeing the new film The Moon, but it's not showing at any theatres in my part of the world, so that one may have to wait for DVD.

Cheers!

Alex

16. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Theater:
    Watchmen
    Star Trek

Netflix/Hulu:
    Hot Fuzz
    Anger Management
    Slumdog Millionaire
    X-Men3
    Once
    The Dark Knight
    Almost Famous

I mostly used Netflix to get through Buffy & Angel thus far this year.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

In Theaters:
    Gran Torino [A]
    Watchmen [A-]
    Coraline [A]
    Friday the 13th
    Star Trek [A]

On DVD:
    Frost/Nixon [A]
    The Reader [C]
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon [A+]
    Pulp Fiction [A+]
    Hero
    House of Flying Daggers [B-]
    Resident Evil Extinction [B-]
    Watchmen: The Director's Cut [A]

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Went to see GI JOE: The Rise of Cobra tonight. I liked it, but I went in just hopin' for decent performances from Ray Park, Dennis Quaid & Christopher Eccleston.

May go see it again, if some friends want to gather for it, but I'm glad I got in for free, and I managed to get a miniposter for Ray Park to sign at Fan Days III in October.

19. JacksonArcher

I just saw (500) Days of Summer, and wow. What a terrific, heartbreaking, funny and truly original film. Definitely one of my favorites of 2009 so far.

20. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Thanks to AICN, I got to see District 9 a week early, and even got to ask a question durin' the post-film Q & A with movie's director & the star.

Go me.

I'd say out of everything I've seen this year, District 9 is one of the best films of '09, and everyone should go see it.

Addin' it to my list and lookin' forward to seein' it again!

- In Theaters -
    Gran Torino*
    Frost/Nixon
    Inkheart*
    Fanboys
    Friday the 13th (2009)*
    The International*
    Watchmen*
    Monsters vs Aliens*
    Fast and Furious*
    Star Trek (2009)*
    The Soloist*
    Battle for Terra*
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Band from TV Concert Video
    Drag Me to Hell*
    Away We Go*
    Terminator: Salvation
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    Moon
    Paper Heart*
    G-Force*
    (500) Days of Summer*
    G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra*
    District 9*

Each movie with a * means I saw it at a free advanced screenin'.

- On DVD -
    Taken
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

- On Demand -
    Eagle Eye