Rick Berman Chimes in on Trek XIII

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kruezerman, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Berman is like Gene. Both held to their vision far too long, to the point where audiences abandoned them. In their respective days they were great, but neither of them could change with the times.

2. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think you're probably correct

3. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Had they not used Khan for the 'new' Star Trek 2, folks would have wished they had. I don't think the worry is that Khan was in the movie but how he was written in.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Except Berman really had no vision of his own and was essentially just a keeper of the Roddenberry flame.

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Same here. It's time for Berman and everybody else to face reality (remember that word?) and realize that movies are somewhat different from TV.

IF an exploration themed story can be done in movie #3, then I'm all for it, but not if it's boring-if so, then said movie could sink the franchise for a while, and there would be no more Star Trek at all. What went on in the two recent movies is what Berman & Co. should have been doing, but didn't (and when he did a story where 'new life, and new civilizations' is discovered, it was just a boring thing with no real danger about self-entitled arrogant hippies who wanted to keep what they had for themselves and not share.)

As for TV, it'll have to wait until the current head of CBS is retired and gone from his position, and even then, there's no guarantee that the franchise could ever be back on TV.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which again, was Lindelof's doing. Not that I think Orci would have handled the matter any better.

7. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

You're being facetious right?

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not a big Spiderman fan, but my wife loved the movie. I thought it was moderately entertaining but instantly forgettable. Much like the other Marvel (Avengers, Iron Man, etc.) movies.

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My bf loved the first ASM, whereas I was fairly bored with it, so I was hesitant about the sequel. Still, he convinced me to watch ASM2, and this time we were in agreement: that movie was a thunderous, resoundingly clear-cut two hours of "meh."

10. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

The thing that irked me about it was the pacing in the 2nd half, and then how cartoony the villains were. After some of the comic movies we've gotten recently, I expect more than "russian mobster" and "loner nerd" as character definitions for the villains.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Huh? If John Harrison wouldn't have been Khan, then what would have been his motivation? Harrison's every action was motivated by those 70 people in those torpedoes.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A different guy with 70 people in those torpedoes.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um, no. My facetious face looks like this ;)

I personally enjoyed Spiderman 2, found the relationships to be well done, Harry a tragic character, and was impressed by the ending.

YMMV of course. Like I said, I am firmly in the Orci supporter's camp, though I would prefer Abrams still.

14. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

You were impressed with the Rhino ending?

15. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see how he's wrong in either of those statements. I happen to totally agree with him, there.

Not everyone here hates the Berman era. I happen to love most of it. Also, STID was an utter disappointment for me. I am not the biggest fan of NuTrek, but I am not rooting for it to fail, either.

So yeah, I want to see Trek do better with Star Trek 13, than it did with STID. Trek 2009 was a far superior film to me, in every meaningful way, than STID. I would like to see 13 make me feel the same way about Trek as 2009 did, than just be more of the same as STID.

Also, I was initially skeptical of Star Wars VII, AKA The Search for More Money, but I've been reading some pretty positive things, so I AM more stoked about the next Star Wars movie than I am about the next NuTrek movie, right now.

I don't understand the attitude that some have that if you like Trek, you must automatically hate Star Wars, and vice versa. I've always loved both.

16. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I think the thing I'm most excited about in the new star wars is the apparent use of a lot of practical effects. There's something about the esthetic of animatronic characters that I'm really looking forward to. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor.

17. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I'd assume the decision to use Khan came fairly early, I don't think they changed Harrison to Khan at the last second.

18. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

+1 on every point. :techman:

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The last second" is of course an exaggeration, but the decision also wasn't made "fairly early." Orci has explained the creative process in that they did first create the original villain John Harrison, renegade Starfleet officer turned terrorist, who they then turned into Khan, primarily due to Lindelof's nagging. All this is confirmed fact.

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TASM2 actually took the time to show the effects of grief on Peter, unlike most other outings where the hero would get his sh*t together inbetween sequels. I appreciated the effort at being different.

As to the rest of the film, I think the biggest letdown was Electro himself, epsecially the events following the prison breakout. The conflict and relationships between the protagonists were the biggest draw for me, much like TASM1