New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by neoworx, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

So is the kindle version the latest/greatest version in terms of revisions?

2. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

kinda makes you wonder what the lady who is supposed to have helped with the illustrating actually does most days ...

4. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm... the website calendar indicates the season two book will be available via Amazon in January. I hope that's so. Any one here know the publisher and can have that confirmed?

5. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Indeed.
    The legal council has a very familiar last name... Dawn Cushman

Also note that Gurian is listed as on the payroll, so I guess that is supposed to make everything okay about the issue of the photos....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've looked at that page before, but he most surprising information to me is that the publisher employs a "senior editor." Asleep at the wheel this time, perhaps?

The CEO's statement that they are "absolutely about quality, not quantity," made me chuckle a little.

Anyone sat through the most recent author interview?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  7. Lee

Lee Commander Red Shirt

It seems odd that their attorney would misspell her own profession as "legal console." It should be "counsel."

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:guffaw:

9. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Odd or clever trick?

10. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My frustration is growing a bit with this book. His numbered referencing system has quite a few mistakes. eg : p. 84 - some quotes from Shatner are referenced as 156-8, but in the "Quote Index", that number doesn't even exist.

(Yeah I realise that very few would be as anal as me, and look to see where various bits of info came from, but still...someone has screwed up).

Again, it's a shame that such an impressive body of work developed over a long period has been let down by a rushed/sloppy editing job. Given that I am reading the second edition, it's unforgivable.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Sounds like I dodged a $40 bullet by not buying either edition. :techman:

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I am reading another book of this stripe, and the lack of an editor really stands out. Poor sentence structure, supposition masquerading as fact, typos... From my standpoint typos are the least of the sins because they're just mechanical mistakes, poor writing and inaccurate history for me are the more damning fault.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I noticed a lot of those.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As did I -- in the first edition. It is unbelievable that the second edition didn't fix them.

But, most of all, what Maurice said.

15. Botany Bay

p.95 : James Doohan is supposedly 35 when cast as Scotty in 1965. A quick look at IMDB shows he was born in 1920.

I've read enough now to give this book a big thumbs down. To present such a sloppy piece of work as a commercial endeavour is just disgraceful.

The second edition should be pulled as well - it's just so amateur, the publishers should be ashamed. It is clear that nobody edited this book at all. Just unacceptable for the expensive price.

I will continue to give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume he's been let down by the publishers. It's unlikely someone would put so much work into something and willingly allow it to be presented in this state.

Absolutely. This book is strictly for those curious about the memos/draft scripts/production history of each episode, and only at bargain bin prices. It's worth $10 max.

16. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Except that effectively he's his own publisher.

17. Botany Bay

Well if that's the case, he should be ashamed.

Just looked up their website...no contact us details.

Found a twitter account - have given them/him my thoughts.

I sincerely hope it's third tiime lucky for this project. TOS deserves such a detailed analysis, but, man it needs some polish.

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It'd be interesting to see if you posted that review on Amazon what the response would be. They seem to have about a 3 second lagtime when it comes to attacking folks who say something negative about the book.

19. Botany Bay

Cheers - didn't think to do that - never left an Amazon review before, but just punched one out then.

Nice to see that "Gurian" gives it a five star, glowing review on Amazon. :guffaw:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  20. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

I have to say, I thought this was a terrific book: fascinating stuff about the scripting and rewriting process, the budget concerns and so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.