Which show has the best music in the opening?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by arasam22, Jun 22, 2009.

?

Which show has the best theme?

1. Star Trek--TOS

16.7%
  2. The Next Generation

22.2%
  3. Deep Space Nine

25.0%
  4. Voyager

34.7%
  5. Enterprise

1.4%
  1. arasam22

arasam22 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I searched and didn't find a thread like this... sorry if it already exists...

IMHO, voyager has the best theme music, even if i'm not that much of a fan of the show (haven't seen much but i haven't really liked what i've seen). i like the song in Enterprise's opening, but it's just not star trek to me, you know?

so what do you guys think? which show has the best opening music?

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    The original.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

TOS by miles and miles. TNG has a few well-scored eps, and I think ENT had a couple too, but the oft-reused TOS cues are often amazing (the one-offs are pretty cool too, like the ELAAN OF TROYIUS stuff, which sounds like it could be VICTORY AT SEA, it so evokes WWII for me.)

4. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I voted TNG as having the best opening theme.

Although, I must admit that this fan made opening theme for TNG is cool.

Edited to add: I know some of the scenes used are not from TNG but it cool.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  5. Spocktapus

Spocktapus Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think TNG, DS9, and Voyager all have wonderful themes. The TNG/TMP theme will always be THE Star Trek theme to me, but I'll have to go with Voyager. TNG's theme is good, but I think the Voyager theme was more effectively presented in the intro than the TNG theme was.

6. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 and Voyager are pretty close, and it's hard for me to pick one as being better than the other, but they're both ahead of all the others. At first I really hated the music for TOS, but it's growing on me. TNG is pretty decent, but not fabulous. I would put it solidly in the middle. I like the music for Enterprise as a song, but it fails as a TV theme because it doesn't say Star Trek like the others.

7. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voyager, by light-years.

8. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voyager for sure. That's one show that I could watch the credits every time. They're better than the show itself sometimes :)

But seriously, it had the benefit of TOS, TNG and DS9 to learn from, so of course VOY's credits looks fabulous. Love the music too.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

10. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

TNG is the best and I just love to speak along with Picard during it lol
    TOS, VOY and DS9 are all pretty good too.
    I guess I eventually got used to ENT but I dont think it's very good.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS and TNG. They used to really get me exited for the episode. DS9 and Voyager are quite pretty, but in some ways also quite dull.

12. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

This belongs in another thread that does exist...I remember a thread about which series had the best music throughout, I participated in it. This one is just about best opening credits music. I agree about the original series having the best opening theme. I used to think it was cheesy, but now I love it and enjoy watching it every time.

I always thought the TNG one was too over-the-top for the opening credits of a TV show and the narration was kinda corny. Great music, just not suitable for the opening of a TV show which I think should be faster-paced and more catchy.

DS9's theme is all right, but just sort of a more low key version of the TNG theme, which annoyed be when I first heard it, though it's since grown on me. Like the show itself, I think Voyager's theme is just a cheap knock-off of previous Star Trek. To me it sounds like a lamer version of the DS9 theme. I can't believe people actually prefer it over the others. I think it's like the previous three Star Trek themes except not as good, just like the show. :p

P.S. I agree about that Dallas Star Trek fan edit...hilarious AND awesome! I especially love the specific poses chosen for the characters, particularly Geordi's "coolant leak!", Data laughing his ass off, Worf, Picard, and Dr. Crusher in various costumes (I don't even recognize the uniform Crusher is wearing on the right, what the hell is that?), and Tasha looking sexy for once! They should have had one shot of Wesley in his Starfleet uniform, just for variety's sake. :cool:

13. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Deep Space Nine for me. There is a majesty to it that isn't found in any of the other themes.

14. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

NOT Enterprise. *shudder*

TOS is iconic, so that just about wins for me, but the TNG theme is the frikkin' TMP theme, and is also damn good. DS9's first theme was, for me, much more appropriate for the series than the second one, but both were good. VOY's theme also rocks.

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

The early DS9 theme still gives me goosebumps.

I like them all, though (even "Faith of the heart")

16. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

Voyager, that theme won an emmy for a reason.

17. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

So the question is which show had the best opening theme?

1 VOY
    2 TNG
    3 TOS
    4 DS9

5 ENT

18. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

TOS - The opening theme has held up very well over the years. Better than the show itself.

19. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

DS9
    ENT
    TNG
    VOY
    TOS

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tough choice between TOS and Voyager but I picked Voyager. Incredible title sequence.

I love all of 'em though, even Faith of the Heart.