Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yes she is. Her father is an Atlantean and her mother a human.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Namor means Avenging son, and Namora means avenging daughter, does Namorita means "Little" avenging daughter?

But further more if Namora's real name is not Namora and it's just some job title for placement in the hierarchy... Is Namor's real name Namor? Although he is commonly listed as namor mckenzie whenever anyone ever tries to get fancy with him.

Have the McKenzie's, if there are McKenzies, ever reached out to Namor I wonder?

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poor choice of phrasing on my part. I just meant on the other hand from using the mother's maiden name, but I guess that didn't really go well with your quote.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Apparently Namora is her nickname and not a title. Perhaps the other Atlanteans were mocking her and she decided to own it. Namor's name is Namor. People trying to get fancy often look like idiots. See the "real" names of the Inhumans as a further example of this.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

And to be more confusing, we have a random tradition in our family of calling people by their middle name. My grandfather, John Howard Payne, and my sister, Nancy Lynn Payne, are both called by their middle names. Though it may have been a measure to avoid confusion with Pop, since we had four generations of Johns alive in the family at one point, three living in the same house. So we had Howard (middle name), Jack (Dad's nickname), and John (me). Or as Mom referred to us, "John The father, John The Son, and John the Holy Terror." :lol:

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Wow, people, this series is rocking along! I just finished the post-TWS episode (fall of SHIELD, reveal of Bill Paxton as the "Clairvoyant", Ward seemingly part of HYDRA.) I think I sort of lost track of this series right when it was starting to get good. Not really sure why I fell off, but I'm certainly back-on. I just might finish the remaining episodes I have to watch tonight or Monday night. Lots of interesting things, especially since I was really liking Paxton and was hoping he'd become either a regular or something along those lines. (I honestly really like Paxton as an actor.)

Looking forward to watching more!

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Welcome back.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Your dreams were your ticket out.

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Oops, wrong thread.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

:techman:

12. Guy Gardener

Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

You really are old :lol: (as am I...)

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ It's on MeTV now, for a whole new generation to experience. :rommie:

I wondered if his story about how his older brother forced him to be cruel to his younger brother was supposed to be some kind of motivation. Either way, the bottom line is that he's a psychopath-- which is kind of a cop out in the motivation department.

16. Guy Gardener

Missssus Kot-Tah was my first dream girl, narrowly winning pole position against Batgirl.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

On the contrary, I'm very young...in 1975.

I think it's meant to shed light on is relationship with Garrett...now Garrett fills the spot that his older brother did, persuading him to do bad things. (I might even speculate that Garrett really is his older brother, but that's reaching.)

18. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I think if Hydra has been planning and infiltrating for 70 years, they could have created said abusive situation for just that purpose. I think that could explain not only Ward, but Kaminski and Sitwell and a lot of the others interest in such an organization. They were brought up in it and it's natural to them to be there.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

First two minutes of the episode:

I'm debating whether I should keep watching these things or save the surprise, but I'm enjoying them too much.

So I get to add more to my timeline. Obviously, a Congressional hearing like that would take more than one day, but it suggests that the end scenes in The Winter Soldier probably took place four or five-ish days after the fall of the Triskelion, which was my inclination anyway. I suppose Romanoff could have went before Hill, though, narrowing it a bit. Still, it's good to see the movie events are still rippling through the show.

20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems like everything on those two fronts might be moving a little quickly, no?