TWOK: when was the "II" added?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by KirkusOveractus, Jul 7, 2014.

1. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I wasn't sure if this has been discussed before, but a couple times I've seen TWOK in the theatre, and the title was just "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan". But on everything else I see (VHS, DVD, etc.) it has the roman numeral.

Anyone know when that was added?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The "II" was present on posters, the soundtrack album, and various other things from the beginning. I think the movie itself and the novelization were the only things that didn't use the numeral.

Memory Alpha just says that "ubsequent prints of the film" added the numeral, without saying when the practice began.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just 70mm prints of the film perhaps? A reply from a fan who attended such a screening suggests this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C5196Ymdpo

Unfortunately this footage doesn't prove it. Fourth comment down according to them.

4. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

It doesn't answer the question, but this shows that the 70mm prints did not have the "II".

[​IMG]

Best,
    Maab

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Amazing. Never seen that before. :techman:

6. KirkusOveractus

Thank you! The last couple times I saw it in a theatre were in 1991 (before TUC) and 1994, before Generations. The 1991 showing, I think, was 70mm. The 1994 screening was in a smaller theatre, and it may have been 35mm (not sure if it was scope or flat).

7. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

It depends on when you define "from the beginning." About a week before the theatrical release, I personally saw a four-page color magazine spread that didn't use the II, with the usual artwork and the posed photos seen in later posters (such as the one with Kirk on his back and David, looking into the camera, with a knife at Kirk's throat). It was in People or, if not, some other Time-Life-produced magazine.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

When the US cinemas were done with the 70mm prints, they were sent to various international premieres. For example, in Sydney, Australia, I was at a free Saturday morning preview (August 7) and had bulk-booked group tickets for the night gala premiere on August 12, then returned on the Saturday night (August 14), after a daytime Trek event, to pick up the official program booklets (that were not available on opening night) in our new costumes - and the manager let us in for free for helping to promote the movie!

We saw the "no Roman numeral" print all three times. A few weeks later, we were back again and the "II" was on the print being screened.

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

1982 was a long time ago. I simply don't remember.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I needed to use a "perpetual calendar" website, and IMDb, to clarify my dates.

11. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Wow, I wasn't imagining this after all.

I was sure that there was no II in the opening title sequence when I saw it in the theater in 1982, but of course I had no proof. Until now.

12. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Don't confuse the issue. Star Trek (II) was shot in scope and only has scope 35mm prints.

A few years ago a theater here ran a double feature of Star Trek - The Wrath of Khan and ALIEN in 70mm. TWOK has a different main title of course (no Roman numeral "II") and ALIEN has different end titles, compared to the 35mm prints! The end titles on that are set over a moving star field.

Neil

13. KirkusOveractus

My mistake - I didn't mean to make it sound like TWOK was available in scope and flat, I was more thinking out loud, where I, myself, wasn't sure if the film was in scope or flat. Thank you for the info that it was only in scope!

14. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqF,!lEE4NI9eRl8BOS!+(pOyw~~0_35.JPG

15. gottacook

Ha! That's it, all right - the center two pages of the four. Thanks much.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I do (well, sort of, I was ONLY 12 back then!). The original theatrical run did not have the II, but the first video release tw or three years later (when I saw the movie for the second time), did.

17. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

On a similar note, I swear that when I originally saw TWOK in the theater, prior to Enterprise firing the ventral port phasers in the nebula battle (right after Reliant blasts the torpedo bay), that Kirk said something like "Phaser Bank Two, FIRE!", but in the home video versions, it's just "FIRE!"

Mostly because I thought remembered the bank being numbered in such a way that I couldn't quite reconcile (i.e. being numbered "one" or "three" would have made more sense to me). Maybe I'm mixing it up with something in the novelization or something, or perhaps just too much LDS.

18. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Opening night, Chicago, 1982: we had Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on our screens

We also had Spock saying: "to go boldly where no ONE has gone before."

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah?

20. gottacook

I understand that some people who are old enough to know better are nonetheless certain that the original release of Star Wars (which remained in some theaters continuously for more than a year) included the "Episode IV: A New Hope" title.