JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Parenthesis? Really?

Like in Bendis-speak? (In the dialogue written by Bendis?)

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the first two issues of "Imperium" and absolutely LOVED them. Can't wait for the next issue.

4. Savage Dragon

I just read Ninjak #1 and it was a really good read. The art in the main story was fantastic. I must say, Valiant is getting my attention more and more these days.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Got to read my new books last night from Wed as well and Ninjak #1 was indeed as solid an intro as I'd hoped. This enforcer woman, Roku, looks like she's going to be someone that requires ones full attention. Because it's Ninjak and one could parallel certain aspects of The Hand & Daredevil my mind went towards her being some type of possible Typhoid Mary and/or Elektra mashup of a character w/some of her own uniqueness tossed in as well.

The new classification system got a chuckle out of me: "Wait, there's a Ninja-A?"

Also making for a very good read was UNITY #16. One of the better Gilad/Eternal Warrior stories done so far in the VU. I liked his "sanctuary" or home where he seems to have stashed things of some importance to him through his years. That little thing stuck with me as much as anything else in the story.

Gravedog in Imperium #2 is a character of such levels of gray to black that I'm very curious for #3. I still don't know if Bones is really dead or that was a ploy to gain the Psiots trust to get him to Harada. Part of a possible plan he cooked up with his handler/director(whose name escapes me right now).

The 9 picture movie deal with the Chinese investment firm does indeed sound like a situation that could lift VALIANTS recognition even higher!!

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was probably 2001 when I tried to figure out how get away with murdering all my (comic reading) friends, for failing to explain to me that Warren Ellis is violently hilarious and that he had been writing Stormwatch for ye-e-e-e-e-e-ars.

I have that same feeling of betrayal exactly right now, after having read the first volume of Irredeemable about an hour ago.

"Oh that was spiffy" I thought. "I wonder if any more have been written?"

Almost 40 fricking issues.

This is butter chicken too, all over again!

7. Admiral_Young

I read "Spawn: Resurrection #1" and thought it was fairly interesting. There's a big plot development and basically the reason for Al's return that gets mentioned in the book as well. Paul Jenkins ended up getting credit for this despite the Grant Morrison and Brian Wood reports. He did a decent job with the issue. The rest of the story delves back into "Spawn" now.

8. Savage Dragon

I don't think I've read Spawn since the late 90s.

I picked up Red One from Image this week as well as Chrononauts. Red One had an interesting story and gorgeous art from Terry Dodson. I'll probably pick up the next one to see where it goes.

I liked the concept of Chrononauhts but the issue felt a little rushed. It's only a 4-issue mini series though so I'll probably pick them all up.

9. Admiral_Young

I picked up "Red One" as well due to the concept and the Dodsons. Also loving "Divinity" right now. I love how Valiant seems to be revamping/reintroducing their universe through high concept books. It's really making me engaged in these characters.

10. Savage Dragon

I haven't read the second issue of Divinity yet but I plan to on my lunch break. Valiant is really starting to pull me in. I think after DC's Convergence event and Marvel's Secret Wars I will probably be dropping a lot of their titles so I just might start reading more Valiant, Image, and other independent books.

Edited to add: Just read Divinity. Another great issue. The art and colour are just amazing.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  11. Savage Dragon

So Mark Millar's Chrononauts has already been optioned by Universal. And this is only after one issue! Link

I think the concept is interesting but the first issue felt a little rushed. I'll probably get the whole thing since it's just a 4 issue mini-series but I hope the second issue flows a little better.

Is anyone reading Ei8ht from Dark Horse? The second issue came out this week and I am digging it. It deals with the past, present, future, and something called The Meld.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chrononauts felt too 80s.

Rockstar thugs blustering their way through science.

The Buckeroo Banzai effect.

13. Savage Dragon

I didn't mind that aspect of it. I just felt that it read a little rushed and could have done with a bit more fleshing out.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It was awful. I can't believe they are wasting Sean Murphy's talents on this. And I'm almost certain that Millar is trying to trot out that terrible canard that Mongol Invasions caused an Islamic Dark Age.

15. Captain Craig

I'm horribly behind on books from this past Wednesday.

Got around to:

Divinity #2 - this issue really begins to shed some light on just what is going on with Abrams but it still didn't fully, or partially even, explain how he came to be the way he is now. Perhaps next issue. The concept of the character and his potential continues to intrigue me. I did find myself doing an instant head nod when Aric/XO questioned why are we going after this guy, what's he done again? Guild's answer was also on point and a bit funny in it's exactness & imagine dry delivery(that's how I read it).

Ivar Timewalker #3 - "Science, bitches!", this has indeed become the book I felt it would be. Ground work in #1-2 have me feeling it already in this issue here!

TMNT #44 - HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!! Anyone else still reading this title from IDW?! It's been a rather understated hidden jewel on the racks from the get-go and this issue delivered on multiple levels!!
    Krang vs Shredder one-on-one was great! Krang vs the Turtles and that awesome triple kick they delivered! Krang getting his come uppance via Fugitoid/Honeycutt as he's delivered to the Nutrinos for crimes of genocide against them!
    Oh, and then that very last panel! Donnie beaten to death(nearly?) by Rocksteady and Bepob! The tears from Mikey, the hatred snarl flowing from Raph---argh, next issue is too far away!!

I picked up Red One from Image as well but have yet to read it. Nice to see Savage Dragon and Admiral Young both liked it. The Terry Dodson art was tough to pass up but kinda like Divinity, I'm curious how a Soviet Era superhero origin is going to play here. It looks a bit more straight forward on the flip through but I'll see.
    I still have my Marvel books as well to get to.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, latest TMNT was pretty brutal. did not expect that.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw a story about TMNT on CBR, that is crazy. They said it was also coming up on the end of the comic. Is it actually going to be a true ending or are they just going to relaunch with a new #1 ala Marvel?

18. Admiral_Young

19. Captain Craig

I've read conflicting reports about the TMNT title ending or not.
    The preview for issue #46 said something with the wording "This begins the final arc..."
    Leading to some speculation that #50 was the titles last issue.

At CBR someone posted a quote from an interview where that question was posed to someone in an IDW panel and he acknowledged there were internal debates about ending/renumbering or just doing a #51 and continuing. The snipet quote didn't ultimately confirm or deny if #50 was the end though.

I hope it doesn't end just to try and turn a quick buck for a few months by tricking retailers into upping orders. The readership is stable and rarely does it alter even after renumbering gimmicks.

20. Savage Dragon

So Robert Kirkman must really want people to read Invincible. This week's issue is selling for .25ยข

[​IMG]