Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 7 2013, 03:56 AM   #16
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek First Contact Commentary...

I really don't think you can expect writers to be as big as fans as we are.

Even the actors don't really remember the episodes they worked on after 20 years. Its just a job to them.

Maybe you have been deceived by the 'promotion' of new commentry. You can take it back or just learn a lesson. Me, I don't take anything back under $20 unless on principle because its just too much trouble.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 04:11 AM   #17
Lance
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I usually don't waste my time listening to commentaries that include people who had nothing to do with the actual product. YMMV.
I'm with you there. I remember wasting 90 minutes listening to a DVD commentary on a classic Doctor Who story by a bunch of the guys who made the new Doctor Who, and thinking "Why bother with this?". They couldn't add anything of any depth, having never actually worked on the old Doctor Who, and the only things they could comment on were as viewers themselves. So the exercise was utterly pointless, apart from people being able to say "Hey look, David Tennant is doing a commentary track for classic era Doctor Who!".

I think another Doctor Who (maybe a Red Dwarf also) had a fan commentary, with guys who won a competition getting to do a track. That one was a little more fun, but still kinda pointless on the whole.

If they can't get guys who actually worked on the movie, or at the very least a film historian who can bring some sort of knowledge to the commentary, then I find them easy to pass.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 06:46 AM   #18
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Still, I usually don't waste my time listening to commentaries that include people who had nothing to do with the actual product. YMMV.
Amen.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

Well, I think there's plenty of room for commentaries that include film/television historians, and they certainly weren't involved with the actual product.

I also don't mind commentaries that bring on professional fans to moderate (i.e. Manny Coto with Nicholas Meyer on TWOK, or Nicholas Meyer with Robert Wise on The Day The Earth Stood Still). It gets rid of dead air and brings up questions that the speaker might have otherwise not considered.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I refer to things like Denise Okuda on the commentary tracks of shows she didn't work on, interrupting stories by those who did work on it to point out the obvious.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 05:09 PM   #21
Harvey
Admiral

No argument there. Commentaries like that are a waste of time and disc space.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 07:24 PM   #22
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
Totally got episodes wrong or episodes.
Gasp! Get the pitchforks! I'll get the torches!
Old December 8 2013, 12:25 AM   #23
Captain Mike
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Totally got episodes wrong or episodes.
Gasp! Get the pitchforks! I'll get the torches!
Exactly the arses because they love the nu universe!!
Old December 8 2013, 08:11 PM   #24
ScottDS
Captain

AgentDreidel wrote: View Post
It's a commentary track. One of several available for this film, IIRC. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. You've still got an awesome movie in a great-looking format. That's what you paid for. Things like commentaries are just extras. Why would you return a movie for such a petty reason?

Already had it..bought the "Special" saying it i had "new" commentaries...Little did I know it was most a promotion for 2009...
If it's the version I'm thinking of, it says on the back that the commentary is by Lindelof & Pascale.
I don't know if the original poster is referring to the DVD or the Blu-Ray. The current DVD editions of the films include ONLY the new extras produced for the 2009 Blu-Ray set, including the commentaries by folks who didn't all work on the films.

The stand-alone Blu-Ray editions, on the other hand, also include the original Special Edition DVD extras (more or less), including the filmmaker commentaries, the best two being the Moore & Braga tracks on Generations and First Contact.
ScottDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 08:30 PM   #25
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Guys, I went ahead and forwarded a copy of the audio track to the FBI. The director himself has assured me arrests will be made soon on charges of heresy.
Old December 8 2013, 10:25 PM   #26
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Unless there is something wrong with the disc, no store will take back an open piece of media.
Old December 9 2013, 07:44 PM   #27
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Guys, I went ahead and forwarded a copy of the audio track to the FBI. The director himself has assured me arrests will be made soon on charges of heresy.

I listened to that commentary; it was indeed pretty lame. I suspect many fans could record a more interesting one by themselves or with a friend at home, but they were probably mindful of not saying anything to provocative or critical, because why say anything risky on an official track to be sold to fans? The much wiser course, career-wise, would be to loudly praise the elements you like, and only gently praise the rest.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 03:55 AM   #28
Captain Mike
Commodore

Gaith wrote: View Post

I listened to that commentary; it was indeed pretty lame. I suspect many fans could record a more interesting one by themselves or with a friend at home, but they were probably mindful of not saying anything to provocative or critical, because why say anything risky on an official track to be sold to fans? The much wiser course, career-wise, would be to loudly praise the elements you like, and only gently praise the rest.
Exactly....from the writer who is a big Star wars...trek fan AND the editor of TREKMOVIE.com. You at least think he would know his Star Trek knowledge since he was "supposedly" dressed in Klingon garb...