Price, Release Date and Features announced for TNG Bluray Collection!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Falcor5, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone else looking forward to this? The TNG Bluray movie collection comes out Sept 22 and will retail for $69.99. Looks like there will be a good amount of new special features and commentaries for each movie (Including a brand new Commentary by Jonathan Frakes and Mirina Sirtis for Insurrection!) Also the new Next Gen DVD movie collection comes out the same day and will retail for $39.99.

Go here to see all the Special Features and details:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/20/details-on-star-trek-tng-movie-blu-ray-dvd-tos-season-two-sets-more/

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Features announced for TNG Bluray Collection

3 out of 4 new commentaries at least:

Star Trek: Generations
    new DVD Content:
    * Commentary by director David Carson and Manny Coto

Star Trek: First Contact
    DVD Content:
    * Commentary by Damon Lindelof and Anthony Pascale

Star Trek: Insurrection
    DVD Content:
    * Commentary by Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis

Star Trek: Nemesis
    no new commentaries

I guess not much from the wishlist...
    STVII-X TNG films Blu-ray spec. features wishlist
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=93814

3. Falcor5

Re: Features announced for TNG Bluray Collection

I think there is a new commentary for Nemesis too. They have this listed:

Star Trek: Nemesis
    Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda

That is new isnt't it? I assume its not the text commentary from the last edition because it says commentary just like the other 3 movies list the commentary special features.

Having said that does anyone else think they should have chosen someone who actually worked on the movie for the new First Contact commentary? The other three movies all have people who in some capacity worked on the movie doing the new commentaries but the most famous and popular TNG movie has two people who had nothing to do with the movie (Damon Lindelof and Anthony Pascale) discussing it. I think since it is the most popular of the Next Gen movies they could have still had this commentary but also added another one with maybe the cast or something. Strange decision IMO.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

commentaries TNG Bluray Collection

I think I have heard of one audio commentary that the Okuda's did on a Trek project.
    Whenever I see Okuda and commentary I assume it is a text-only trivia commentary.

Fans discussing a film is a bad idea for a commentary to sell a film. A film historian or in Trek's case a Trek historian is a better option.
    Sometimes even actors are not paid to do commentaries so I'd rather hear crewmembers department heads specifically such as production designer, visual effects supervisor, re-recording mixer, art director do a commentary. On a film like ST:Nemesis where let's be honest is not a overall fan favorite would be best served by a new technical discussion commentary.

5. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: commentaries TNG Bluray Collection

I bet the Frakes/Sirtis commentary for INS will be entertaining.

6. Falcor5

Re: commentaries TNG Bluray Collection

Ya I am looking forward to that commentary the most! They always seem to get along great so should be fun.

7. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

:wtf: Who? Seriously, I have no idea who the hell these people are. Someone please tell me. Frakes and Sirtis doing a commentary together is so cute. I never thought anything could motivate me to watch "Star Trek: Insurrection" again, but this just might do it.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Price, Release Date and Features announced for TNG Bluray Collecti

Didn't Star Trek IV have a commentary by the writers of the new movie? That always struck me as rather bizarre...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new Insurrection commentary. I actually watched that movie again last night and it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

9. Falcor5

Ya as I said earlier in the thread its bizarre to me that the most popular Next Gen movie is having two people most have never heard of who have nothing to do with the movie doing the commentary for it! I know Anthony Pascale runs Trekmovie.com and I looked on google and I guess the other guy is a writer for Lost. Strange pairing! Who knows maybe its good? Still to bad they could not have had a cast commentary along with this one.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The new releases had commentaries by writers who were associated with Trek, but not the particular project they were commenting on. Sort of 'professional fan' commentaries, I suppose. This appears to be the same, while the others are more traditional tracks (glad David Carson is doing one for Generations at last).

11. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved the commentaries on TMP and V, which were by the Okudas, the Reeves-Stevenses, and Dochterman. However, I couldn't stand the commentaries by Meyer, and Nimoy. I never even made it past about 20 minutes of those. So, those "expert fan" commentaries can be the best.

Doug

12. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

And why is that? Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with them? Were they boring? Smug? Meyer and Nimoy seem pretty cool in interviews about Star Trek, but I've never heard a commentary by either.

I heard a writer from Lost would be brought in to help Orci and Kurtzman with the next Star Trek movie. If it's the same guy, hopefully watching a good movie like "Star Trek: First Contact" will give him some good ideas for how to approach that, and watching "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" will do the same for his co-writers.

13. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

It is totally 'bizarre' that the writers and other folks involved with other incarnations are allowed to do commentaries for the earlier movies.

Totally 'bizarre'

I'd much rather have a commentary of TWOK where Takei talks about how Shatner tried to ruin his scene of promotion.

14. Doug Otte

They talk very slowly, seem very vague about some of the production details, and rehash the facts we already know. The other folks, on the other hand, are full of interesting facts about all aspects of the film they're commentating (is that a word?). They also seem to genuinely enjoy the task.

Doug

15. GHS

GHS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can't be sure, but I don't get the impression they've added the Quark deleted scene from Insurrection.

That scene is the only reason to even upgrade from the VHS copy I've had for years...

16. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

The price has dropped to $46.49 on Amazon if anyone is interested.

17. Doug Otte

That's a better price. However, I'm having a hard time getting excited about this release. I'm already buying the ST Season 2 set on the same week, and possibly the Prisoner BD set. Plus, I was disappointed by the quality of the 1-6 movie set (better than DVD, yes, but not as good a BD could be). Also, TNG is not weathering well in my mind.

I'll probably wait and see if Costco offers a rebate, like they did w/ the 1-6 set. Or, maybe I'll just wait a couple of months and try to find a used copy.

Doug

18. guardian

guardian Commodore

I am and I ordered it.

Thanks!!