Lost 5x06: "316"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

57.3%
  2. Above Average

20.0%
  3. Average

17.3%
  4. Below Average

4.0%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

Me too!

I've lost that loving feeling. Now it's gone, gone, gone.

Woh-oo-woh-woo-woh.

2. Watched this again. Great episode, and a real iconic feeling to their second flight.

However, I do need a semi-rational explanation as to why Frank ended up on that same plane. I assume we're going to get explanations of Sayid, Hurley, and Kate. For the latter 3, I assume Widmore somehow set it up, blackmailed them or something.

3. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I'm about to watch it again but doesn't Frank say he flies that route a couple times a week?

I don't think he's included in the ones that need to go back to the Island. Although the previews look like the plane didn't continue on.

So I'm watching for a third time and Jacks Grandpa says "Next time I run away no one will find me." And he has just the items that Jack needs. Could gramps know about the Island also?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  4. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fate? Faith? Destiny? All of those seem to be a big part of the Lost mythology so it could be we might never be given a rational (semi or otherwise) explanation.
    On the other hand if they do keep giving us rational and semi-rational explanations to all the random and strange events and coincidences then they might be trying to show that there is no such thing as fate or destiny.

We've already seen that now with Locke. He wasn't destined to be the leader of the Others or fated to be. He went back in time and told Richard who he was and when he was born, etc... so he created his own "destiny" to be the leader of the Others, which means it wasn't destiny at all.

5. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Or maybe he was always supposed to be there. He was supposed to be flying 815. At the last second he switched with another pilot. Maybe the island's been trying to get him to come back ever since.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Above average. The "doubting Thomas" scene was the highlight. Jack has gone from being a character I found semi-annoying in S1 to one of my favorites.

So, I wonder if the Island (and the other, err, "places") somehow stay "in place" while everything moves around them? The Earth spins and orbits the Sun, the Solar System spins around the Milky Way, the universe expands...but the Island is immobile and eternal.

I would like that. :)

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone find it funny that John Terry's character (Christian Shephard) was dead before the pilot episode yet they've done more with his character -- pre and post death -- than Boone, Shannon, Libby, Charlotte and others combined?

8. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Grandpa Shephard could well be Jacob himself...
    Personally I don't know. It's very plausible. Ties in with the whole John (Locke ;)) 3:16 vibe of the episode (those who believe in him will not die in a plane crash but instead will have everlasting life on The Island ;)), and indeed in reference to "his only son" Christian (whom some have thought could represent The Messiah, what with the whole resurrection thing and stuffs) and to Jack's belief issues in this episode too.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I have to say that really bugs me because of the predestined paradox that situation creates. The time traveling element right now is creating a lot of situations for such paradoxes and that has me worried. I'm willing to trust the writers to the end, but it is the one thing going on the show right now that concerns me.

Yeah, I've noticed that for awhile now. I love it. :D

10. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

They've always failed to disappoint on that count.

One little cycle that a someone at work theorized was that Desmond brings his son Charlie back to the Island and to the past. Somehow the son leaves with a Dharma couple and their other son and the man starts a butcher shop in England.

It's a crazy one but kinda neat.

11. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

I wasn't so thrilled with this episode. It all felt a bit like a dream: a lot happened, but the way the characters reacted to it (or not reacted at all) felt off.

12. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

No expert in physics but wouldn't that mean that the Island would end up in space if it stayed in it's own spot while everything else moved, either that or I'm not fully undserstanding what you mean?

My question, was there any significance with the number of seats Hurley had bought to prevent other passengers from getting them. At first I thought 78 was somehow related to the original victims of 815 but that was over 300, but didn't the 815 survivors total in the 70's region, mid section and tail combined?

13. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

48 I believe.

14. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

He probably just bought all the empty seats that were left on the plane, he couldn't do anything about those already paid for.

15. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Someone obviously tried to enter "77".

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Does it the song end with: "bring it on back.":lol:

17. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

Wasn't 48 just the midsection survivors. Weren't the tail section survivors around 20 or so?

18. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

It was another one of the lottery numbers.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I thought about that later, darn it. Mostly it would just be hangin' out in outer space.

But there must be "rules" to the Island's movement, other than the whim of the turtle it is riding on the back of. ;)

20. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are the numbers linked to probability?

Is that what's make Hurley special?