Are you looking for more diversity in movie leading man these days?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Wadjda, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Since i started watching more foreign cinema and there are less people who can open a big movie just because they star in it i want much more diversity in protagonists. I pass on major movies because i saw this or that guy too often and i need not to watch to so seeing him feels fresh again. Anybody else had developed similar habits?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Are you looking for more diversity in movie leading man these days

If you mean more ethnic and gender diversity in movie protagonists, then yes, absolutely, we need that. There are plenty of actors who could be effective movie leads but who get excluded from consideration because they aren't white men. I think John Cho, for instance, could be a heck of a leading man. In the TV series FlashForward he was far more interesting and compelling to watch than either of the two white guys who were the most prominent male leads. And he shines in the brief moments he gets as Sulu in the Trek movies.

3. Wadjda

I meant just different faces, i was not even thinking about that. I am in favor of more diversity in general.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I assumed based on the topic he was talking about their personalities rather than their appearance. Of course more diversity in race and gender would be good too, but it would only make the world a bit more fair, it wouldn't make the movies any more interesting.

Sometimes it feels like all Blockbusters are just the same person in different situations, and that includes when the actors are different genders and races. They're all written with the same personality, just with some of the actor's mannerisms stamped on top of it.

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We'll see how well John Cho can hold his own as a leading man in Selfie. I loved him as Matthew Perry's sidekick in Go On.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

In terms of racial/gender diversity, definitely. Ignoring that it's the moral thing to do, it will also lead to better films because better actors will have a chance to star in films.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There are various character actors--and they come in a wide range of ethnicities, ages, and body types--that I thought would make great leading men but weren't ever going to be so because they didn't fit "the handsome man" type that studios, producers, etc., think would appeal the most to mainstream audiences.

Of course, there are exceptions but generally a point is made that they are unlikely types and it's usually in a comical setting (it's even become a sitcom trope for some shows to have "the ugly guy with a hot wife").

8. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much I want John Cho to succeed, the show looks rather boring.

Still, more diversity in leading roles never hurts. Real life has tons of color; and arts and entertainment reflect real life.

9. JirinPanthosa

I think that Hollywood will hire equally bad actors regardless of race.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

George Bernard Shaw is turning over in his grave right now!

11. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

There's a reason they're called leading men/women...it's because not only do they have the look....but the gravitas to carry the role. Some folks have the X factor to be leading men/women....others are better off as supporting roles/character actors.

Steve Buscemi seemed to recently come into his own as a lead in the HBO show "Boardwalk Empire"......before then, he was largely a supporting actor.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

More than that -- it's Sulu and Amy Pond!! Star Trek and Doctor Who coming together! I really want that to be a good show. Too bad the advance reviews have been discouraging.

13. Guy Gardener

Clueless lasted 3 seasons.

But then, 3rd Rock from the Sun and Mork and Mindy both had an idjit learning and relearning simple human concepts on a weekly basis for years, that could usually always be summed up by "Don't be an asshole".

14. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts, exactly.

Though, for the purpose of staying on topic, it will be interesting to see how John Cho does, the quality of the show itself notwithstanding.

15. Guy Gardener

He's doing his best Niles Crane impersonation.

16. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

sendhil ramamurthy makes a handsome leading man.

17. Guy Gardener

Too smug.

I am compelled to slap the pretty off him.

18. Wadjda

I would say the it factor only matters in action movies. When it comes to drama there are plenty of charismatic actors. I would say plenty of tough looking actors could had played Schwarzy's and Stallone's roles in a lot of movies.

19. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Actually, suddenly I'm now thinking of a segment from Family Guy where Stewie waxes non-sequitur about how "it's impossible to actually let Matthew McConnaghey know that he sucks!", and then it goes into the non-seq itself where Stewie is trying to tell McConnaghey that he sucks, and McCon is just acting all humble and unassuming, and it only pisses Stewie off further. :)

20. JirinPanthosa

Most actors who get leading roles in Blockbusters have charisma and stage presence but not a whole lot of actual acting talent.

I see no reason to think this would be any different no matter what color the actor's skin is. ;)