Recommend a good RPG?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ood Sigma, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RPGs don't sell as well as the latest Call of Duty, so companies don't produce as many copies (lest they be stuck with the leftovers).

If you want more copies in the second-hand market, more people need to start buying them at release.

2. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

Of your list, I have played:
    Breath of Fire 3
    Final Fantasy IX
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Of the remaining games, I'm not sure which are easy or difficult to fine. I've heard of some of these, and others now. I'd be interested in your take on:

- Any Suikoden game
    - Vandal Hearts
    - Radiata Stories
    - Tales of Vesperia
    - Xenoblade Chronicles
    - The Last Story

Also of the remaining games, maybe pick one or two that you feel are under-rated and are really good.

Also, as a general update, I'm about 30 hours into FF13-2. I believe I'm getting close to the end of the main storyline, right now just exploring a lot of the alternate timelines and picking up non-required fragments as I look for Graviton Cores. So I'll be needing to pick up a new game soon.

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you like classic Final Fantasy then there's a good bet that you'll like The Last Story, considering that it's created by Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of the Final Fantasy series.

Personally, I'd grown slightly disillusioned with the most recent Final Fantasy games -they're ok games, but they disappointed me as Final Fantasy games. The Last Story felt more like a proper FF game to me than many of the latter installments did.

Good VA, good music (not surprising given that it's by FF stalwart Nobuo Uematsu), a good story, and a pretty good combat system.

Xenoblade Chronicles - personally, I thought it was the best JRPG of this generation.

4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Not an RPG, but Telltale Games' The Walking Dead game from last year is amazing. It's an old-fashioned point-and-click adventure game, but the story and voice acting are absolutely wonderful.

Heh, I can see that yup.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I know this won't apply to you since you said you aren't playing on a PC, but to anyone else who doesn't mind going retro, the games published by Spiderweb are highly recommended. I'm currently playing through the Geneforge series and it's excellent. They're also available on GOG.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also from Spiderweb Software, the first Avernum game just received a high quality remake. Arvenum: Escape From the Pit. For some reason it's $20 on the official site, but only $10 on Steam. Steam's the way to go if you're interested.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and you can get the whole collection of Avernum on GOG for $11.99. The only thing it doesn't include is the remake. Pretty good deal :) Good way to get them all.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013