What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brent, May 17, 2013.

1. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Never liked the TNG era warp cores. The blinking neon lights made it look more like a Dairy Queen than an Engine Room.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved it. Loved it.

3. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like it.. The engineering set looks similar to the set from the first movie which was filmed in a Budweiser factory. I didn't think that they filmed at Budweiser again this time around, but they do look similar and we got to see more of engineering..

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I loved it because it looked so real on the outside and quite futuristic on the inside. It's very different from what we've seen so far in Trek.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I loved it, too. It felt much more authentic. I wasn't against the Budweiser Engine room the first time around, but this time, it's just automatically believable for me.

Also, kick the shit out of that core, Kirk! That's how we fix things around here! :D

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah, that scene made me laugh even though it was so dramatic. First, he had to climb up to reach this thing and then he had to kick it into place repeatedly until it was fine again. Poor Kirk. And who the hell designed this? I hope Kirk wrote a letter of complaint to the ship's designers. :lol:

7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It actually didn't look like it was going to budge at all and when it did move it moved backwards slightly :D

8. Amaris

Just for the record, that's how I change spark plugs.

I saw that, too, and I felt so bad for Kirk, plus with the time running out it was very frustrating, so J.J. did a great job of keeping the tension ratcheted up. :D

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It was a little jarring at first and took a few minutes to acclimate to, but I like it. And not only does it look more believable as a spacecraft engine system for a vessel of this size but it's parsecs better than the Old Milwaukee brewery from the last film.

That one dispensed weak beer. This one: sweet, sweet party liquor.

10. Amaris

Agreed, and I say that as someone who didn't mind the brewery set.

I did get a kick out of hearing one guy tell me of the warp core, "there's no way that anyone would have a reactor that looks like that. No wonder these movies are shit. They're so unrealistic."

I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a real fusion reactor. :lol:

Of course, he had no problem extolling the realism of the other Star Trek movie warp cores, so I guess it depends on how deep the denial goes.

11. cooleddie74

And to the folks poo-pooing the new warp core because "it doesn't look anything like the warp cores we've been used to since the movie era first began" and whatnot:

The original TOS engine room and warp core didn't look anything like the warp cores we became used to starting in December of 1979. Trek is entitled to change how starship engine systems look every now and then to keep pace with the changing times, tastes and developing scientific and mechanical knowledge. The TOS warp reactor system from 1966-69 was a product of that era just as the vertical and horizontal, pulsating warp core with glowing plasma was a product of increased budgets and more daring set designs in the wake of high-tech blockbusters such as Star Wars.

The warp core and engine room of Archer's 22nd century NX-01 took elements from both TOS and the shows and films of later generations and created a cramped, clunky engine room with a relatively low ceiling, lots of ladders and metal railings and a swinging door that opened and closed with a manual handle.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Point of order. There was no warp core in TOS at all. In the real world production timeline, it hadn't even been conceived of yet. TAS had an engineering core, but still no so-called warp core.

13. cooleddie74

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Don't forget about the Lithium Crystals. :p

15. Amaris

Was that where we secretly replaced them with Folger's Crystals?

16. cooleddie74

Say what you want, Ben Childress and his miners had a swank ass camp and living quarters. I mean, you hung rusted metal frying pans on a line outside so the wind and sand could blast them clean.

Between that and the Hoss Cartwright leather vest he must have gotten so much tail.

17. Amaris

Yeah, but he was still a bit of an asshole.

18. cooleddie74

You think your miners are better than ours?

[​IMG]

Mandelbaum!
    Mandelbaum!
    MANDELBAUM!

19. Amaris

[​IMG]

20. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

For me, the main issue is that the reactor core lacked features that I would associate with a work area. You know, like stairways and catwalks that provide access at varying levels to the reactor. Instead, if an engineer has to repair the core, they have to climb over machinery and pipes.