Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I think with vanilla it's pretty easy to do both. I will check, though.

2. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The last time I downloaded a backup I had a blast. I used so much TNT that i crashed the game. Worth it.

3. Robert Maxwell

For those of you who don't browse my Minecraft forum, I've set up a new server. It's 1.8.1 vanilla. I have a nice, safe spawn zone set up so you don't have to worry about getting ganked by zombies and skellies the moment you 'port in. It's survival mode (as is my way.)

gorzek.ddns.net:27365

Everyone whitelisted on the old server is whitelisted on this one. If you want in and I haven't whitelisted you before (or it's telling you you're not on the list), PM me your username. :)

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

My mouse is down at the moment so I'll grab a new one soon and see if I can join, never really done much online playing.

5. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Popped on to the server for a bit of mining today! First time I've played Minecraft in ages. Unfortunately I've forgotten my user/password on the forums and I haven't gotten the 'forgot your pw' email yet.

6. Robert Maxwell

PM me your email address and I'll send you a new password.

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

So it looks like Microsoft is finally trying to monetize Minecraft, via a series of episodic "stories".

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l_tc3hC_VU[/yt]

8. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Kestra and I are playing on our own little server, and we have a Guardian problem. We'd like to do some beachfront development near our village, and having an underwater temple nearby is kind of cool, but we are bit put off by the giant fish shooting laser beams.

Will the laserfish just respawn if killed? If so, what's a permanent solution? Would utterly demolishing the temple stop them? Or maybe we could somehow drain the area so there's no water for them to spawn in?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  9. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Holy carp! A gaming question I can really answer! Hold on, I'm just going to take a moment and enjoy this...

Okay, here we go. This is a comprehensive strategy for dealing with underwater monuments and all their associated monsters. It took me a long time to defeat this one. This is the toughest thing Minecraft has come up with in a long time, in my opinion.

The issues:
    1. Underwater monuments (UMs) are surrounded by masses of Guardians, which are one-eyed fish that shoot lasers at you. Side note: they love to shoot squid as well so if you need black ink you can just scuttle around a UM and pick up tons of ink sacs. I have 70+ right now. But anyway, these things also have spikes on them so they will injure you considerably if you get close enough to slash them with a sword.
    2. The UMs are in Deep Ocean biomes and are very large--too large to explore adequately on one breath before you start drowning. This is made even more difficult because there are also...
    3. Elder Guardians. These guys are big and powerful and each UM has three. Their most significant power is that every few minutes they search within a 50 block radius and affect any players within that radius--no matter where they are--with Mining Fatigue. Mining Fatigue makes it extremely difficult to mine through even the simplest blocks. It'll take you about a minute to mine through anything more complicated than dirt or cobblestone. Also, as far as I can tell, there is no potion you can brew that will counteract Mining Fatigue. You have it for 5 minutes--unless you stay within 50 block of an Elder Guardian, in which case you have it indefinitely as he'll just keep hitting you with it again and again.

Strategy:
    Your strategy is to get to the UM as quickly as possible and tunnel in from the sides (don't just use the front door, as there are areas that will be impossible/difficult to access) before getting hit with Mining Fatigue. The Elder Guardians hang out inside and you have to take them out, otherwise you won't be able to do anything. Luckily they are big and don't maneuver well inside the temple, which is good because they are hard to defeat. Oh yeah, mining fatigue affects every tool you try to use, including your sword.

You will need:
    Potion of Water Breathing (8 minute variety)
    Potion of Invisibility (8 minute variety)

Without these, you won't make it. The Guardians can't see you if you use invisibility--even if you hit them with a sword they still can't find you. And you will need the Water Breathing to give yourself time to explore and find the Elder Guardians once you get inside. I went through at least 6 of each potion before being able to locate all the Elder Guardians the first time I did this, but the time was cut considerably shorter the next couple I tried. Note that you can't wear armor while using Invisibility--only you are invisible, your armor is not. You will get shot.

Once the EGs are dead, you'll still need the potions to stay alive long enough to loot the place, fyi. But the looting is pretty good! Sea lanterns, prismarine, prismarine bricks, and dark prismarine, plus I found 8 blocks of gold hidden within a large pillar.

The laser fish, as far as I can tell, will keep spawning, so if you building something nearby just be aware of this. You will be able to kill them much more easily once the EGs are out of the way, however, and I find them useful for farming black ink, as I mentioned earlier.

Best of luck!

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, I haven't played in so long I don't even know half of what you just said... :lol: I really need to get back to it someday, but I keep getting distracted by other things.

11. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

hey ghoulley, thanks for the advice on clearing a monument. We're not going to try entering it just yet, though. We've walled the place off and are slowly draining it. No more laserfish and it could be turned into an archeological dig site. Or a fancy house.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  12. Robert Maxwell

Sounds like you have to come in loaded for bear if you want to take on a monument!

13. galleywest

Yeah, it takes some strategy, that's for sure. And some time. And a brewing stand!

I love the idea of draining it and making it an archaeological site/fancy house. How are you draining it? I think that's a great idea and would love to give it a try. Oooh, it would be really cool if you could wall it in glass!

14. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Step one 1 was to build a square stone walkway around the perimeter of the monument. Standing on this we dropped sand along all four sides until we had walls reaching the surface.

Now we need to get the water out of that enclosed space. We might end up just filling the entire thing with sand, then digging it away again. Haven't found a quicker way of removing water.

Glass walls are a great idea!

15. galleywest

The sand is such a good idea, that's a timesaver. I'm trying to remember what I did when I built a much smaller underwater structure, and I think I did exactly what you suggest, filled it with sand and then dug it out. I remember it being kind of a pain, but the results were worth it. I thought that sponges were supposed to be able to remove water more quickly, but I've never actually tried that. I also wonder if the laser fish are going to present a logistical problem--if they occupy a space can you put a sand block there?

16. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I feel like they will possibly take damage from falling sand and move out of the way. Sponges would be ideal, but we'd need to go in to get our first one so that won't work this time unfortunately.

The sand is sort of a pain but sort of fun, too. Also if it's not been mentioned, drinking milk takes away mining fatigue. Sometimes they just put it back on you instantly, sometimes you get some time before they do.

17. galleywest

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You people are all monsters.

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just in case you guys didn't hear......
    https://mojang.com/2015/12/minecraft-coming-to-nintendo-wii-u/

Personally, I'm excited for this! We only have one rather underpowered laptop at home, so I can't really play along side my kids on the PC version. Not to mention one of them is usually using it for homework or Skype. I'll bet my 7 year old will really like this, since he usually gets the short end of the stick for computer time.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Catalog photos pertaining to the next Super Sentai series have leaked

FYI "Super Sentai" is the franchise of series that Power Ranger's adapts for America.

America is currently 2 seasons behind when adapting footage.

The new toys take a twist on Minecraft since it's super popular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stack the cubes, stab it with the sword, and unfold them to form Jyuoh King. Sword can then be pulled out (without helmet attached) and used as the weapon.

[​IMG]