Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Nov 2, 2012.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*pleased to read this last item*

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Indeed !

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, established continuity in this forum (i.e. earlier threads) indicates that the incident involving the Giant Space Chicken was replaced in Starfleet's official logs by a falsified account of a two-week survey of the Turquoise Nebula.

So we've already covered that story idea. :)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I thought the Giant Space Chicken was in New Frontier Book 4...

5. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

So you're admitting that such a thing did happen!

6. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Egads, Christopher... Every halfway intelligent Star Trek fan knows that the GSC was consumed by the antimatter villi creature in the first draft of ADF's novelization of the TAS episode "One of Our Planets is Missing" before Roddenberry ordered it's removal because it was the central figure in the Planet of the Titans ST film concept.

I am shocked at yor utter lack of Trek knowledge, and plan to lodge a formal complaint with the management in the morning. I mean, what's next, Christopher?

Sheer incompetence...

Rob+

7. Christopher

Ahh, but what you're forgetting is that the Giant Space Egg came first!

...Or did it?

8. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's great news. IMHO the history of the early Federation definitely also needs some civilian leaders and visionaries involved, plus I loved Articles.

9. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh my goodness... The Giant Space Egg was in TNG's third season. Seriously, Christopher... I thought that temporal quandary was being handled in the next DTI book.

Rob+

10. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Chris I am very excited that you are going to be writing in this time period. You are one of my favorite Trek authors, your attention to detail and the Trek timeline are perfect for Enterprise. For all our battles here, you have my respect. Ex Machina is still one of my favorite Trek books. I look forward to hear more as you write and then digging into what I am sure will be a great book.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I heard that the chicken came first but that it was faking it. :p

12. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I think it was the egg that was faking it, but Chris are you going to Star wars Trek up or hard science it or what's the difference between the two? And if April and Pike are captains of Kirk's ship, are you really that dedicated to that Akira class P38 design NX-01 ship or was that whole experimental class deemed a failure. It was ugly. GR's universe was beautiful. Do we have to have ugly, dark and gritty?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I wonder whether the Kzinti might be mentioned? There inclusion into Trek lore seems a tricky issue. :vulcan: They and Earth were in conflict some "200 years" before 2269 (TAS: The Slaver Weapon)

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But this novel takes place nearly a century after that. So I don't think there's really a need to mention it.

15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Yes, you're right. When I posted I thought it fell in this timeframe. Should've looked it up before I opened my mouth. :alienblush:

16. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess the fact that many bring up various things that don't fall into this time frame speaks to how ripe it is for filling in in some way ...

17. Christopher

That would only happen with Larry Niven's blessing, and I'm not sure he'd be inclined to grant it, particularly since there's been a spate of new Known Space novels over the past few years co-written by Niven and Edward Lerner, the Fleet of Worlds series, so it's a going concern again. I tend to feel that Trek and Known Space should remain their own distinct universes anyway.

Despite that preference, I have actually given some thought to whether TSW's backstory could somehow be tweaked in a way compatible with currently known Trek history, and I just couldn't see it. We know from "Terra Nova" that Earth's first interstellar colony was founded in 2078 and failed five years later, and we don't know how much later it was that Alpha Centauri, Vega, and other worlds were colonized. But it does seem that Earth expanded rather slowly in those early decades, and that the Vulcans were overseeing them rather closely, and probably protecting them from potential threats. The Earth we saw at the start of ENT was quite naive about interstellar contacts, probably because of Vulcan sheltering; Archer and his crew didn't know much about other races and didn't expect they'd run into many hostile aliens. If they'd been through a series of wars against a vicious race of spacegoing tigers in the previous century, they wouldn't have had such rosy expectations.

18. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Very excited for this news. An era I've always found interesting. Never read the whole "Year One" but the few serials in the trek books I read at the time were pretty good.

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm, wasn't the Federation war with the M'dok (the thinly veiled Kzinti substitute in The Captains' Honor) in the 22nd century?

Also, the war with the Tarn (from The Forgotten War) was either in the 22nd century or the 23rd, depending on which dating cues you believe.

20. Hando

Hando Commander Red Shirt

Yes both the United Earth Foreign ministry and the Starfleet Intelligence were not doing their job yet. Perhaps this is why Section 31 had to go into the high gear in the 2150s.

As to the peaceful nature of humans. We know that it took till 2130s that United Earth was formed, by the 2070s the people were still barbaric. So I don't see humans defending themselves against 4 fleets (= 4 "wars") in the very early decades of the 22nd century that implausible, after all it would be several generations before the unification is done and humans become such as we see them.

On the other hand there was an untold number of unsanctioned colonies (Moab comes to mind but there were surly others more in line with this premise) to the known (Terra Nova, AC, Deneva ...) and/or transplanted humans. So is it not likely that the Kzinti were feuding with these? Although than the Sirius in the Treaty of Sirius has to have an other meaning than the star.

The character ages make only the 23rd century believable. the 22nd century is too early and a war this early in the Federation history would have shaped the society in a wrong way.