Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

83.3%
  2. Above average

11.5%
  3. Average

2.6%
  4. Below average

1.3%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Judged as a television show, it is certainly far better than the books. ;)

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Not sure if legit or not...

http://amymarie97.tumblr.com/post/52027265420/breaking-news-game-of-thrones-episode-forces

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Honestly, I really hope that's not true (and it feels quite over the top). Not only is the overreaction absurd, it's embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I get overly obsessed with shows, films, novels, and whatever else just as much (and more) as the next person, but this is ridiculous.

4. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

There is 0% chance of that story being true.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. A passenger throwing a fit big enough to force them to land the plane is one thing. The pilot is a whole other level of unrealism.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good sir, I am happy to inform you that hitherto unknown assets are being held in your name at the First National Bank of Zamunda which you have inherited from a distant uncle. If you would please send me through PayPal a sum of $18,654.64 to cover the processing I would be happy to transfer the balance of this inheritance, $10,476,398.22 to your accounts.

Sincerely,

Prince Akeem Joffer

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I would love that story to be true if only to confirm my suspicion that the human race has totally lost the plot.

8. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

Exactly. Whatever happened to Blackfish? Did he know?

9. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We pay these people to create feelings inside us which we are too lazy to create through living our own lives better.

Of course when we think we are asking to have one set of emotions manifested and get a different set, it's not unlike picking up the wrong prescription from the chemist giving you the squirts when you really needed to be stopped up.

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I found "The good guys are meant to win! Not this!" quite amusing.

12. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

That is what I was going to say. One passenger raging is a possibility but any more than that it wold start to get suspicious and the pilot's behaviour confirms it is bullshit.

I have witness some of the reactions to Robb and Catelyn's deaths and I am beginning to ask myself if I am normal or not. I have never been anywhere near close to getting as upset as some people do about a fictional character's death - Not Ned, Rob or Catelyn Stark, not Daddy Winchester or other characters in Supernatural, not Gandalf nor Boromir, not Charlie Pace from Lost, not Jadzia nor Tasha Yar etc, etc

I did shed a tear or two when I read about Rafael Echavarren's death in the book Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors but he was a real life person.

Maybe, just maybe, if I had been alive in 1893 I might have been upset at Sherlock Holmes's death.

EDITED TO ADD - My son hasn't read the third book yet so he had no idea what would happen at the Red Wedding. His reaction was "Oh, fuck" but it never got stronger than that.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I cried when George Kirk died. But I was primed, so to speak. Years of Star Trek led me to that moment.

The only on screen death which really upset me was Adrianna's in Sopranos.

Oh and Tess D'Urberville's death gutted me the first time I read the book. But I was very young.

The Game of Thrones characters as seen on the show seem to be mostly shorthand for differing qualities. Steadfastness, arrogance, familial pride, sentiment, devotion.. I can't see them as real people and other than thinking Tyrion is extremely hot I don't find them people I relate to, or care about. The scene worked because it was very well done but on a personal note it was nothing to me. Obviously it has a lot of impact on others, I just don't find them very fleshed out in a relatable way, though they and the show sure do look good. I do feel as though as I'm looking through a window at everyone's great experience, while admiring it's prettiness.

14. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Prince Akeem, you got yourself a deal!

15. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I wasn't being entirely serious. ;) It's been obvious for a while that he's just going to get with Dany. I do love Iain Glen, I think he does great work. Dude's got an awesome voice and I loved that we saw him fighting a bit in this past episode. He really looks at home wielding a broadsword.
    I was not prepare to be that emotionally effected that short into that movie. Great stuff.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Of course it's not legit. That was the fakest fake story ever. It might as well have been right out of a second rate knockoff of The Onion. There's not even a link or a source cited, and that's just once you get beyond the ridiculousness of the story itself.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking at the tumblr page, it's not even intended to be taken seriously - it's simply a funny response to a tweet.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting how they adjust the main credits from episode to episode. Since Peter Dinklage was not in this episode his name was not the opening credits and Emily Clarke was the top credit this episode. Most shows always list the same credits in the opening whether the actor is in the episode or not.

19. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ I noticed that too. I suspect that, due to the unusually large cast this series has, the producers procured a side-agreement with SAG to limit the credits to only those who actually have roles in a given episode. That would be my guess, anyway. :shrug:

Well...that enters into the realm of book-based spoilers and people seem to not like that in these parts, even if it is in hidden spoiler code. Suffice it to say...
    Yes, he knows exactly what happened.

20. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

Right. thank you for letting me know the truth.