Columbia House Next Generation VHS series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by miketrek, Jan 29, 2013.

1. miketrek

miketrek Cadet Newbie

Hi --
    I am new to your site. I have about 82 VHS tapes from Columbia House Next Generation and am wondering in there is any interest or value to these tapes. Some are still sealed.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome to the site. One of the house rules around here is no soliciting. That is a quick way to get a thread locked and get your account penalized.

If you're looking to unload them, honestly ebay would probably be your best bet. Though I'm not sure how much interest you'd get. Even the old DVD's are becoming obsolete with the BlueRays coming out. Either way, this site isn't the place to conduct your business. I do hope you'll stick around and participate in the various Trek discussions though! :)

3. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't get the impression the OP was trying to solicit here. I think he was just asking if they are rare items (still wrapped, etc.).

4. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

[Moderator voice] The inquiry is OK but an attempt to sell them on the board would not be. [/Moderator voice] Like R. Star said, Ebay would probably be your best bet but I doubt if they have much value today.

5. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, between the DVDs, BluRay and Netflix, I doubt there's much of a market. Sorry.

6. R. Star

Just seemed to me to be borderline so figured I'd mention it. I apologize if I came off as overbearing or anything. I did offer a suggesting to the initial query regardless that I hope was well received.

I don't even own a VHS anymore for example. Though as much as I'm a holdout with my huge DVD collection not to upgrade to BluRay, maybe there's still someone out there doing it with VHS. Ebay's usually the first place I'll look for an obscure or older item I might want.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I didn't switch to DVD until around 2010, when I got a computer that could play them properly. But I haven't touched the VCR in over a year, though I have over 200 tapes, including the Paramount ones from the 80s and 90s.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I honestly wouldn't say the tapes hold any value whatsoever. I'm not even sure eBay would be a valid route since between the reserve and shipping costs it'll hardly be worth the time and trouble.

Best option is likely just putting them in a box in a garage or attic or simply throwing them away.

9. Melakon

Or have a garage/yard sale. Second hand store might even turn them down. Or, donate to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

10. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Absolutely no problem. You came across in an advisory mode to me. If you'd scolded him, it might have been different.

11. miketrek

miketrek Cadet Newbie

Thanks for the advice and appreciate the comments on site rules. No Problem. Don't know unless you ask and folks give you candid answers.

12. Melakon

Or read the FAQ first. ;)

13. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Back in my unable to get a date High School days, I taped all 178 episodes of TNG from the syndicated reruns along with the first run of DS9 seasons 3-7. My mom recently found the box of tapes in her house and asked me if I wanted them. Broke my heart to tell her to throw them away.

14. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love those old VHS tapes, but I don't think you would get much for them. I keep mine as collectors items. I would recommend doing the same.

15. R. Star

Yeah, maybe in another 20 years they'll be valuable antiques? :p

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Likely in 20 years they'll be unique paper weights. Consumer-level tapes don't hold their content forever.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'd echo what other people have said and say they hold little value now.

18. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

You likely won't get much out of them wherever you go. I was in Half Price Books not long ago, and they had what seemed to be the entire collection of TNG Columbia House tapes - at least 80 of the tapes, anyway - and they were selling them at two dollars per tape.

Now you know, any store like that has to mark something up to get a profit out of things. It makes me wonder if the person who sold them even got ten dollars out of the whole collection.

As already said in this thread, people have moved on to DVDs, Blu-Ray, and Netflix. What took up an entire shelving unit on tape can now fit in about a Subway footlong-size space on one shelf on DVD ... Or none at all if you stream through Netflix.