What do you Think about XI?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Nakth, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Nakth

Nakth Ensign Newbie

Do you think that this movie will re spark interest among fans or even grab new fans?

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes.

3. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

It'll probably grab some new one-time fans, but the movie really isn't anything they haven't seen before in something like the Star Wars prequels. Some will absolutely gush for the movie and how awesome they thought it was, others will go on about how awful it was, and the rest will just shrug their shoulders.

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I hope that the movie will be able to spark interest and re-ignite the franchise. I already know two people (my girlfriend and another friend of mine) who have expressed interest in the movie, despite never watching trek before. I remain pessimistic though. I don't want to be let down in the event that the film does poorly.

5. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The film has and will spark interest among trekkies and those who arent into Star Trek:)
    There surely will be some new fans, but i feel somehow that minority of them will be what we call Trekkies. I hope im wrong, though:techman:
    One must remember that there are people who went to see films like Dark Knight or Transformers arent necessarily fans of either, per se, and just want to see some good summer flick and have good time in the cinema.
    These viewers most likely wont be buying toys or other Trek stuff, nor they most likely will watch any earlier Star Trek movies or shows.
    They will go see the sequel most likely and that will make the studio happy, because their money is mostly needed and wanted...

6. npsf3000

npsf3000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One thing people forget is that this might be the first movie in which there is decent space battle cgi -i've spent years looking for it, so have others. If the plot isn't too shoddy and they have at least 10 mins of good cgi they might pick up quite a few fans.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

while i enjoy a good space battle as much as the next person, Trek has never been about space battles. or at least, it shouldn't be.

8. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

It will indeed re-ignite the franchise. This movie will cause millions to buy the newly released DVD sets of Star Trek, and see where it all began. Some will even venture into the 24th century, and explore the adventures of Picard, Sisko, and Janeway.

9. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Or some will buy the DVDs since that's basically all that will be left for them to do.

10. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe one two-hour bit of Trek could be pretty action packed? We don't need everything Trek can do encapsulated into only two hours, surely? As long as it's much better than the movie your name comes from (which really was all about battles - boring ones), it'll be a fun time.

11. Nakth

Nakth Ensign Newbie

I remember years ago when Trek was very popular, I could find tons discussions, chats and irc networks about Star Trek, alot of things have died down. I hope this movie does spark interest, even in the "new youth".

12. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

You know, I keep hearing that Star Trek was popular back during TNG, but I certainly never really saw any of that, personally. I can still remember getting made fun of as a kid for liking Star Trek (or "Track" as they called it)

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Yes, I think it will.

14. Nakth

Nakth Ensign Newbie

I remember those days, everyone from the online communities I've been with have been disappearing, they come and go it must be a phase.

15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

aren't you like 20 years old?

of course you don't remember the chat rooms during TNG :lol:

I do, btw. I was in college then and it was pretty exciting for Trekkies. Trek was *in*. I'm hoping things go back at least partway to that. it'll do Trek good if this movie does well. if only for that, I can't imagine any REAL Trekkie not wishing this movie well.

16. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

I'm 26. I was in 5th grade when TNG went off the air.

As for wanting the movie to do well, how many could really say that of one of the other bad ones, like STV, INS, or NEM? Besides, it's not about wanting a Trek movie to do well or not, it's about not wanting a bad Trek movie to do well. I'd rather the movie actually be good if it was going to do well.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad. Isn't it that simple?

If it's bad, people who have been anticipating its greatness will admit their disappointment. Except for Starship Polaris. :p

If it's good, people who have been constantly bitching and moaning about it will still say it's bad to fulfill their own prophecies.

18. Nakth

Nakth Ensign Newbie

Yeah, actually Im 21 but that is irrelevant. The whole TNG fan craze more or less came to the internet with AOL Message Board/Chat Rooms and Games Released by Paramount partners. After the TNG season was off the air and while I was watching reruns on spike and watching DS9 and Voy, is when thing were picking up on the internet. People had more time to get involved. But things died off when ENT came out.

19. indranee

well, obviously I am operating from the premise that this one's better than all of those :lol:

20. indranee

things pretty much died off after DS9 went off the air. I don't remember much of anything happening the last couple of years of VOY.