X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the famous line up shot from the Usual Suspects has even become Singer's logo for Bad Hat Harry Productions as we all saw at the beginning of the movie.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I rewatch Usual Suspects at least once a year.
    GREAT FILM!!

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Usual Suspects is a good film not a great one. It's almost like they thought of the twist ending and then built the movie around it. Still, that film aside his ther work has problems. I already mentioned my problem with X2. I still love it, but act two was a little odd. Again Storm and Jean hang out in a plane in boston until the plot needs them again.

4. Obiwanshinobi

It's only a good film because you say it's a good film when in fact it's a GREAT film!

Its subjective.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

knew this would happen. I made the comment, whatever But the Usual Suspects is not the topic. X-Men is, and I was specificaly mentioning Singer's tendency to say loose continuity" when he can't seem to decide if the films are in the same universe.

6. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Universe schmooniverse. Vague continuity is the most that should be expected. :)

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a pretty good movie overall. I am glad I saw it but not enough to ever buy a copy of it later.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

As far as I'm concerned, continuity only has relevance if it's important to the plot. And by that, I mean it had to be important when originally established and the fact that it was established has to be important to this movie. Only then do inconsistencies really bother me. Sure it's nice to have everything harmonious, but that's secondary. Certainly doesn't come close to distracting from what this movie did really well.

9. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone else find the opening scene odd? Even at the time, moreso in hindsight... Erik kills two guards, Shaw is delighted... takes no precautions, walks over, hands Erik a coin... shouldn't he be a little rattled? have some precaution in place? not have a room of knives next door?

I guess in hindsight, maybe he knows he's protected by his powers, but at the time, it plays... odd.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Nazis or people who worked in concentration camps probably weren't known for the compassion or "care" when it came to other people. He wasn't rattled because he'd already seen the boy do something amazing and the room full of knives was there as intimidation.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

In hindsight, it's not odd in the slightest. Shaw wasn't going to be hurt by Erik because of his power and he didn't care about the Nazi soldiers because he views them as inferior. At the time, I thought it was disconcerting, but it made me just realize how strange he was. He seemed indifferent to all life outside of his "experiment."

12. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

When Shaw is dealing with young Erik, first, he's a mutant himself, so is very aware of what could happen. Two, he probably has no reason to believe Erik has as much power as he does.

The audience, however, doesn't know Shaw's a mutant. But I still thought it played out as someone with extensive knowledge about mutants who has probably studied them in many ways, and has no reason to believe Erik is as powerful as he really is.

I thought the scene played fantastically.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Also, it wasn't just "a room full of knives" - it was a medical torture chamber / Nazi lab experiement.

If anything, I had a problem with Xavier's complicity in Shaw's murder at the end - if he hadn't held Shaw still, Erik wouldn't have been able to torture & kill him with the coin. Xavier's sayin' for Erik not to do it, but he isn't doin' anything but helpin' Erik to kill Shaw.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I might prefer The Dark Knight more (probably because I'm more of a Batman fan than an X-Men fan, but I sure love the X-Men), but X-Men: First Class is unequivocally the best Marvel movie and probably the best X-Men movie. X2 is a really well-made film, and it's one of my favorite comic-book movies of all time, but X-Men: First Class has so much more heart and emotion and boldness and style and action that X2 looks a little underwhelming and quaint in comparison.

There's just so much I love about this movie. I think the biggest thing that I love is that joyful feeling of fun that permeates the entire film. As much as I loved Singer's films, they were always very dark, somber and morose. Vaughn definitely doesn't shy away from the darkness and the drama (Schmidt killing Erik's mother, Erik killing the officers that worked under Schmidt/Shaw, etc.) but First Class has so much fun that it's really hard not to like this movie. The 60's setting really does give the film a unique flavor, and I absolutely loved the James Bond influences. When Erik came out of the water and invaded the yacht, I could hear the Bond theme in my head.

I love that we get actual character development this time around, which was so woefully missing from the last two abhorrent films. I think some of my favorite moments were interactions between the characters. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were the true stars of this film, and they absolutely nailed both Charles Xavier and Erik Lensheer. I loved how McAvoy's Xavier was this optimistic, bright, hopeful individual who wasn't too cheery; I also love how he uses a line about mutation as a pick-up line in what might be the cleverest piece of dialogue in an X-Men film. Contrast that with Fassbender's Erik, who is chilling, dashing, and genuinely intense as well as charismatic when he needs to be (some of my favorite moments involved Fassbender's Erik- like when he interrogates a bank manager, charmingly kills two Nazi officers or tells Sebastian Shaw "I agree with everything you've said... but unfortunately, you killed my mother").

The supporting characters were great as well, and what makes this the best prequel of them all is how Singer, Vaughn, and the writers connect things to the previous trilogy in a way that enhances the original trilogy, but doesn't dilute it (I'm looking at you, Star Wars prequels). Xavier and Mystique's relationship in the previous trilogy has that much more weight given how their relationship unfolds in First Class; even Beast's reaction to the cure in X-Men: The Last Stand now has more poignancy given his character arc in this film. First Class also adds more character to those we saw in the previous films but were mere ciphers. Mystique, for example, is such a more fleshed out character here, and I absolutely loved her brotherly-sisterly relationship with Xavier. Nicholas Holt is tremendous as Hank McCoy/Beast, and I love how he was doing a mix between Kesley Grammar and Kiefer Sutherland from Dark City.

X-Men: First Class is the best film of the year so far, and probably the best comic-book film. The Cold War and Cuban Missile Crisis adds so much to this film- it makes it feel gargantuan, large and important, in a way that we haven't seen from any comic-book movie yet. The performances are extraordinarily subtle and nuanced, the action sequences are inventive and entertaining, and the storyline has enough twist and turns to keep you hanging off the edge of your seat. First Class also has some of the most efficient storytelling I've seen in a modern summer blockbuster in years. I've seen the film three times now and I can't wait to see it again; I remember when I was watching the film for a third time, and I was about 10-15 minutes from the end, and I was surprised at how briskly and effortlessly the film went along.

15. Obiwanshinobi

Whoa 3 times? As much as I love this film I don't even think I could do that.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, if he had allowed Shaw to move Shaw may have been able to kill Eric or continue in his plan/s to detonate the bomb or reap some evil. Xavier has boasted in the past and even demonstrated in this movie he has the ability to put thoughts into people's heads. So one wonders why he didn't just "reprogram" Shaw into, I dunno, thinking he was a 8-year-old girl?

;)

17. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

At the very least, he could have given Shaw the option to run out of the wrecked sub, where the rest of the team would have had a shot at stoppin' the helmet-wearin' Magneto, since Xavier couldn't get through to his friend anymore.

Instead, he just kept him locked in place, and could see & feel what Magneto was doin', makin' him just as guilty of murder.`

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I intend to see this film at least three more times...probably four.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I intend to never watch it again.

20. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's what I got. Xavier had the choice of letting Shaw put his plan in motion, or let Erik kill him. He chose to let Shaw die rather than set him free.

Come on, it's Xavier's first day at this... he's not going to have all the choices at his fingertips. Plus, he says he's not going to be able to hold Shaw for long... I think he's holding on tight, with only hold or let go as options.

I also think the movie makes it clear that Xavier experiences the attack while connected to Shaw, that Erik is inflicting the moment on both of them. I think we have to acknowledge Xavier as well-motivated if he'll experience that rather than let go of Shaw.

I thought it was maybe the best moment in the film.

Other candidates -

- the opening (still a little odd)

- Erik's visit to a Swiss bank

- Erik's visit to Argentina (Pig farmers and tailors took their name from them...)

- Erik teaches Banshee to fly

- the dogfight at the end was fun

Others?