Anti-Spock racism/general disrespect for the XO

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Dale Sams, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Please don't presume that you know how I think.

2. Captain Tracy

Captain Tracy Commander Red Shirt

Exactly spot-on. Again, it is all about PERSPECTIVES. That is probably the best summation of the likely attitude which Spock has to deal with on a ship full of humans.

I suppose if one considers he must keep his 'human-half' in check continually, I wonder if that same half of him just want to scream out in frustration about "those stupid freakin' Terrans"? LOL!

3. Captain Tracy

and that would be the "collective" use of the word "you, we, or us",.. not the "personal".

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Again though, it makes him a hypocrite because he knows full well that the Vulcans used to be far worse than Humanity ever was.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose the positive spin of this is that Star Trek reserved its racial ribbing (or racial tension as with Stiles) for a fictional species, implicitly suggesting that racism was very much in Earth's past.

But also yeah, the show does carry its 1960s baggage around and that's dated some aspects pretty badly.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So? He's never exactly kept that to himself. He's more than happy to tell people Vulcans were bad ass crazy back in the day. He uses it a teaching moment.

Do we bring up the Vikings every time a Scandinavian criticizes the current behavior of another country?

7. Captain Tracy

Agreed.

Also, the fact that SPOCK is a product of the history and philosophies of his culture, does not mean that his personal feelings have to go lock-step with the collective norm.

So while he is well aware of the "barbaric" past of the Vulcans, that in no way means that he does not have to fight the urge to rip the head off off Dr. McCoy and shout Shakespearean Soliloquies down the good Doctors erased neck.

It just makes him real.

As I said before, "folks is folks" saying one thing, while thinking another.

8. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Fuck me, but I miss those days. What exactly was so wrong with that, again?

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Truth.

:D

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

What exactly was so good with that, really?

And Spock acts like humans are the worst bunch around, when even he knows that isn't true. He acts like they're worse than the Klingons or Romulans or whatever else.

11. Nerys Myk

Which episodes are those?

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Just his general attitude towards humans really. He keeps bringing up the nastiness in their past (constantly forgetting about the nastiness in the Vulcans' pasts) like they're the worst.

13. Nerys Myk

You're gonna have to to better than that. Where does he say or at least imply that Humans are the worst species ever? And as I said before, he's quite willing to discuss Vulcan's nasty past.

You have watched TOS, right?

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

... Ghostbusters?

:D

15. Captain Tracy

Well, if you weren't there,... there would be no way to explain the difference to you,... let me guess, you were born sometime after 1989,.. yes?

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Not everyone looks at the past through a romanticized haze.

tonk'peh likes this.
  17. Captain Tracy

LOL!!! GOOD ONE!!!! and certainly holds up the case too! LOL!!

18. Captain Tracy

You have no idea how right on the money you are.

It so bad today that you can't make a crack about something totally innocuous without someone reading their own personal paranoid BS into it, and projecting something completely different onto your words, and screaming: "LAW GIVERS,.. LAW GIVERS,.. LANDRU,.. HELP ME,.. I'VE WET MYSELF,.. LANDRU,.. "

It's Pathetic.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, no actually. I'm older than that.

"Totally innocuous" in what way? Making cracks about Jewish people being greedy, Arabs wearing towels on their heads, etc?

20. Captain Tracy

Really? Then you should be able to compare and contrast the pre-1990 and post 1990 cultural paradigm shift, and answer your question for yourself. The good and bad in both, is very evident.

Absolutely not! - Using the people you cited in your question - A crack about how cheap the towels are in the company washroom,.. and both guys in your example run down to HR crying,.. one claiming you made a remark as crack about Arabs aimed at him, and the other claiming your remark was aimed at him because he is Jewish.

I am talking about people who are so hypersensitive and paranoid, that if someone sneezes - "A-CHOO" - in their conditioned state, will patently swear you called them a "A JEW" as a slur,.. or,.. ask the fellow next to you at the sink station in an employee bathroom - who is nearest the dispenser - if he wouldn't mind handing you a towel,.. and he runs out screaming to the HR dept, that you purposely singled him out in front of the other men, to make fun of his Arabic culture.

Happens everywhere,.. even on here.

It is all just so sad,.. and it's the preamble, via social conditioning, to the eventual institution of the "Orwellian Thought Police"