New Comics based on Dark Crystal, The Storyteller and Fraggle Rock

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 31, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just found out yesterday while looking around on the Muppet wiki, that the comic publisher Archaia Studios Press, has gotten the rights to some of the Jim Henson's stuff, including The Dark Crystal, The Storyteller, MirrorMask, Fraggle Rock, and an unproduced script called The Tale of Sand.
    So far they've done 2 3 issue Fraggle Rock miniseries, and one stand alone. I haven't read any of them yet, since I 've only seen one episode of the show, but I plan to once I've seen more.
    Here's a description from their managing editor Tim Beedle:
    They're next release is The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, a three issue graphic novel series that covers the entire history of Thra (the world on which the movie is set) from it's creation all the way through to the beginning of the movie. Brian Froud, who worked with Jim Henson as the concept designer on the original movie is writing the plot, designing the characters and providing art direction. They have a free preview for it up on Archaia's official site. The first book is being released November 22. Here's an official description
    That is followed by The Storyteller, which appears to be a one off, I'm not sure. Here's a list of the stories
    The last one in the list is based on an unproduced scrip from Anthonly Minghella, who wrote every episode of the original series. Here's a free preview. It's being released on November 22 also.
    The last one (so far at least) is The Tale of Sand, which is based on an unproduced screenplay written by Jim Henson, and Jerry Juhl.
    Here's the description from the official Archaia website:
    and a free preview. This one is being released on December 6.
    I'm a huge Henson fan, so I'm really looking forward to all of these.