Crazily shaped assignment patches

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Captain Jed R., Oct 26, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gotta wonder whether some fan somewhere has concocted an in-universe rationalization for this little gem from The Way to Eden. Perhaps the atmosphere of Eden creates mirror-reversed lens effects every now and then. :p

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about that mid-episode switch to an alternate universe in "Charlie X"? Kirk enters the turbolift in his gold uniform shirt, then we switch to an AU when he arrives on the bridge in his green wraparound.

3. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since the subject of odd uniform patches has come up, what of these from the Dagger of the Mind Tantalus colony?
    [​IMG]

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The same uniform patch was worn by Governor Cory in "Whom Gods Destroy." We can assume that the rather odd logo is a symbol of Starfleet's mental health services. As to the logo's meaning, well, who wants to take a crack at it?

5. CorporalCaptain

I invoke Zen. :lol:

We also shouldn't forget the seashell-patch worn by Commander Hansen and Lieutenant Harold.

6. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Doves are usually symbols of peace and hope. The hand reaches up for it towards the sun, a symbol of life. So, strive to hope and heal.

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm. I never picked on up any indications that the penal colony was part of Starfleet.

I always took it that the hand was holding the bird, presumably releasing it to fly toward the sun. But it could also be interpreted as catching the bird and stopping it from flying to the sun. Kind of ambiguous.

8. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps it is throwing the bird into the sun to free it of madness like the Denevans.

9. LMFAOschwarz

I like that one! :guffaw:

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

One of the earliest inmates on Elba II was this guy who used to go on and on about the time his small scoutship was captured by a giant hand while orbiting Pollux IV. He was obviously crazy, but the doctors liked the imagery.

11. CorporalCaptain

That's a good one. :lol:

OK, I'm ready for my stab at it:

"We won't let you go free, because people who think they can fly are obviously crazy, but we'll make sure your cell has a window with a nice view."

12. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"God, these mosquitoes are big on Tantalus. Kill them in the sunlight! Squash them in your fingers!"

Sorry, that's the best I could come up with in 30 seconds...

13. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Some really great suggestions! Although the Pollux IV one is my favorite. :lol:

It does look like the bird is actually trying to fly (in)to the sun. The "helping hand" assures that he doesn't do so and hurt himself.

Bob

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Crush tiny birds in sunlight"

15. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The sun? I always thought it was the Neural Neutralizer's radial emitter.

16. LMFAOschwarz

[​IMG]

I thought about that too, Zap, but I thought it'd be reaching. But it would suggest a bird help in flight under its' influence, i.e. "stabilizing" it!

17. CorporalCaptain

OMG, you guys are freaking me out!

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The bird is actually a gigantic space-bird that's about to devour the sun. The hand is from the perspective of a crazy person on one of the sun's planets, who's pretending to squeeze the sun-devouring bird between his fingers.

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

:rofl: I see, so the hand protects the bird from getting too close to it: "no children or animals were harmed in testing the Neural Neutralizer".

Just tells us how big the American Humane Association got by the 23rd Century.

Bob

20. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's clear now that the emblem was meant to be the sun, and the helping hand of space psychiatry is freeing the bird of mental health.

I'm just saying, on the old standard def CRT TVs I grew up watching, it really looked like the emitter. So much so that I think it was meant to, as the visual equivalent of dialog with a double meaning. Or it could be accidental.