Fallout: New Vegas

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Servo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's the teaser trailer for the new Fallout game, under development by Obsidian, not Bethesda, and is slated for a Fall release this year...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZQPmDye5xA[/yt]

And some bits of info regarding what to expect from the game, from http://www.nma-fallout.com...

2. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

It's sounding really good. I'm a sucker for the Fallout universe and I have been for 13 years now, I'll take any opportunity to revisit it...Very much looking forward to this game, it seems very much in the spirit of Fallout 2.

3. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I'm going to be cautious about this one. I still remember what Obsidian did to kotor....

4. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really looking forward to this, the trailer looks nice and colorful, which should make a nice contrast to FO3. I'm very curious how much of the game will take place in vegas, which looks relatively built up, and how much takes place in the dessert surrounding vegas.

Can't wait till we get to see the latest screenshots, I'm much more excited for this than Alpha Protocol, which looks... bland.

5. SlaveOfSeven

SlaveOfSeven Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking pretty good so far. I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot, but the dialogue was often quite abysmal (the stupidity of some of the "intelligent" options was particularly irksome), so things will certainly be improved on that front.

6. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They took an average BioWare concept and made it better? ;)

7. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

If by better you mean hacked and mutilated than sure :p

8. firehawk12

Of course, I mean interesting story and characters. ;)

9. The Evil Dead

To be fair to Obsidian, KOTOR 2 was made in a year and was pretty good despite a very rushed final sequence and we've known about New Vegas since shortly after Fallout 3 first came out and they have another 6 months to work on it still.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Obsidian also improved on another BioWare game in Neverwinter Nights 2.

I'd still put KotOR 1 over KotOR 2, though, but Obsidian gets a lot of unfair flack for that. Maybe if LucasArts hadn't rushed them so much and let them actually finish the game, it wouldn't have the unfair reputation it has.

11. firehawk12

Story wise, KoTOR2 trumps KoTOR1. Hell, now that I think about it, as "the dark middle chapter of a SF trilogy", KoTOR2 trumps ME2.

And maybe I played it on PC and never had any problems, but I don't associate the game with bugs and crashes. The unfinished ending, yeah, but even with what's there? It feels like a much more complete experience than the BioWare games I've played since KoTOR1.

And you know what? There's every indication that New Vegas will be ten times the game - again, in terms of story - than Fallout 3.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

After owning KotOR for several years and after three attempts to play it, I've only now, this week finally gotten off that first planet. So far I have to say I don't get what all the fuss is about, though I suppose it doesn't help that I hate the combat system. Seriously. I feel like a total non-participant.

Example of a typical battle: -

*Click* shoot at that guy! *miss* *miss* *miss* you missed! how could you miss he's standing right there?!

I've just now finally got my hands on a lightsaber and I'm not impressed. Me and my squad keep getting killed by a bunch of animals and my character keeps missing them...with a lightsaber...at point blank range!!! I have half a mind to install Jedi Outcast, punch in the dismemberment cheat and show KoTOR what using a lightsaber should be like. ;)

13. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

haha i suppose thats the downside of playing a turn-based RPG

14. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Sounds good. Will the playing area be as large as FO3 and will the game be just as long with many side missions and quests?

15. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fallout: New Vegas to offer hundreds of hours of exploration; more details

Interesting.

16. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's the point then? The coolest thing about Fallout 3 were the ruins of D.C.
    How am I supposed to feel apropriately postapocalyptic if the damn town is fine?

I mean, that trailer says it all. The camera pans back to reveal:
    A bright shining and colorful city skyline.
    How...anti-climatic.

17. The Evil Dead

New Reno was similarly fine in Fallout 2, so there is a precedent for it in the Fallout universe.

18. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And if I had played Fallout 2, I wouldn't have liked New Reno either.
    I just prefer my postapocalyptic worlds to, y'know, actually look postapocalytic.

That's what Fallout 3 excelled at.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You don't need nuclear blasted rubble and twisted metal for a setting to be post apocalyptic. A certain amount of dilapidation and a lawless culture should work just as well. In a way that sort of ghost town feel has it's own advantages for setting a mood and visual style. Think '28 Days Later', 'The Stand' or 'I Am Legend' rather than the Mad Max or Terminator films.

20. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I figure in a real nuke war Las Vegas wont be high on the target list.