Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know this isn't the Voyager forum, but I actually like that idea he had for Voyager. It's a story about survival, and maybe getting home, but what is it like to watch a federation being built from the ground up, and how do you maintain it. That would be a great series, and we would see some new ideas for the Star Trek franchise.

Again, FrontierTrek, thank you for these interviews. They are amazing, and you rock for doing them. :)

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Just to be fair here--though Voyager is my least favorite Trek show--the "cut off from home" premise was meant to make the exploration feel more like early TOS. However, you can never have that premise with a working starship, as presented in Star Trek. Firstly, you are in the galaxy, not limited by the resources of one planet, and equipped with a warp drive to access it all. Secondly, as long as you have raw material or even certain molecules, you can create anything with a replicator! Thirdly, the worst factor would not be survival but human frailty...psychological effects of space and conflict, missing loved ones, etc. But even here you have holodecks for therapy, counselors, and let's not forget, some very effective UFP ideology and training, for a crew that were mostly officers. Yes, these people are not the dim-bulbs from NuBSG who try to settle on planets when they should be running from the enemy. Ideology is what can make the impossible possible, as with the communists in Vietnam, bombing builldings with airplanes, or sending men to the moon.

3. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

[​IMG]

4. tomalak301

Wow. I'm not sure how to say this without being rude, but seeing this picture (A good looking picture by the way) makes me feel old.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's been over 20 years.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Granted, but you would still expect a Captain to try to conserve energy and resources in a situation like that, and not let the crew waste it on so many silly Holodeck adventures. And having the ship survive countless Kazon and Borg(!) attacks with no lasting repurcussions or damage strained credibility to the breaking point as well.

Hell, even after a minor skirmish Picard would usually set course for the nearest Starbase at the end of an episode-- and that was for a freakin powerful, Galaxy-class starship! I have to imagine the dinky little Voyager would be in even more dire straights.

I didn't need VOY to be perfectly realistic or anything, but the show barely even tried to take it's premise seriously.

7. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

There are two types of shows: Procedural vs. Serialized.

* Procedural or episodic shows are stand alone episodes. There may be arcs that connect shows. These shows have a built-in reset button which sets the show back to default. Most of Star Trek has been of this type.

* Serialized shows are a chain of connected episodes. There is no reset button. Storylines, characters, and, sometimes, settings change over the course of the series. Enterprise experimented with serialization in its third season.

http://seriable.com/serialized-vs-procedural-television-series/

The premise of Voyager was best suited for serialization; however, the show was done as a procedural.

8. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, I do hope that those features make it onto a season set. I am not going to be parting with my cash twice no matter how good the VAM. That doesn't mean I don't want to see the VAM though!

Makes me feel old too but I can only hope I look as good when I reach her age. :drool:

9. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. She looks pretty good to me.

11. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Kinda how I's imagine Bernadette from "Big Bang Theory" looking when she gets older.

12. PaulMarshall

PaulMarshall Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I can't wait... The nanotechnology ep is the first one... And has an even bigger baseball fanatic than captain sisko lol, playing out entire seasons in his head

13. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Agree with you there.

14. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Final part is up folks: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01172013_robmeyerburnett7.html

Burnett's thoughts on a new Trek TV series, new TNG movie, why he'll always be such a crazy fan and Next Gen's Season 2 remastering.

Thanks for everyone's awesome comments - Rob was an absolute joy to talk to, and the feedback has been amazing :)

15. tomalak301

You talked to him for 3 HOURS? Man, Trekcore is really becoming the go to destination for exclusives and stuff like that. You've done a great job growing the site and making it a powerhouse.

16. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We actually talked for longer - there's a whole new part on "Free Enterprise" coming, but the 7-part feature you see was 3 hours!

I'm grateful for the wonderful feedback, it's great motivation to keep going. Not always easy when things have developed so fast and I have such limited resources.

Oh - and I just wrapped an awesome 90 minute interview with Roger Lay, Jr. on Monday with some fantastic information about the upcoming TNG and Enterprise Blu-Ray releases. Watch out for it next week!

17. tomalak301

Well, if there is any more motivation, I've added your RSS feed to my bookmark toolbar. You know at least one person is reading. ;)

18. tomalak301

Just looked on her page at Memory Alpha, she's only 52. Man she was a lot younger than she looked back then. Looking good for 52.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping that he means there will be more CGI wrecked starships from Wolf 359 in addition to the models we saw, but that's probably not what he means. :sigh:

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, it IS kind of fun to look up what some of these guest stars look like now, after watching these episodes again.

Whether it's Riva from Loud as a Whisper or the girl from Coming of Age.