Is TOS really part of Trek Canon?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by YARN, Aug 27, 2010.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Just take the additional small step of changing the names of the movie title, the ship and the characters ... poof, an actual fresh start.

or you could just retread off of others works

Bald Shinzon in big Romulan ship ... Bald Nero in big Romulan ship
    Picard rams big Romulan ship ......George rams big Romulan ship
    Luke Skywalker flys into trench ... nuKirk drive into gully
    Real Kirk and Kobayashi Maru ... nuKirk and Kobayashi Maru
    Real Kirk bites apple .................. nukirk bites apple
    Real Kirk screw alien chick ........ nuKirk copies actions
    Khan loses wife seeks revenge ... Nero loses wife seeks revenge
    Ceti eels in ears .......................... Ceti eels in ear

But I'm sorry, you were talking about "FRESH."

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

rumble rumble (lightning crackles!) rumble rumble

LOOK, IF YOU CLOWNS ARE GOING TO CALL ME BACK FROM THE DEAD AND THEN NOT EVEN TALK TO ME, THEN I'LL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT'S HAPPENED TO STAR TREK WITHOUT YOU.

MAJEL! MAJEL! What? Oh, crap.

Okay, let's see. Next Generation ran a few years... good... Generations... what? Kirk died? HOW? And they didn't resurrect him? Priceline? What?

Moving on... Deep Space Nine... huh? It wasn't set on a ship? But it had Worf? Never mind, I don't want to know.

Okay then, moving on... Voyager? Other side of the galaxy? Now we're talking! Borg? Seven of what? She looked like what? YOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enterprise? Temporal cold what? The Vulcans are all arrogant jerks? Who from Quantum Leap? Never mind, I don't want to know.

New movie? JJ who? The only JJ Abrams I ever heard of was the writer on "Regarding Henry."

Captain Kirk did what? Spock and Uhura? The engine room looks like what? Never mind, I don't want to know.

Just... never mind. And don't EVER CALL ME BACKFROM THE DEAD FOR THIS KIND OF @#$% AGAIN!!!!

rumble rumble (lightning crackles!) rumble rumble

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

That's all. I don't even want to vent.

4. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

For real?

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Well, there's no accounting for the general public's taste. You'd have to pay me to sit through Mall Cop.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

A lot of it came out when ENT debuted, but I can recall a few folks saying TOS should be removed from canon when TNG was on the air...

The problem with removing things from canon simply because they were made earlier is that it's a fate that befalls every production. So TNG should be next, followed by DS9, VOY, and ENT. Ultimately, Star Trek XI will be removed from canon when Star Trek XII is released.

The alternative of simply letting things be doesn't seem to be an option...

7. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

No wonder the TOS purists are so touchy...

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

ONLY Trek TOS and movies 1 through 6 are canon. Except for number 5, which I think of as Shatner's mushroom hallucination. Everything else is, well, something else. Not Star Trek.

I thus proclaim it, therefore it is so.

9. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Incorrect. The show had a large fanbase years before the movies. In fact the first Star Trek convention was in 1972, 7 years before the first movie. They originally estimated an attendance of only a few hundred, but ended up having several thousand people show up over the 3-day span of the convention. That's hype.

:wtf:

Being the original show, TOS defined what "Trek" is. So by definition, TOS is pure "Trek". That's just common sense.

It's fine to have such opinions and criticisms. But those opinions don't change the simple fact that TOS is 100% Trek.

10. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

I dislike TOS, but it's still canon for me. However, if one of the Trek series seems to be a part of a separate continuity, it's TOS, specifically because of the '60s gender roles and hairstyles.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:crazy: ... :wtf: ... :rofl: ... :guffaw: ... :barf: ... :shrug:

I didn't say a word.

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

QFT

13. George

George Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, those people include me.

14. George

George Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, but because TOS was crap and the other shows were miles better, they are what I base my defination of Trek on, which is why for me, TOS isn't Trek.

Depends who defines what Trek is, and since everyone can define that for themselves it isn't Trek for me.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

canon star trek is any show or film with star trek in the name. even bad stuff that you don't like.

16. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Little Joey has his first ice cream. It is chocolate flavored, and he does not like it. Later, he tries strawberry ice cream, and he LOVES it. Little Joey also enjoys the neapolitan he tries. He gives butter pecan a try, and he thinks it is OK. But he does not like chocolate. As a matter of fact, when offered it, he loudly states that this is NOT ice cream. It can not be ice cream and he refuses to accept that it is ice cream.... and it seems like he REALLY believes chocolate flavored ice cream is not ice cream!

Is Little Joey just putting on that "cute" (slightly annoying), little-kid behavior meant to get some attention, or does Joey need to be taken to get some professional counseling to deal with his detachment from reality?

Because it is ALL ICE CREAM. It IS right there in the name.

(and no, there is no sherbet, no gelato in this story....)

I am relieved to hear comments from posters that indicate that they think some of these discussions seem as ridiculous to them as they seem to me. :lol:

If you don't like something, just say so. That is fine! Just don't be sayin' something isn't what it is. If you need assistance, some Zappa may help. Take only as directed....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Little Joey is obviously a spoiled brat and will be a sociopath when he gets older. :guffaw:

It bothers me when someone calls Star Trek crap who obviously hasn't seen it.

For those who think Trek became popular with the films, you're way off base. The films were made because of how popular Trek became in strip syndication in the 70's.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, offended Trekkies trying to get personal again. :guffaw:

19. Delta1

Delta1 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some of the early Christians tried to remove the Hebrew Torah from the canon. They felt that the vengeful YHWH of The Original Scriptures was inconsistent with later versions of God portrayed by Jesus. There were also clear continuity problems introduced when the henotheistic Hebrews became the monotheistic Jews. Most embarrassingly, all the moral parts of TOS had a backward, nomadic flavor that was kind of cheesy to the modern, cosmopolitan reader. It was easier, these early Christians claimed, to strike the offensive older material from the canon and stick with what was newer and more relevant.

All of these people were proclaimed heretics and tortured to death. The canon remained unaltered.

20. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Well, I'm either behind the times or you're ahead of the curve. I thought you're position was another year or two down the road.

I thought this thread would be a cautionary tale (for TOS Canonistas) or a winking reductio ad absurdum for others who are annoyed by the politics of exclusion.