LEGO to Make a ‘Doctor Who’ Themed Set

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Feb 5, 2015.

1. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I wonder if they'll get the surviving actors to voice the other Doctors, too. Not sure if Tom Baker or John Hurt would do it (they might, though with Hurt's illness....)

I have no game consoles so I won't be playing this game. But once it comes out I'll be eagerly awaiting gameplay videos. It looks darn cool.

Some guy on Youtube already created some unofficial "Lego style" game videos with the 11th Doctor and Jake Dunham doing his Matt Smith impersonation providing the voice. But I'm sure the real thing will be pretty epic.

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The TARDIS will also change appearance based on which Doctor you're playing and there's a jukebox inside it that lets you play all the versions of the theme tune.

If it wasn't so insanely and unjustifiably expensive I'd be all over this.

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The level from the trailer is in the main game, a second level will be released as a separate pack. To drop the Doctor Who characters into other worlds you have to buy their separate pack(s). So if they do one for each Doctor that'll set you back £180. And then there'll be all the Companion packs. And monster packs...

Like Skylanders, Disney Infinity and Amiibo it's all about gouging vasts amounts of money out of parents and adult collectors.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  4. sttngfan1701d

Yeah...$130 total for the game plus the Doctor Who pack? That's damn steep.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I really doubt they'll devote this much focus on the Doctor Who lego brand. There's other brands to exploit.....er.. focus on

[​IMG]

Capaldi's The Thick of It quotes comes back to bite him
    "Lego..they're all made of f*cking lego..."

[​IMG]

Also Louie Moffat(Steven's son) plays the game

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdbSznJeogs[/YT]

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why is the Tenth Doctor and Rose in the current TARDIS?

7. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Because...

...Timey-whimy stuff.

8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKYuSzhKLGY[/yt]

So...much...AWESOME...

9. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

The Lego toys have had a series of popular video games (Although at this point there's so many they've become a bit tired since they largely use the same gameplay basics and are super-easy), and the Skylanders/Infinity/Amibo stuff is pretty popular right now, even though as mentioned it's pretty expensive. I wonder if we'll ever get a full Doctor Who lego game at some point? It'd be nice to have a decent Doctor Who game after so many mediocre ones, even if it's just sticking to the tired formula. The early games however were mostly silent and had a bunch of slapstick, the last couple have had full voice acting which some say it hurts the charm.

Basically the concept for Dimensions and similar stuff is, you buy the hardware add-on for whatever game system, put the 'toy' on it, and you can control the 'toy' in the game.

There was line of Doctor Who mini figures from Character Options, but unfortunately like the figure line itself, that seems to have kind of died off.

10. sttngfan1701d

....Can that woman NOT take a cute picture for once?

You'd expect that she'd pose with her own Clara minifigure, but I have to agree that the 12th Doctor figure is kinda hilariously adorable. They got it right on with the hair and eyebrows.:lol:

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

:eek::eek::eek::eek:, for not even the entire game, and i thought season passes were priced too high. lol

12. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Are the Doctor Who packs for the game available for pre-order yet? I've searched on Amazon under "Doctor Who Lego" but haven't been able to find anything. :(

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The Doctor Who level pack and the Cybermen pack.

14. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Aw, bless you, sir!

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So how does this LEGO Dimensions thing work? Do you buy the Dr Who mini-figs, and they simply unlock exclusive content in the game? Or does it involve downloading ''add-on packs''?

I'm vaguely aware of the likes of Amiibos and the Disney Infinity thing letting you play as different characters with different abilities, but it's more stuff like add-on levels I'm enquiring about. Is it only the figs that are needed to unlock that stuff? And is it cross-platform, ie I've got a WiiU but the mini-figs will work with it? :confused:

17. Allyn Gibson

The way I understand it, if you buy the expansion packs (say, Doctor Who or Back to the Future), the minifigs or vehicles that come in those LEGO Dimensions expansions will be available to you in the game when you place the built minifig/vehicle in the LEGO Portal you build from the main game release. The Portal will know what you have (or are supposed to have) based on the RFI chip in the Dimensions expansion.

If you attached the LEGO minifig to, say, the LEGO Death Star, you won't get the Death Star in the game; the game only knows what the RFI chip in the LEGO Dimensions minifig/vehicle is supposed to be. In other words, LEGO Dimensions (the game) won't work with your other LEGO sets to bring them into the world of the game. You could use your LEGOs to trick out the LEGO Dimensions vehicles/minifigs, but that would strictly be an aesthetic thing for you at home; it won't have any effect upon the game.

Also, the only platform-specific part is the main game which comes with the buildable Portal. The expansions are not platform-specific.

Does this make sense?

18. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The articles I've seen use the word "unlock", so I assume that's the case. You unlock content by placing the minifigs included in LD packs on the thingamabob seen in this picture. There are currently two DW realted packs: A "Level Pack" that includes a new level plus the Doctor, K9 and the TARDIS, and a "Fun Pack" which includes a Dalek and a playable Cyberman.

The Lego Dimensions packs contain all you need to unlock the add-on content, yes.

Yes, the LD packs work with all platform versions of the game.

Keep in mind that if you decide to go for it you'll be spending quite a bit of money. The Starter Pack alone costs $100, $30 for each Level Pack (level + character + vehicle/gadget), $15 for each Fun Pack (character + vehicle/gadget), and $25 for each Team Pack (like Fun Packs, but with more stuff and characters have unique abilities), though there are no DW Team Packs announced at the moment.

ETA: NM, Allyn Gibson beat me to it.

19. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Allyn Gibson and Chris3123, that makes it a lot clearer to me. :techman: I might be very tempted to pick these up if I can scrape together enough cash, lol. :D :)

20. Allyn Gibson

LEGO has up a blog post with pictures of the Doctor Who set. It's the TARDIS exterior, console room, and Daleks, along with minifigs of the eleventh Doctor, twelfth Doctor, Clara, and a Weeping Angel.