FLASH series being developed for The CW

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wally married a Korean American. The franchise has nothing to prove.

HA!

I have never really seen her full married name bared out before me before.

Linda Park-West.

(It's not that funny, but her last name is a location and might as well be a train station. :) )

If Barry is time travelling he could paradox Shado back to life?

Cheshire has babies with Roy Speedy Harper.

Lady Shiva is a member of the league of Assasins.

Again if Barry is Time Travelling, he could come back form the future with Connor Hawke... Oliver's son.

Oh goodness, a love connection between Conner and Shado... They would so have to live happily ever after in the future.

Did the kid Shado had with Olver ever turn up?

(Barely)

http://www.comicvine.com/robert-tomonago/4005-70092/

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Let's hope it's better!

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Agreed. I loved the 90s show but it definitely could have been better.

4. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Say what? The '90's show kicked ass, IMHO. And it was better then Lois & Clark.

5. Savage Dragon

Like I said, I loved it but that doesn't mean there wasn't room for improvement.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Barry and Tina should have got together.

Their "will they, won't they" was great, but the cancellation can't have been such a surprise that something drunk and...

I don't think 90s TV Barry can get Drunk?

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Most Mexican telenovelas are better than Lois & Clark. :shifty:

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The '90s Flash had a lot going for it, but was very inconsistent in tone. At first, it was trying too hard to be serious and grim, in the vein of the Burton Batman, and the network didn't want the show to use supervillains. But by late in the season, they were free to use supervillains, but they'd embraced camp to an almost Adam-Westian degree. The show was best in the middle part of the season when it was in a comfortable middle ground between those extremes.

As for Lois and Clark, it had three distinct phases with very different approaches. The first season stressed the romantic comedy and characters to a degree that I think worked well, but underplayed the superheroics too much. The second season tried to balance the action and romance more, sometimes to the detriment of the latter, but I think it worked pretty well overall, aside from replacing the really cool Michael Landes version of Jimmy Olsen with the dreadfully boring Justin Whalen version. But seasons 3 & 4 were in the hands of new producers that, I felt, didn't respect the material and made it a dumb, goofy farce.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Burton's Batman, The Flash and Lois & Clark could have taken place in the same universe.

10. Lawrence B

Lawrence B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of the 90's Flash, John Wesley Shipp will have a recurring role in the new series:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/flash-john-wesley-shipp-flash-pilot-1201098664/

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Maybe he'll be Jay Garrick.

12. Agent Richard07

Not surprising, but great news none the less.

How long 'til they get Amanda Pays and Alex Désert onboard?

13. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome.

Random thought: Jay Garrick?

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And in a nod to the Golden Age Flash, on the show Jay Garrick will be an FTD florist....

15. Christopher

I'm not sure how you fit L&C in there, since it didn't have the blend of '40s Art Deco and modernity that the other two had.

Personally I believe that The Flash takes place in the DC Animated Universe, the same reality as Batman:TAS, Superman:TAS, Justice League, etc. It shares the retro-modern aesthetic of B:TAS, and its version of the Trickster shows up in Justice League Unlimited's "Flash and Substance." Also, it had music by Shirley Walker, and her Flash motif from the series is revived in S:TAS's Flash episode "Speed Demons."

True, there are a couple of inconsistencies in that theory, like the scene where Barry walks his dog past posters for Superman and Batman movies, predating Superman's public debut in the DCAU by several years. But there are similar inconsistencies within the DCAU. An early Static Shock episode, from before it was retroactively merged into the DCAU, has its main characters referring to Clark Kent as Superman's secret identity, as if he were a fictional character. And a Superman: TAS episode has Lois allude facetiously to Wonder Woman, years before Diana of Themyscira dons that identity in Justice League. So if those continuity glitches aren't dealbreakers, neither is this one.

16. Agent Richard07

Lois & Clark does kind of have the same style. Maybe it's the WB lot that does it. Besides, Metropolis is often portrayed as brighter and less gothic than Gotham, so I don't think there's necessarily a conflict. And on top of that, we saw the Burton Batmobile in Lois & Clark, presumably stolen from Batman. ;)

I could see a connection but always dismissed it because one show is live-action and the others are animated. Mark Hamill as the Trickster in both was a nice touch though.

Ah! Didn't know that The Flash had Superman and Batman posters. That kind of kills it. Awfully generous of you to let that go.

17. Christopher

Well, I guess the DCAU had a similar difference in design between Gotham and Metropolis. Still, I don't see that much similarity in style.

I don't see why that should be a dealbreaker. Several live-action franchises have had animated continuations that are meant to be in the same reality -- Star Trek: TAS, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Godzilla: The Series, etc. Doctor Who has a couple of canonical animated installments, The Infinite Quest and Dreamland (the latter of which had a sequel in The Sarah Jane Adventures). The Batman: Gotham Knight anime anthology is meant to be in the Nolan Batman continuity. There are even rare cases of animated franchises spawning in-continuity live-action continuations, like Ben 10 (although the first live-action movie was later retconned as an alternate timeline -- but still part of the overall multiverse) and Code Lyoko.

But it wasn't just Hamill playing the role, it was the same version of the character -- same costume, same mentally ill characterization (a little tamer, but that's because he'd been on antipsychotic meds for years by that point.)

My point is that there are equivalent contradiction in other DCAU productions, and those contradictions have been glossed over by the producers and fanbase alike in order to keep up the pretense that Static Shock, S:TAS, and JL are in the same reality. So if the others can be glossed over, so can this one. It would be a double standard to say otherwise.

Of course, the '90 Flash features Barry Allen and the DCAU features Wally West, but Barry passed on the mantle to Wally in the comics, so there's no reason he couldn't have done the same in that reality.

18. Savage Dragon

Saw that this morning on my facebokk feed from SHH. Fantastic new!

I think we are all hoping for that.

It would be great to get both those actors on-board for guest spots too. I am officially getting very excited for this show!

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

IGN's writer also say "please be Jar Garrick" in his article, so that seems to be the popular theory/desire right now.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I just want to see that Mercury helmet.