Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Minecraft 1.0 is released!

(But you can't play it, because minecraft.net is down. :p)

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just downloaded it, it just took a dozen or so clicks of the 'Retry' button. That was to be expected though, with a million or so people trying to download at once.

Anyway, happy release day everyone. We're an official game now! :)

3. TheGodBen

That's right, us fans are now slightly less hipsterish. ;)

I spawned a new world to test it, found a huge snow biome. I wont be playing it much for a while though, I've got Byzantines that need hook-blading in Assassin's Creed Revelations.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I started a new world and played for a while. I noticed some of the new touches--yet more new chest sounds, the breaking of tools, the dripping water. Haven't noticed any actual changes to the game mechanics yet. I did notice shift-clicking doesn't move things to/from chests anymore. :mad:

Something else is that coal and iron are a lot more common, from what I can tell.

Keep in mind I didn't really play the 1.9pre versions, so this is all new to me. :)

5. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Ok, just updated it and now I have some greyish-dark green grass nearby in one of my newer worlds. :wtf: Anyone else seen that?

[edit]
    Oh, it might be for a swamp biome thing as the trees nearby have the same thing going on.

6. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, that sounds like biome coloring to me.

7. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I probably won't be playing it until the server's updated. There's nothing new that I'm absolutely dying to try that can't wait until the server's back up.

8. TheGodBen

It changes the colour of the water as well. Sadly, my main base in SSP has now become a hideous swamp when it used to be a nice vibrant green. I'm thinking of throwing some vines up and abandoning the place, pretend it was ruined in some horrible catastrophe.

9. Cutter John

I seem to have run into a problem with my texture pack. Everything seems to load okay except the water texture, which for some reason seems to be stubbornly remaining in the default texture. I've no idea whats going wrong as its always worked in the past. This is going to require more research. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it thus far. Though I forgot how lonely single player feels.

Oh, and the History of Minecraft vid they used to open Minecon has turned up on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1iJoNiMrE&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As a note, the seed "Barg's root beer" produces a good unique map in 1.0

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Minecraft really needs an internal texturepack and mod browser. I HATE having to use those download sites to download what I need everytime. They tend to be like minefields. I can't even download my favourite one because of that.

12. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I just google it and see if it turns up a link on the minecraft forums.

13. Cutter John

I just keep all my textures in a directory, then after an update drag and drop them manually into the jar using Winzip. Takes about a half hour.

Which is why I don't bother with the pre-releases.

14. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I know. I do that too, but it seems every modder uses those file hosting services, so you can never have a direct link as the download link is hidden by whatever service they use. I just wish there'd be an internal mod and texturepack updater, so that when you have your texture pack selected, it updates it when there's a new update.

Anyway, one of the first things I noticed about 1.0? Moon phases! We have moon phases, baby! I wonder if this means the wolves will howl at the moon when it's a full moon :lol: Werewolves can't be too far behind, can they? In fact, it would be rather neat if they turned into werewolves at night. They're pretty useless as it is, so I'd rather see them do something interesting like that.

15. Owain Taggart

Making progress on the Titanic. It's slow, but then I'm also working slowly on it so that I don't get burned out on it. It's big enough that it shows up in the unzoomed c10t map. Last night I finished the floor. Many more of these to come.

[​IMG]

16. Robert Maxwell

Holy crap. That's a lot of wood.

17. Owain Taggart

Yeah, lots of deforestation in progress. But I always plant new trees to replace them so that I don't have to go very far.

Ok, has anyone had any success with Modloader? There's a minimap mod that I want to use, but I can't seem to get it to work. The problem is that my minecraft.jar doesn't have a META.INF file it wants you to delete, and when I start up Minecraft, the minimap doesn't show up, plus grass sides appear all grey when using Modloader likely because it wasn't installed properly.

I've done a bit of experimenting by letting Minecraft redownload the bin files, which then does have that file, yet it still doesn't work.

Oh, nevermind. Bypassed Modloader completely by inserting the files into the minecraft jar directly and it works perfectly now.

It's Rei's Minimap mod btw. Pretty awesome minimap:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/482147-100b181b19pre5nov21-reis-minimap-v28/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  18. Cutter John

Built a small magic room under my tree and enchanted one of my diamond swords (Bane of Arachnids Level 1! WooHoo!) :rolleyes:

Next goal is to head down into the Nether, find a castle, and grab myself a blaze rod so I can start brewing potions. So far though its pretty empy. During my one trip down I couldn't even find a Ghast. I guess it takes time for them to respawn.

19. Robert Maxwell

I ran across a magma cube a couple days ago. Scared the shit out of me as I hadn't seen one before. No blazes yet, though.

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I had to take a long break on the Yamato. It is mind-bogglingly huge and I ran out of resources several times and I spent way too much time carving out a harbor instead of working on the ship. I'll have to get back to it at some point. You're a bit farther along than I am with the keel.