Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TK421, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Opus Penguin

Opus Penguin Cadet Newbie

I wrote to try and audition to be in one of their episodes as I live in Austin. I was never contacted so I guess they were not hurting that bad for help.

2. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

If it's like any production I've ever been involved with, then the need for off-camera help is vastly greater than the need for actors.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too true.

4. Mallory

I was born without the artistic gene, but I like to think that even go-fers contribute to the production. And God knows, I pulled that gig way too many times in my 20s. :lol:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

There are a few jobs that everybody wants to do, and there's no one as valuable as the person who's willing to do whatever needs to be done.

6. Opus Penguin

Opus Penguin Cadet Newbie

Well at the time they were asking for people interested in acting in it so that was why I wrote them. I expected a "We have who we need" response but didn't get anything. I probably would have been willing to work crew as well as I have worked behind the scenes in a TV production before, but I just didn't get any response which I was surprised at.

7. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Not to speak for anyone involved in the Exeter production, but I suspect they got an overwhelming number of responses. Sorting through a large number of responses is a big job in itself. Everyone starts out with the idea that they're going to respond to every inquiry, but it's a very difficult thing to do.

If you're just starting out, you might want to consider auditoning for an audio drama. There are plenty of those around and while there is competition, you might stand a better chance of getting a foot in the door that way, especially if you don't have a professional background to make you stand out early.

If you're interested in audio dramas, otrtalk.com is a great place to find links to a large number of audio productions. misfitsaudio.com is another place where you might be able to gain some valuable experience.

Best of luck!

8. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dennis, You saw my posted review of Exeter: TSI. I had a few stills in it and they have disappeared. Did I break some kind of rule? I posted a similar review of TSI on another board and the whole thread disappeared with no explanation given. Have I done something wrong? Or do some boards just not like Exeter?

Confused,
    Ken

9. Admiral Buzzkill

If you mean your review of "The Tressaurian Intersection" a few posts back, I still see the stills. Do you maybe have a firewall problem? Sometimes when I'm someplace where the image host for something can't be reached the images appear as "X"s but other times they simply don't appear at all.

What was the other board you posted on?

10. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks Dennis. I don't know. Something weird is going on. I can now see some of the pics. I can see pics in other people's posts.

Guess it's ok. I put some work into that review and just wanted to post it and hopefully encourage a few people to check out the episode. I bet a lot of people were waiting like I was for it to be finished before viewing it. But it is SUCH a GREAT episode even unfinished, that I would recommend every Trek fan go ahead and watch it now!

Thanks for your reply,
    Ken

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Here's a shot I'm fond of:

[​IMG]

12. Hudson_uk

Hudson_uk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I haven't checked here yet but they dissapeared for me on HF. They WERE showing but then they were not.

13. Mallory

That's just fucking awesome Dennis.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

That's work by Bruce Jensen, Jimm Johnson and Thomas Sasser and possibly one or two more folk.

15. fanfilmfan

fanfilmfan Ensign Red Shirt

Was a model used for the Kongo?

16. Admiral Buzzkill

For the crashed saucer, yep. The rest is a matte, a lot of live-action rotoscoping and other post effects.

17. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a wonderful shot, and the one that convinced me I wasn't watching another minute of the episode until the whole thing was released. And so began years of tormenting poor Dennis from the back seat.

Are we there yet?

18. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

The juxtaposition of your "catchphrase" with the signature is quite amusing.:lol:

19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Best fan film teaser yet. And as fond as I am of Phase II, I'm getting tired of teasers that open with a space battle.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Thanks. That image of the saucer was what we called the "Planet Of The Apes" or "Statue Of Liberty" shot when we came up with the idea; we just put it at the beginning of the show instead of the end. :lol:

Jimm and I just got to talking about "what could we do that they never did on TOS but that they might have done?" that would still fit in to that milieu. This was one of those things.