Most Attractive Male

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Sam_I_Am, Sep 8, 2013.

?

Most attractive TOS male?

1. James Kirk

25 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. Spock

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Leonard McCoy

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Kevin Riley

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Montgomery Scott

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Hikaru Sulu

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  7. Pavel Chekov

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

Well said, Corylea.

He does have beautiful hands.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a teenager I liked Spock's angst, even though I had a life size poster of Kirk on the transporter pad on my bedroom door with the lip part worn out from over use.

I had a friend who was a huge Spock fan and even though we had no internet (because we were pathetically existing in the past, why Tom Paris idolizes such an era I have no idea) I knew that Spock was the hot one for all the tortured introverts out there. In the past you just knew things via osmosis which is what google was built on. And I was a tortured introvert. You can read all about us in David Gerrold's The World of Star Trek which details letters that the studio received from tortured lonely people who related to Star Trek.

And yet the pheromones that are the glorious man-ness of Captain James T. Kirk somehow leeched through my portable black and white tv with its snow and rolling picture and they uhh... FLIPPED a SWITCH in my barely adolescent brain.

I am not kidding here, I blame Captain James T. Kirk for making me a heterosexual.

[​IMG]

3. nureintier

Haha, that must be it; I'm a tortured introvert, so I was more attracted to Spock. I mean, I admit that Kirk was pretty, but I dunno, he just did nothing for me.

I have a life size poster of Spock on the transporter pad. ^_^

4. Corylea

Corylea Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here! I can recognize that Kirk was pretty, but he's just ... not my type. Spock, on the other hand, has been my type for forty years. :)

I mostly like Spock because of who he IS, but I also love his looks. Those amazing cheekbones, those expressive eyes*, those well-shaped lips, those elegant ears and elegantly upswept eyebrows. Pardon me while I go swoon. :luvlove:

I have a poster of Spock bent over the science station on the bridge. :hugegrin:

*For someone who was supposed to be cool and unemotional, Spock had very expressive eyes. For example, during the confrontation with Decker during "The Doomsday Machine," I was sure we were about to hear that there was such a thing as the Vulcan Death Glare. :lol: Mr. Nimoy sure can act.

5. nureintier

^I have a friend who gets mad and corrects me if I so much as suggest that Spock isn't very emotional. But what I usually mean is he doesn't do dumb stuff because of having emotions, like most of the humans do.

I forgot to mention those cheekbones in my post, haha. [*swoons*]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  6. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

I find it very interesting, that women often "connect" most with Spock, when in real life they tend to accuse men of not showing enough feelings and emotions. This is not supposed to be any sexist remark, just my personal observation :)

7. nureintier

I can explain that: I have mild Asperger's and SPD, both of which cause me to not have much emotional affect, and to sort of dislike much display of emotion in other people. Heck, I wish more men in real life were more like Spock.

I'm not suggesting the same is true of anyone else.

Actually, I read a blog on that topic recently, and it suggested a lot of women might like Spock because they see him as a "project" and want to change him, or because it would make them feel special to be with a guy who barely even looks at women most of the time (as in, they'd be the one special person who would cause him to feel all mushy).

I don't feel that way, though; I think Spock is perfect the way he is. I wouldn't want to change him.

Since my friend that yells at me for calling Spock "unemotional" is not on this board, I'll say what he'd say: that Spock displays emotions all the time, just not to the extent that many others do because he can repress them, and in any case, he doesn't do as many stupid things because he's in an overly-emotional state. He certainly gets obviously irritated enough in the series, and that's a feeling. He acts patronizing and often proud of his Vulcan heritage. Compared to someone like Data in TNG, he actually quite emotional.

(Makes me think of a Facebook post I saw recently asking what ST species you are most like, and something like 40% of people chose "Vulcan." There were a lot of comments saying that couldn't possibly be true, or that everybody with autism came out just to vote on that poll.)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  8. Corylea

Well, women aren't all alike, anymore than men are. I'm a therapist in real life, and I see a lot of adults who were physically, sexually, or emotionally abused as children. Most of those women had fathers who expressed plenty of emotion -- it's just that that emotion was all negative.

Spock isn't subject to violent rages, which makes him safe in a way that many human men are not. Women who've been victimized by angry men are often drawn to Spock.

That's not to say that's the only reason why women are drawn to him or even the major one; it's just one that my experience as a therapist has led me to notice. ;)

Like nureintier, I think Spock is perfect the way he is, and like her, I think he had plenty of emotions; it's just that you have to know how to read him. Some of us are happy to study the man in depth and in detail so as to be able to read him. :lol:

9. teacake

If you look at Amanda it's quite possible to have a long and fulfilling relationship with a Vulcan. All the subtleties between them.

There is an element of the tall dark handsome set apart man.. and you are the one able to connect with him. Old cliche.

And let's face it, someday Spock is going to go home with someone and settle down. NO one ever expects this from Kirk.

10. nureintier

Haha, yes.

And if it's possible with her and Sarek, then it's certainly possible with Spock, since he's half human. He's like all the good parts of Vulcans with their mental discipline, etc. plus a bit of human to make him more relatable.

11. teacake

Except is would be REALLY hard to be with someone who rebuffs your comments about what is clearly to you emotional responses on their part with defensiveness.

12. Corylea

The way to beat up a Vulcan is to accuse them of being illogical. All we have to do is tell Spock that it's illogical to deny what is. :lol:

(Not that I would actually do that; he gets enough teasing about his emotions from Kirk and McCoy.) ;)

13. Rayna

Rayna Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That's very true, but it works both ways; It makes the idea of having Kirk all the more exciting. There's intrigue in a fast and furious love affair, in having but never really obtaining someone.

But maybe that's just me ;) haha

14. nureintier

True, but that's why I think it would be best to respond with an eyeroll or something rather than point it out every time.
    :lol: This.

But you could least have that as your secret weapon, if needed.

Understandable.

I think I'd prefer to obtain Spock, though...

15. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spock, no contest. It's the ears. ;)

16. Corylea

17. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

When concerning just looks, Kirk is the most attractive to me, with Kevin Riley at second.
    Kirk is terrible relationship material though.
    I can see the appeal of Spock. Look at the relationship with his parents to see how Sarek clearly has a close bond with Amanda. I'd think that would be the kind of relationship Spock could have. He does have that vibe that makes it seem like you'd be the only person he'd express himself to.
    Now for me, McCoy is the best husband material. He seems like he'd make a fantastic husband.

18. teacake

Good thing no one but really dumb women with in 60's soft focus want that. Carol Marcus, she was smart. She got a baby and she got out.
    And you would have WON him. Unlike Kirk, who would express himself to anyone on the offchance of getting to express himself some more..
    I rather agree with this.

:: daydreams a little ::

Let me a just fetch you a mint julep Leonard, you've been working sooo hard today..

19. teacake

This is one of my favorite Trek vids. Really captures the Big Three. There is a minute refrain of McCoy in the middle of it that I love.

You'll fall in love with one of them watching this (or all)..

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvleFvxWcm8[/yt]

20. nureintier

Definitely would be a good choice, and I wasn't surprised in the episodes where alien women choose him for their "mate." (Even though Kirk always seemed surprised if an alien woman chose anyone over him.) ^_^

Still, you can have him. Nothing against McCoy, i just think Spock was better looking.

Haha, this.