Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a question regarding the size. From the pictures it looks like the size of this entire box is somewhat small. Is that the case or are they a lot bigger than that. I've made room on the shelf for them, but they looked small for 5 seasons worth. Of course maybe all that was done to scale.

2. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

It's about the size of five normal DVD cases sitting side-by-side. Which I guess is pretty small for a 26 disc set.

It was a bit larger than I was expecting from the promo pics though.

3. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the size is perfect to be honest.

I wish more DVD sets were packages to this degree.

Although if I were to be completely honest, I would of prefered a Hard-Shell box as opposed to the soft-cardboard shell the Season Cases came in.

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

When I first saw the picture of this, I thought it was a hard cardboard box just like the one A&E packaged the Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman seasons in. Those are a little sturdier than this, but this isn't so bad. At least it doesn't take up alot of shelf space.

5. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with the packaging comments. The set is sleek, attractive and compact ... everything a TV series set should be.

6. tomalak301

I got my set today. Originally I ordered it through Amazon, but in looking at some of the reviews, I found out that Best Buy does a price match with their site so I decided to go to the store and get the set for 70 bucks (turned out to be 76.46) and that includes Peacekeeper Wars. What a deal that turned out to be. So now I get to refuse the other Farscape when it comes and get a refund on that.

I've been watching some tonight (Watched Farscape Undressed, which is very entertaining even though I've seen it before) and I really like the format of these sets. They are really small (Each season coming in really a typical case for a movie on DVD, which is compact enough but quite easy to get to) but efficient. I kind of wish there was a guide with each season to tell where everything is (And maybe a synopsis of the episodes, much like what we got with the TNG and Babylon 5 sets) but this is fine. Also, I thought there was going to be more shelf space but like I said, this is a great format.

Call me crazy, but I'm a fan of TV trailers. I wish the Star Trek sets had them (Except for the original which did), and I love the fact that Babylon 5 has them. I'm a bit bummed that Season 3 is the only season that has them, and they are really really short. For some reason I thought they were longer. It's pretty much a short clip, and then the "This is Sci-Fi" (Man does that bring back memories of the old Sci-Fi Friday though :( ).

I watched Premiere and I, E.T tonight. Premiere is such a great intro to the series, but I E.T. is an episode I actually don't enjoy. I admit, the first season takes a while to get going, but once things get going and the characters are comfortable in the roles, this series starts really firing on all cylinders. I love the fact I have this set, and I love that on the 10th anniversary of the series, I can experience it again. Really looking forward to Season 2 and the Look at the Princess Trilogy. Haven't seen those episodes in hella long.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"I, E.T." is easily my least favorite episode of the series. Until now, I had forgotten that it existed.

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I recently rewatched the series, I liked "I, E.T." better than I remember doing. But yeah, for a series that had only just established how aggressively weird it's universe is, we spend the very next episode in some pseudo-Americana with people with some slight alien makeup. When Crichton points to the exotic Pilot and asks if that's more what these people were expecting from an alien lifeform, well, he's got a point as far as the audience goes too.

But leaving that aside it handles its ideas fairly well and was a pretty fair hour of TV. Crichton got to relate to the aliens and show himself as not completely worthless, just close to. There are much, much worse hours than that.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've decided this is my Christmas present.

10. tomalak301

If there was one thing I did like about this episode it was the perceptions every character had. When Crichton was looking at the planet and it's familiarity to Earth, I really liked Aeryn's reaction to him which was that he was complete nuts or something. Don't get me wrong, for a second episode I give it a pass because there are many kinks to work out, but knowing this series get's better, I, E.T unfortunately becomes one of the series' lowest hours.

11. Trubinator

Weird. I liked I, E.T fine. I guess it ain't for everyone though.

12. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I, E.T." isn't a great episode, but there are certainly worse ones. By far the worst is "A Prefect Murder" is season 4.

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

There's also Taking the Stone.

14. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Just got an email from Best Buy today that my set shipped. I can't wait!

15. Trubinator

What's so bad about A Prefect Murder? I mean, it wasn't stellar but I don't recall anything awful about it. Plus the art direction was pretty cool. Personally, my least favorite episode is Vita Mortis.

16. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never seen the show but having heard a lot of good things about it I want to get it but alas, all of the BB stores in this area are out of it. Alas, maybe I'll pick it up when I'm back in the US in January.

17. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I've started watching mine.

Big plot hole in "Exodus from Genesis"---why didn't they just put Aeryn in her Prowler? It has to have a suitable life support system, including A/C.

18. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's boring, meandering, the script is awfully written and paced, the story is limp. Just off the top of my head, the guy who's feeling up Sikozu gets no character development until quite literally his last scene of the episode.

I didn't mind the freakishly disgusting priest guy, he was one of Farscape's better guest puppets. About all I can say in its favour.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't think the story would have been that bad. It was just told in a really weird way. It was like they only had 15 minutes of story to tell, so they just decided to tell it over and over again from different people's point of view.

Definitely in my bottom 3.

20. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bah! BB has the price at $129.99 now!