If you wrote the next one, which original episode would you revisit?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Matt S, May 17, 2013.

1. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Re: If you wrote the next one, which original episode would you revisi

If they have to revisit a classic episode, I think The Doomsday Machine being involved somehow could make for a great story. You'd have to change it up pretty good from the original, maybe involve the Klingons or another race that discovered it and is using it for its own ends.

2. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is what I think they'll do next.

Star Trek 3 will find our heroes in year 3 or 4 of the Five Year Mission--when they receive an urgent message from Starfleet Command. Rumors are the Klingons, with Praxis having exploded and panic about the Khan Incident still pervading the Empire, are looking for any advantage in the upcoming war with the Federation.

A Klingon commander named KOR is in charge of a Klingon expedition to find a rumored "Doomsday Machine" which the Empire hopes will act as a counter to the Federation. The Klingons are convinced that Starfleet has access to the superhumans like Khan as well as the Red Matter from the first film.

KOR won't be a mustache twirling bad guy. Instead he'll be a man on a mission for his Empire, determined to beat the Federation and ensure military superiority for a Klingon Empire besieged by potential threats from Starfleet, the Romulans, etc.

At least that's how I'd do it. But we shall see.

3. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

None. They need to be original.

4. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't revisit any.

For exact same reason which as clear as day, sift through the grading thread. LOL

Fair enough, JJ chose to chronicle Kirk and crew, to some backlash, but most of us loved both films.

If it were me, I would try and come up with a uniquely original idea. Difficult as most great ideas have been used over and over and over. I wouldn't involve time travel or inter-dimensional travel. I would however have a few mandatory call backs, and maybe a mention, not an appearance, of a TOS character.

I did however have an idea for a possible show. 25ep season. 5ep blocks take place on four different ships, one villain, two hero and one bystander freighter or similar. Basically all will fall together in the 5 episode closing. All ships are witnessing an event from four different perspectives. In the final ep arc the big bad or agenda is unveiled and all four ships team up or they will all be a victim of whatever it is. Co operation is the goal, even of they're all rivals to begin with.

It's a long shot idea I had many years ago.

I don't know what I'll do to be fair. As a trek fan I will probably ruin it with unintentional fanwankery. That's why JJ is good for trek, he adds outsider fanwankery

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mirror, Mirror.

Not the way the comics did it..

which was a story told by 'regular' universe characters, and thus not real...

But a full-out MU slugfest. Not necessarily even involving the RU at all. Or even retelling STXI from a MU perspective, although that would also be possible (i.e. MU Nero is a resistance fighter against the Terran Empire who travels back and tries to wipe out the family of Emperor Kirk)...

6. IvosevicJ

IvosevicJ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as I would love to see an original story I believe the next movie by JJ Abrams will be a rethread of The Undiscovered Country. I lay out the reasons HERE Warning there are spoilers in that post.

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think that's a misreading.
    The framing device with McCoy and Scotty is no more than what it is presented as - Scotty explaining to McCoy the theory behind alternate timelines.
    I don't see anything in Scotty and McCoy's discussion that states, or even implies, that Scotty is telling McCoy a story. Those bookend panels work entirely on their own without the Mirror Universe story.

In fact, the narration of the comic makes it very clear that the Mirror Universe is real within the context of its fictional story, as it explicitly states "a new reality is born." That narration isn't from Mirror Spock's point-of-view, either; it's an omniscient narration.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Going by the rest of the post which was wrapped around that sentence, I suspect it probably was.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He didn't say "hey there, sexy lady" (which is crass), he said "Hello ladies, Jim Kirk". They catch his eye, he turns, they look back and he just has to introduce himself. This works really well because he's on his way to see Pike who he thinks is going to give him the premiere assignment of the 5 year mission. He's incredibly cocky and Pike is going to shoot him down just like Uhura shot him down in the bar in 2009.

Yes this is totally true and yes it is K/S heaven. And we saw it all before in TOS where he had a much deeper and closer relationship to Spock than to any of his women.

We have to disagree on that one! Though the pinnacle of sex in JJTrek for me is NuSpock.

10. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I'm sorry, but I still disagree.

The episode as written and filmed seemed to be an attempt to be 'with it' much like this POS movie that was released by Paramount in the same year as 'The Way To Eden'. If the episode was really about a guru, it could have been filmed without using such obvious signifiers like the colorful hippie clothing and the futuristic 'peace' symbol used by Sevrin and his group. Instead, both are used, and both date the episode completely, instead of fitting in organically into the 23rd century setting.

Also, with all due respect to the writer, I have a hard time believing that life in the United Earth/UFP would be considered so onerous that there would be rebels against it; this belief is just as silly as that of Maurice & Yvette Picard's (and as mentioned by James Van Hise in one of his books, neither the Picard family or the members of Sevrin's party should even have any memory of what life was like in previous centuries to be reenacting it in their daily lives.) As well, the situation between the UFP and the Threat races isn't half as bad as the Cold War (and I'm sorry WarpFactorZ, but the Occupy movement was a reaction against the kind of capitalism we have now; I would think that the human race had learned a lesson about not letting it get out of hand to the degree it's gotten.) A hippie that was transplanted from the 1960's to the 23rd century, having got a glimpse of life in the future, would consider it a paradise, enough that they'd be detesting Sevrin & Co. as phonies with no real grudge (and probably even sitting down Sevrin & Co. to give them a long, frank historical talk about what was going on back in the 1960's during the original flower power movement, why there was one, and why Sevrin's movement/gripe isn't in the same league.) The whole episode would have been much better off filmed as it was supposed to be (as 'Joanna') rather than what was put on screen and transmitted.

11. teacake

In my super humble opinion the only truly boring episode of TOS is The Alternative Factor.

12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^No disagreement there, but 'The Way To Eden' is still shit for me.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with those that say Mirror Mirror. I think that would perhaps be the funnest episode to do.

Others:
    Arena (could've been a nice tie-in to the Gorn video game if they had thought it through)
    The Trouble with Tribbles
    Errand of Mercy
    Day of the Dove
    Balance of Terror
    The Enterprise Incident
    Amok Time
    The Doomsday Machine

14. teacake

^OOOOOOOOOOooo The Enterprise Incident!! Now that excites me.

Romulans. NuSpock in disguise having to pimp himself out to a gorgeous Romulan commander. Uhura must sacrifice her lover's loyalty to save the ship.

15. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Empath
    Don't care if it makes a dime I'd love to see it, my fav episode by a wide margin

Then in closing credits a planet killer wiping out a dozen Klingon D-7s

16. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lol - I'm aware that I didn't quote it accurately. I was exaggerating to make a point.

Eh, Spock never did much for me, and Quinto does even less than Nimoy. But Karl Urban, mmmmm....

Fair enough - and an excellent defense of your position. I agree that the space hippies are silly, but I do think there's a valid idea in Way to Eden. I've known too many neo-hippies myself who get sold on idealism and are shocked to discover their guru's feet of clay. It happened with Obama, honestly. He rode to victory on a wave of idealism that he was somehow a better person than your average politician. Then two years later I'm sitting with my sister on her porch and practically in tears she says, "I guess he's going to be just another president", and I reflected on the disappointment that is inevitable in putting a leader up on a pedestal.

17. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

City on the Edge of Forever - Reset the timeline to it's proper flow. :)

18. Nameless Crewman

Nameless Crewman Captain Captain

Well I would like to see something new but a type of story more along the lines of The Cage or a Forbidden Planet type of story. I want some type of mystery, something you need to try and figure out more than just sit back and watch things blow up or some villain to battle with.

19. abaldwin360

abaldwin360 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've always wanted a big-screen version of "The Doomsday Machine".

Or at least for the planet killer to be featured in a Star Trek film.

20. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

Another larger-than-the-Enterprise super-ship ? ;)