So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan

--Sran

2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Is Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan a good book?
    I'm hearing that the ending is disappointing

3. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm still making my way through Three.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I picked up a few things at a used-book sale to benefit the library, including an Alfred Bester anthology called The Dark Side of the Earth, which has a freaky (and slightly NSFW) cover image:

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/images/e/e7/DRKSDOTE1970.jpg

It's mostly rather short stories tending toward humor and wordplay -- as the title suggests, SF/fantasy set on Earth and usually the present or near future. They're fun, with some imaginative ideas, but with very 1950s gender values.

I also got a copy of Bester's The Demolished Man that must've been released around the same time, since it has the same cover artist and title font. I knew that I already had a copy of either TDM or The Stars My Destination, and they had both for sale, but I wasn't entirely sure which one I already had. Fortunately I correctly remembered that it was TSMD.

5. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

The other day I finished "Darkness" from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table.

Yesterday I listened to the Torchwood audio drama, "House of the Dead."

I then read the Shelby story from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table, "Pain Management" by Peter David.

I'm now reading the first story in Torchwood: Consequences, "The Baby Farmers" by David Llewellyn.

6. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm starting The Ashes Of Eden this evening. I've read a few of the Shatnerverse books, but never the first. I'm in the mood for some Reeves-Stevens so I thought this would be a quick fix.

7. C. Cole-Chakotay

I finished Three in the wee hour this morning. I think I'll read Monument 14: Savage Drift next.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started the third (digital) TBP of Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman series. I read through the zero issue already, and it was pretty fun.

9. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished "Rings of Time" by Greg Cox (2012) rather quickly as it was good reading then I started "The Tempest" by Susan Wright (1997, DS9 #19) and am now one-third of the way through. Also read (twice) "On Interpretation" by Aristotle. I might even one day finish all of Aristotle's Organon and even better appreciate logic. Is it illogical not to experience and train one's emotions? What would Surak say? ... Perhaps semiotics is more useful than gut feelings? Perhaps there is a thinking parallel to gut feelings which is more suitable to solving problems and helping people. More than another form of ANOVA extrapolated into the future. Perhaps not.

10. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Still bouncing back and forth between Star Trek and Star Wars novels. My last book was finishing up the remaining unread short stories from Tales from the Empire. Now I'm about halfway through Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures and absolutely loving it. Up next is I, Jedi.

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Is that the one with the "Long live the king?" story?

EDIT: Oh, I've just looked it up. The one I'm thinking of was in Tales From the New Republic.

New Republic, Empire... same thing.

12. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just finished "The Gods of Night" - the first book in the Destiny series. Very enjoyable and looking forward to finding out more about the Caeliar in "Mere Mortals."

13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the last couple of weeks I've read books two and three of Sara Sheridan's Mirabelle Bevan series, London Calling and England Expects, and her two short stories The Morello Diamonds and London to Edinburgh. Enjoyed this series a lot, so it's a shame that there aren't any more books in the series yet.

Then I read The Art of War by Sun Tzu, and The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. I've read most of Agatha Christie's work, but I've not read any of the Tommy and Tuppence series before. More of an adventure story than one of her traditional mystery stories - though some of the plot developments were a bit far-fetched - e.g. characters saying the first thing that comes into their head, which just happens to be the secret codeword known to the other person. Overall I liked it, though.

I also read a few Agatha Christie short stories - Manx Gold, Death by Drowning, The Hound of Death, The Gypsy and The Lamp.

So I'm now reading Above Suspicion by Lynda La Plante, and The Devil's Novice by Ellis Peters, the eighth book in the Cadfael Chronicles.

I'm currently working my way through the fourth season of Enterprise on Blu-Ray, after which I plan to read the two Rise of the Federation books.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Have four Tor manuscripts to write cover copy for . . . So much for any free reading!

15. C. Cole-Chakotay

The Last Dogs: Dark Waters by Christopher Holt.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got two books (as usual) going.

Starfire by Charles Sheiffeld, and Christopher's excellent Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel.

I know I've said in the past that I wanted to see more Star Trek books get back to telling stories within their respective shows' timeframe (well, except TOS, they're still doing that), but I have to say that ENTERPRISE is the exception to this. I really like the storyline of Archer and his (former) crew setting up the Federation, and I hope it continues.

Of course, if a novel set within the four years of the show were to also come out one of these days, I wouldn't complain.:bolian:

17. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Since my last post I finished Torchwood: "The Baby Farmers" from the anthology Consequences.

I then read the Klag story from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table, "loDnI'pu' vavpu' je" by KRAD.

After that I read "Kaleidoscope" by Sara Pinborough, also from Torchwood: Consequences.

Yesterday I read "The Officers' Club" by Heather Jarman, the Kira story from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table.

Next up is Torchwood: Consequences - "The Wrong Hands" by Andrew Cartmel.

18. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started The Book of Destiny by Fr. Herman Kramer.

19. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Knocked out a fair bit of the reading back log. Star Trek Vol. 6: After Darkness which I really didn't care for, Star Trek Vol. 7: The Khitomer Conflict which was pretty enjoyable, Doctor Who Series 3 Vol. 4: Dead Man's Hand which was a nice farewell letter from IDW to the franchise, if it felt a bit like Tony Lee had three separate ideas about what to do and shoved them all together.

I also tore through Doctor Who: Time Trips: The Bog Warrior. Basically just Cinderella, unabashedly so. It wasn't particularly good, some good moments, but I don't think either writer has really gotten 10's voice in the Time Trips series.

20. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Hope you liked it. :)