Iron Man 2: Grading, Review, Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SalvorHardin, Apr 29, 2010.

?

Grade Iron Man 2

1. Excellent

60 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Above Average

67 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Average

29 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Below Average

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Terrible

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, the suit did have plumbing, so it wasn't the first time he peed in it. Though, as we saw... Well, does anyone remember David Sedaris's article about the "Stadium Pal"?

You know, he was probably in that suit for at least twelve hours when he went to Unspecifiedistan in the first movie. Next time I watch that, I'm going to be wondering throughout the sequence if, at any point, he's availing himself of the facilities.

2. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I would have called it a serious design flaw if he didn't rig up a "Waste extraction" system into the suit, considering that he has to be literally unbolted out of the suit. And I doubt the cod piece pops open so "little Tony" can pop out and make wee wee without splashing onto the armor.

He's probably got something like the astronauts have set up down there. Of course slightly more advanced, maybe there's a sort of moving thing in the crotchpiece that opens his fly flap so he can relieve himself. Although I really don't want to think about solid waste .... eeeeeewwww.

And keep in mind, even in the comics, Iron Man sometimes spends days in the suit. So if there's no "facilities" for going to the can inside the can...

I think they could have done without it, but it did get one of the bigger laughs at the showing I went to. And it helped prod Rhodey into acting. As if a billionaire falling drunk in a suit of armor that cost as much as a fighter jet and blasting stuff wasn't enough...

3. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Fremen can recycle their waste, I think Iron Man can too.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Iron Bladder Man has no need of such facilities.

5. Finally got around to seeing it. Short version... fun movie, not quite as good as part 1 but still fairly worthy. Also, 1st half of the movie was better than the 2nd half. Great setup.

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't elaborate on what SHIELD was exactly and who Nick Fury was. I knew because I'm a comics nerd. The two people I was with had no clue, and I had to whisper explain who the Avengers are and who Fury was, during the movie. That was really distracting.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I went with my nephew and some of his friends and all of the Marvel Universe references were lost on him. When it was done, we had to explain to him who Thor was and what the Avengers were.

Me: Do you know what the Justice League is?
    Him: Uh, yeh.
    Me: The Avengers are the Marvel comics version.
    Him: Oh. Cool.

7. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're delving too much into Avengers lore. They should stick to the title character. It's his movie, after all.

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Could've happened while watching Green Lantern or Superman when they referenced the Justice League.. just shows he has more knowledge of DC than Marvel.

However that's what introductory movies are for.. Iron Man did a perfect job introducing Tony Stark and the same goes for all first movies in the Marvel franchise (some do it better and some not).
    I'm sure that when Thor rolls around they will explain Asgard, Odin, Mjolnir etc. and he will know enough to grasp that Thor is one of the heavy hitters of the Marvel universe.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

A month into release and Iron Man is still inside the top 5 at the box office. Placing 4th over the long Memorial Day weekend to bring its USdomestic total to $275m and WWtotal to $555.6 million.

Weak competition is making Iron Man seem a bit more glossy than once viewed. Or some say.

10. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I think IM2 still will hold up as a decent movie, it's really about time a sequel just sort of enjoyed itself for once. Were there things I would have changed or seen done differently? Sure... but was it fun? Damn straight!

Although I'm still miffed that the AC/DC "Soundtrack" was a lie. From all the prior reports I thought that the majority of the main themes would be based around AC/DC music and it wasn't. So technically we never got the soundtrack for this movie.

11. Captain Craig

Iron Man edges ever closer to the $300 million mark after this past weekend. It now stands at $291 million US domestic. It has a good shot at hitting it next weekend to be the first summer movie to hit $300 and he second of the year.

12. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally got around to seeing this over the weekend. Above average.

As good as the first movie overall, better in some aspects. All due respect to Terrance Howard, but Don Cheadle is a better Rhodey, IMO. Johannson as Black widow is fantastic. Nice to see more of Nick fury this time around. And the post-end credits sequence got a squee out of me. I admit it.

To whomever is in charge of such things: Please give Jon Favreau whatever he wants to do a third Iron Man movie.

13. Captain Craig

Iron Man 2 has now hit the $300+ million mark US domestic. Some 5&half weeks after release Iron Man 2 has made just shy $600 million worldwide and its still counting. Its slowing down to be sure but it is now the second movie to hit $300 domestic stateside. The leader is Alice in Wonderland at $333million. Sadly there is not a scenario where IM:2 can overtake it but it'll close the gap some before summer is out.

14. Captain Craig

Iron Man 2 hit it's likely last mark at the US dom box office.
    It crossed the $310m mark this weekend and now has a $614m WW total.

Its going to come in just shy of Iron Man 1's take it seems of $318.

15. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

I agree that Cheddle's portrayal of Roades was much better as well as less wooden than Howard's version,and obviously RDJ's getting more comfortable with Tony Stark.
    Once they get the other movies out of the way Re: Thor,AntMan,and The Avengers,Doctor Strange,Captain America or Marvel TV could bridge the gap by having an Iron Man TV series that uses RDJ temporarly for season one,and two with the avengers guest-staring,and then the actor who played a character named stark on Eureka could continue playing Stark for seasons three through seven.
    Meanwhile RDJ returns to playing Iron Man on the big screen for IM3,4 etc.

Any thoughts

Signed

Buck Rogers

16. Captain Craig

Iron Man 2 hits store shelves next Tuesday September 28.
    Details.

Iron Man 2 finished its run with a US total of $312m and worldwide total of $621m. It currently stands as the #3 film of the year.

I saw the movie twice in the theater. Once opening weekend and once again in August when it hit the $1.50 theater in my area. Wanted to see if it held up(initially I liked it) or if it was as flawed as so many insisted. While I wouldn't argue it could've used some tighting up in spots it works as good sequel and set-up for more of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I don't find it as jarring as some and will be getting this either when it comes out or gamble and see if its a Black Friday special. Either way I'll be getting Iron Man 2, will you?

17. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pre-ordered it on blu for a mere $15. :techman:

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Doubt I will get this one on DVD. There's just not much "rewatch" value in it. Well, I guess Scarlett's creamy, nude, scene in the back of the car is and a couple of the fight scenes, but that's all pretty much out-done by the lame drunk scenes and the pretty much pointless Avengers set-up.

19. Captain Craig

Really? I'm curious where and how many discs that is for?
    Amazon and Deep Discount are the two I normally check.

Link please? :cool: I may have to preorder it to then.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Would this movie have worked better if there was a cliffhanger ending?

Like, if Vanko revealed that he supplied arc reactor knock-offs to several criminals over the world and the last scene shows dozens of them all converging on the Stark Expo. Stark evacuates everyone and then the last scene is him, alone, and injured from his final battle with Vanko, preparing to go off to battle them all.

Then cut to black.