The New Enterprise in 3D! ... NOW FINISHED (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What drawing prgram are you using judexavier?

2. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

When will you be doing "Narada in 3D"? Why not try doing a picture of the Ent at warp?

3. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

An ancient copy of photoshop, and the line tool.
    I should have used the pen/curve tool, but I was really just sketching
    for my own "notes".
    I think I've been staring at blobs and blurs too long...perhaps I'm
    just seeing things at this point. :)

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

This is starting to remind me of analyzing 1970's UFO pics. Or maybe the Zapruder film.

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better get Peter Davenport on the line.

6. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry my coast to coast listening days are way behind me since I no longer work the night shift.

7. Alexborn007

Alexborn007 Cadet Newbie

That's some great work! The whole design has come along nicely.

I was wondering though: could it be possible to see the model using the registration number font from the movies (and iirc, the subsequent series)? Based on the trailer, it seems like that's the font they're using.

Not sure if this is a big request or not--or if I'm even correct--but I'm curious to see what it looks like that way. Thanks so much! Great work!

8. judexavier

I've been using the "Dev Gothic" font, after looking at way too many fonts, :) this seemed somewhat close. I'm not sure what Madman is using, but his really seem to have the right shape, spacing and proportion. I don't know if the new movie fonts are quite as stylized as the ones from the older movies, TNG, etc. Seeing the two side by side would be interesting.

9. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Interesting comments, everybody.

I've been away at Disney World, and just got back. I wasn't going to pay $10 a day for the internet. :)

About the Nacelles... In the image where the enterprise is on the ground, they don't look like they get all that small at the back, especially where you can see the one behind the other. I think we are not used to seeing that scoop thing on the bottom, and it is throwing us all off. I built my engines first, then added the scoop later.

About the font... I'm using a free font called "Federation" that I found somewhere, but on the C's I cut off some of the parts. It looked pretty close. I have the font from the movie versions, also, but it doesn't look the same at all!

I'll be back later after I recover from unpacking and settling in..............

-=MadMan=-

10. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Thats why you should become a Disney vacation club member, free internet when you stay at vacation club spots.

11. MadMan1701A

Nah, we don't go often enough to worry about it. My Wife is the one that likes to go, and I think I can get out of going again for a while. :) I mean, I like it ok, but there are TOO MANY people around. Not to mention the rude people....

-=MadMan=-

12. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Rude? At the happiest place on Earth? Say it ain't so!

13. judexavier

You think Disney World is bad, try Branson. :)
    If you're lucky you might catch my brother-in-law doing a "Little-Elvis" act.
    (Although that's usually more of a Memphis gig).

Anyway, are you planning to do any revising based on the new huge shots?

(I think at this point I'm going to delete everything and wait for the stinkin' movie to come out. :)

14. MadMan1701A

New huge shots? Did I miss something while I was gone?!?

-=MadMan=-

15. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Not really...it's a really BIG version of the beauty pic released before. The article CLAIMS it's high res, but it looks pretty dark and grainy to me.

16. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Judexavier I've used your orthos to start building a 3D model of the Enterprise. Take a look. (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MadMan1701A, have you released your Enterprise publicly? If you have, could you give me a download link? I'd love to look at your mesh to see how you did your secondary hull. I'm worried about doing that part.

17. MadMan1701A

That's looking great!

I haven't really released it publicly, but I did send a copy out for a game conversion.

I'll tell you all I did... I just made a cylinder, (which is probably not accurate) and made a shape to cut with a boolean at the front. It was trial and error, I doubt I could reproduce what I did. :)

Judging by what I can see in those High Res pics, there is A LOT of things I didn't notice. It's time for a new model. :)

-=Madman=-

18. judexavier

Man that is cool. :) Please tweak liberally :), as I've changed the nacelle width, the pylon width from the side....all sorts of little things (I can't make up my mind !!?!?! @#*$$((%(). Looks great.

I have to say, I open these modelling programs and my brain just glazes over. Thank God for you talented people who can master them.

19. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man,you really need to learn 3D, it's a shame you don't already know it. You'd be a fantastic 3D artist with an eye for detail like yours. I felt like you when I first opened a 3D program. It scared me to death. Believe it or not, this is only the second 3D model I've ever attempted. The first model I attempted was the original TOS Enterprise about a year ago.

You can view the work in progress of that model here...

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/37300-tos-enterprise-ncc-1701-my-first-model.html

Anyway, there are some great training DVDs and books that can get you started in 3D. Don't be afraid to try. Also, have you updated your blueprints anymore? I'll use the more up to date ones before I continue further if you have them.

20. judexavier

I've done a few changes.
    I'll open a new thread or something to post them, or I could just email you jpgs? The changes are really minor.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about programs like Blender or Truespace, even the google thing. I dabbled in Bryce years ago, but it wasn't exactly precise, and it was way too much for my computers back then. ("oh only 97 hours to go before my chrome mountain is done rendering....")
    Hell that was no fun. :)
    I've got the new MS/freebie truespace installed, just haven't messed with it. I can see you align the flat ortho images, and then model from that. So there is an "ortho-camera-view" of the model without any 3D perspective effect? Is there any "absolute" scale to these models, or are they like vector artwork that can be continuously zoomed in on, tiny details added?
    (I'm so used to raster/photoshop, and making HUGE files to compensate for zooming in and still being able to do tiny things).

Anyway, can't wait to see more of your work on this. :)