The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thought so, thank you. Some money I can spend elsewhere then.

Why would you paint them silver...

OMG that is ingenious! May I steal this idea? That is really awesome. Only problem is that with each season having a new costume, I would need to buy four new Oliver figures to cover them all.

May I ask what those boxes are? I'm thinking about doing this for a while now. Oh how I wish they had gotten the Arrow cave accessories out - the green crate and the stand with his arrows on it and lots more nice stuff. They could have added one item to each figure and if you bought them all you had a complete cave.

[​IMG]

2. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

My latest purchase- a camper for my mini American Girls!

[​IMG]

Sorry, Shelf Avengers. It's too big for you!

[​IMG]

The camper is going to be decorated for Christmas. I have mini trees and lights to string on it.

I also picked up a Mi World OPI Salon:

[​IMG]

It's just a little too small for the AG minis.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

got the F-91 Gundam in the mail today and built it. took about three hours. i didn't realize how small it was when placed near the Denial Gundam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

I share my ideas for the benefit of everyone. I have only the 1 Funko Oliver so far, and Flash, though I suppose I could custom the white chest insignia, and they are only $10 each, so not to bad, plus I think I hit a sale at B&N today.
    The clear plastic boxes are from any hobby or box store and come in many sizes. I got these decades ago.

CCC.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I think my Mom would have loved you, KM. Your tastes in dolls and toys are ones she understood. :)

6. Kira's Mom

:)

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I was out doing some shopping today since I have the week off for vacation (yay vacation! :biggrin:) and I hit a couple of big scores. I was at the local TrU and came across something I couldn't pass up: Xoromon the Scorpion Knight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He hails from Schleich's Eldrador fantasy line, which is mainly about two rival kingdoms (the dragon knights and the griffin knights), but Xoromon himself is basically a wild card with no specific affiliation. He's an expert in poisons and presumably could fight for any side that wants to hire him, since nobody would want to argue with a giant scorpion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scorpion is pretty nicely detailed and has a fully articulated tail which can be positioned in a variety of ways. The claws are also articulated and can open (but have no way of staying open unfortunately) and can be rotated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xoromon himself doesn't offer much in the way of articulation, which is typical of Schleich knights. He can't stand all that well because he's molded in the riding position, but I think the amount of detailing and the paintwork is easily nice enough to make up for it. Both figures look pretty good, and although they're a bit pricy (mine cost about $50) they're a nice option if you've always wanted a badass giant scorpion rider in your collection. :D

I also picked up the complete Minicomic Collection for MOTU. For those of us who had the fun of growing up in the glorious '80s, MOTU was one of several major toylines that had very detailed minicomics packed in with figures and vehicles, and this book includes literally every comic made from the original line all the way up through some of the 2003 series comics. This includes the She-Ra minicomics, the ones from the 1990s series (which to their credit, are much closer in tone to the original 1980s comics and less like the cartoon's silly aspects), and some of the more unusual very early He-Man comics before some of the major elements were added in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also includes some interviews with the designers, artists, writers and others who helped to create the MOTU universe and define some of the traits that became iconic. It was first published in October and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves MOTU and/or fantasy comics in general. :techman:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  8. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

I have never been a big fan of the Schleich figures. I just don't see paying that much for a non poseable figure. Now the giant scorpion is another matter and that plus the display box is worth it.

CCC.

9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm generally picky about the ones I have, as I think Schleich does some really nice work on display figures (like their historical knights, which I have some of), and they also make some mounts like griffins for some of their fantasy figures. You're right that the lack of articulation on the figures is certainly something to consider, but I think in this particular case it's a pretty good find. The scorpion is pretty decent on its articulation, and they look good together. :)

10. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That camper for the dollies is so cute! I'm always melting when you show your newest purchase.

That Scorpion is not exactly cute, but still very nice!

My Doctor fought with the holiday lights today - and lost:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cooleddie74

It's like the Fourth Doctor's scarf, only with Christmas lights! :D

12. Kira's Mom

I did something similar to my Hawkeye figure last year. Christmas lights and action figures do not mix!

Emma Louise is ready for the holidays!

An "Ugly Christmas Sweater":

[​IMG]

The Christmas apron and Santa hat, plus the necklace I made:

[​IMG]

13. cooleddie74

That's a better-looking Christmas sweater than some real-life ones I've seen! :)

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It's been a while since I've posted. Life has been crazy. I've moved to a new city, sold quite a bit of my collection away, and am generally less active in the hobby than I was before.

So what could be bringing me back to this board, and to this thread in particular? Oh.....this!

[​IMG]

:D

15. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

Nice, but can he sustain? What would he have 12 of?

CCC.

16. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

SOOO glad to see you return to this thread! :bolian:

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Thanks, It's good to be back.

18. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

:evil:

The first 2 of my Christmas figures have arrived. I'll let you fill in the blanks.....
    [​IMG]
    ( )
    [​IMG]
    ( )
    [​IMG]
    ( )

CCC.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi! we missed you. welcome back.

20. Kira's Mom

The return of OdoWan! Yay! :D