TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Naraht, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Many thanks, Whoa Nellie. Though I feel that the 'Pun-ishment' series is less recommended than inflicted. :lol:

My list is less long than perhaps it should be, not out of ego, but for time constraints. I have so many stories I have to finish, including this one about a realllly big dragon.....

One constraint on recommends--its so hard for we unpaid authors to actually complete the ambitious plans we lay down. It takes a concerted effort, and most any little RL event can put paid to that. :(

2. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Perhaps if we can remind people that the whole forum is a place to showcase your own work, and this thread is a small space for fanfic writer to recommend what they read of other people's work.

Thank you. :)

3. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Manager of the board here.

You most definitely need to cut back on the self-promotion. I went through a good number of your threads and almost without fail, the topic was:

"Read our fan fic! It's great! We won some online award!"

Now I don't have a problem with some self-promotion, it's only logical that fan-fic authors want others to read their stuff.

But you're overdoing it. Big time.

And by the way, account sharing is against the BBS rules. I would suggest that you drop the royal "We" while you're at it.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh don't wanna be a downer before I make my suggestions but in the very first thread Naraht's links don't seem to be working. They load which I assume is supposed to be a TrekBBS FanFic thread but there is a message saying it can't be found or some such. Just thought I'd point that out becuase I'd really like to check out a couple of the suggestions listed there.

Oh and I nearly forgot...but if anyone can track down the link, or maybe you can ask him to email it to you, but Ptrope's "Endeavour"(his version of Enterprise) is an excellent read and IMHO the way the show should've been written. It's not finsihed yet but well worth the read.

Admiral Young

Anyways I would like to second the suggestions of Emperor Tiberius, Naraht, Gjob there work is some of the finest. Along with a former member named Krag(I think that was his name, he wrote a bunch of excellent mirror universe type stories and did a awesome Dominion/Borg War story as well a couple years ago. There was a poster here that had a story called "Epilogue" that was like an extra hour of "Endgame" it basicly just wrapped up what we didn't seem to get on screen. If anyone can remember the thread...please post it.

Admiral Young

5. Naraht

Naraht Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect that the threads that I originally linked to have now been pruned from the board. Thankfully, though, the writers concerned have posted their stories on the internet. So I will re-iterate my very strong recommendations for:

Star Trek: Lazarus by Focus Abbey

Orders of Magnitude by John Z. Drake

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the nod my way, Admiral Young. :)

6. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

ooh... this does sound interesting! Thanks for the recommendation :cool:

7. LISA_t

LISA_t Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Fanfic recs? Let's see...

TNG: I'd add Naraht, but she's been added, several times :lol: :lol:. Another great TNG writer is the author of the mammoth Echoes, still ongoing at ASC...

Truth is, I've read so much now that I'm suffering from it-all-runs-together-itis.

Voyager:
    MC Moose- superb Janeway characterisation. (see ASC Archives)
    Kira 47 on Fanfic.net- shippy, but beautifully written.
    Kerry's 'Voyager Days' series. This is mostly J/C, but friendship rather than romance, and they're very funny- may be accessible through J/CVille. (oh dear. I think I'm going to crawl under a nice rock now, having declared myself to be a thorough shipper..)

Just realised I've actually recommended more VOY than TNG, even though TNG is my first Trek love! I suppose I'm more critical now; with a lot of the TNG/P/C stuff I was thinking, 'whoo hoo! free stuff to read and lots of it' and as long as the SPAG/GAPS was ok, I read it. Often regretted it too.

8. Rikerbabe

Rikerbabe Commodore Commodore

Where could I find the fanfic Echoes ? I googled it and tried to find it, to no avail. Any idea who the author is?

Thanks!

9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

No mentioning of my Kes stories. :eek: :( :scream:

10. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a story called Echoes in the Trekiverse archive by an author called Ke Roth. Is that the one you want? I Googled Trekiverse Echoes and it got me to this page. :)

11. Naraht

Naraht Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ke Roth's Echoes can be found collected right here. It's a little easier to handle than the Trekiverse version.

Happy reading; it really is a marvelous novel. :)

12. Rikerbabe

Thanks ladies! :) :)

13. mackillian

mackillian Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just have to say absofreakinglutely for Ke Roth's Echoes.

14. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

My episode proposal, Operation Typhoon, is now complete. However, it should be in Future of Trek...

15. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

We've already said that this thead is not for recommending one's own fic, Hammer. Please stick to that.

As for your story, I consulted with T'Bonz, and she agreed with me it was fanfic. If you wanted it posted elsewhere, perhaps you should have posted it there in the first place: but it would have been moved.

16. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I read ENT fan fic (tho I read TNG novels as well as the ENT ones, so maybe I'll give some of those TNG suggestions a look-see) and my fave, all time wonderful fan fic is "Cry Havoc" by Missanthropic at Hot (House of Tucker)

Link: Cry Havoc

It's listed as NC-17, but only Chapter 15 can be rated as such. It's a fantastic story, but it's also 'shippy towards Trip and T'Pol, so take that as you will. It takes place during the third season (in the Expanse) and introduces some new characters, and a new ship. It's long, but I read it in one sitting, 'cos I just couldn't stop!

:thumbsup:

17. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I'd like to read this. I must've missed the link.

18. ghiaman74

ghiaman74 Commander Red Shirt

I can't seem to find it in the trekbbs archives, so I've started posting the chapters here: http://www.fanfiction.net/~ghiaman

19. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Joe will be very pleased to see Liberty getting so many recommendations here. I'm please to have had the pleasure of writing with him too (Argus is Liberty's sister ship).

Outside of Liberty I'd also recommend Banshee Squadron by Richard Merk - it's quite a refreshing approach, following a squadron of female fighter pilots in the Briar patch.

20. Rikerbabe

I just finished Echoes . What a wonderful read! One of the best things I truly think was that it was 188 chapters long, so it lasted a good long while :).

Does anyone know if there's any more fanfic from Ke Roth ?